1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU How old is your current PC and when are you planning to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 3 Nov 2016.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

KabyLake DT is due to launch in Jan and I've still seen very little talk on it so I'm wondering: how old is your current PC CPU/MB (~which gen?) and when do you think you'll be upgrading next?

:thumb:

Me: X99, 1 year old and no interest for next ~2 years at least, bar any essential tech updates.

2. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Me too X99, i7 5930K, RVE over 2 years old. I am more than happy with my machine and not planning to upgrade for a while. 2x980Ti is still sufficient for me and again I don't see the point upgrading to Pascal and holding out for future releases.

Looking around, probably the only thing I am missing is VR but again I am not sure whether to plunge for it now.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Current PC is a GA-X79-UD5 with an E5-2670 8 core Xeon (around 4 years old but the Xeon is recent), no upgrades planned for the foreseeable future.

4. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Been waiting for the Q6600 to Sandybridge type jump that's just not coming :)

2 x 2500 based, so they are 5 maybe coming up on 6 years old now...

The HTPC needs a new motherboard (it sometimes fails to power on, doesnt even post, just whirs at me) so that's likely going to need a bump sooner rather than later as matx P67 boards are like rocking horse ****.
    I might do the main PC next year.....but I have nothing to upgrade for. I can't really see 3d so it's pretty much pointless for me, and VR gives me nausea :)

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Z77, Ivy Bridge i5-3570K, paired with a 980ti

- happy for now, no intent on upgrading either anytime soon. Only upgrade I'm eyeing is a large SSD to take the place of the spinning rust for game installs...

6. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Main system: X99-Deluxe, 5960X and 4x8gig DDR4 (3400) - I have no plans whatsoever to upgrade.

Until a couple of years ago I used to upgrade to the newest CPU/Motherboard upon release, but it's pointless now. My system will easily deal with anything I can chuck at it. The only things I have upgraded in the last year are the Ram, SSD (now on m.2) and my graphics card (I got sick to death with the lack of support for SLI, so went back to a single card (1080) and am so much happier).

When the demands of the software surpass my current hardware, then I will upgrade. The GPU is the only thing I can see myself upgrading in the next year or so though.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Not counting a motherboard replacement, my current PC is only a couple of months old.

It will probably see a video card and CPU upgrade at some point but I don't plan on completely overhauling it for a good 4-5 years.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2016
  8. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

About 2 years for the PC and 3 on the work laptop.

I'm not planning on upgrading the PC for a while yet and I'm in love my work laptop so don't want to let go of it.

We've bonded.

Don't make it any weirder than it already is...

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Sandy bridge 2700k z68 with Gigabyte's "touch BIOS" marketing gimmick which is just a normal BIOS and windows program. They were late to market with UEFI. It was purchased mid-way through Ivy Bridge shelf life, so probably 4-5 years now.

Zero plans to upgrade next year or so. Currently disposable income is going into drones: DJI Mavic pro :D

Although with video editing, I may need to up the RAM from 16GB. It's a good excuse for a second hand Skylake or whatever last gen Intel hexcore. I always buy 1 generation behind because frankly there's no need to buy brand new latest computer hardware nowadays. It's only 20% faster at most.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

3.5 Years

Upgrade... no idea. No "need" for an upgrade, so it's liable to be an purchase based on teh shinies if anything (i.e Surface Studio mayhaps)

11. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Too old :blush:

Athlon Phenom 550 BE on a MSI 770.

Really would love something faster and more ram but just can't afford it. Hopefully this will last another year or 3!

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm running westmere. I'm planning to upgrade about 18 months ago. That didn't work out. But it's definitely time for a new cpu and motherboard. So hopefully in the next 12 months.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Z77 IvyBridge 3770K with a 1080. SSD based. No interest to be honest, I'm not running in to problems with the CPU. Doubt it'll need replacing for another 2-3 years at least.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Asus marketing research in action? ;)

Only thing I'm intending to swap out for the next 5ish years are the GPUs every generation (5930K/6850K owner), unless there are revelations in CPU performance - and I mean REAL revelations, like quantum computing for the masses or something.

PC ages related to the chips installed.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

How Old? - Old-ish, Z97 + G3258 + 650ti

Plan to upgrade? - Can't afford to

16. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

See sig.

Kaby lake will have to be something pretty special to convince me to upgrade. I would also consider Zen if the price & performance was right.

In all seriousness though, the only feature that I'm interested in is a M.2 SSD slot, so the upgrade itch is all but a gentle tingle, especially with the CAD/USD exchange rate currently pants.

17. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

i5 3570K and a HD7770, around 4 years old I think.

Not planning to upgrade the CPU any time soon, maybe the GPU if I see something cheap (never really minded putting the graphics on lower settings up till now).
    I should really get an SSD for my OS though. I love the responsiveness of the SSD in my laptop but I keep postponing buying one for my desktop because doing all the research to decide which one to get and then reinstalling my Windows7/Linux Mint dual boot and all programs all over again seems such a hassle.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

C2D E8500 and 4GB DDR2 on some shitty Gigabyte P43 mobo. 660Ti. Happy days :D

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

5820k and Titan XM main rig.
    8 core Ivy Xeon and Fury X (the future hope)
    Phenom 2 1050T X6 & GTX 950 my daily driver and light gaming rig.

No plans to upgrade any time soon. I am starting to mellow in my old age and care less about maxing out games etc.

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Main system is a 3770K on a Z77 Gene V with a GTX 660.

I've got a laptop with a Haswell i7 in and a bunch of other parts lying around - couple Haswell i3's, G3258 and a Z97 board. Pretty much all of those have been purchased recently 2nd hand.

The only upgrade I plan to make anytime soon will be my graphics card. I keep putting it off though because I play games so infrequently it just doesn't seem worth it.