1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EVGA preps firmware update for ACX 3.0 overheating flaw

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Nov 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

EVGA once again showing why they are a first choice for PC components.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...Is this sarcasm? I genuinely can't tell.

4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I think they've handled it very well. No excuses, no burying of heads in sand. They've even said they'll honour any repair required if users damage anything whilst fitting the thermal pads.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or maybe they shouldn`t cheap skate on the amount of vrm`s the card actually needs - you know , like gigabyte allegedly do with a new revision of a motherboard.....

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

^Even if they do it wrong and the card does burn out, they will still honour the warranty! Now that's true customer service for peace of mind IMO..

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Considering this is apparently only related to using furmark and not 'normal' usage, they could easily have just said "don't use furmark, our cards weren't designed or intended to have the bejesus ragged out of them on this manner" and is the kind of 'it's not our fault' excuse we're used to seeing these days . Furmark is like checking your erection works by sticking it in a hornets nest, so fair play to them for doing something about it and not trying to sweep it under a rug.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The EVGA built in stress test with Precision X is Furmark dude.

[​IMG]

I've seen these VRMs and they are almost impossible to actually see. They are absolutely tiny. The issue is caused because they don't have any heat transfer pads on the back of the GPU carrying to the back plate. So if you overheat the VRMs they burst into flames.

EVGA have said this only affects cards made before Sept 2016, so they have somewhat acknowledged that there is an issue and have a serial checker to see when your card was made etc.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

LOL! Guess they couldn't claim that then. :hehe:

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They've been pretty honest about it tbh. This is a pic of the VRMs in question. For E-peen 'a' bility it's definitely tweezers and a magnifying glass :D

[​IMG]

11. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

No, not sarcasm :)

I've heard nothing but praise for EVGA and their warranty program. I don't actually have any EVGA stuff at the moment but when I upgrade anything that can be EVGA will be.