1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT's Openreach launches gigabit FTTP product

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Nov 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

If I was living somewhere it was available... the (semi-)frightening thing is I'd actually consider it. At least the 500Mbps tier.

It's not that much more than I'm currently paying (although I'm currently paying for two lines, as I need the possibility (probability?) that if one goes down, the other will/might be OK.)

I shunt so much data backwards and forwards because of work (it's great to think that a few hundred KB of input files can generate 10's of gigs of results) that 500Mbps or 1Gbps would massively improve the amount of time per day I can spend working, and decrease the time I spend waiting.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2016
  3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

good luck getting it installed - it took almost 6 months for my fttp connection to get sorted!

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Much as I would like something faster than 21.85Mbps, that pricing is way to high to justify for me. Notwithstanding that by the time it becomes available, in this small village in West Somerset, I'll likely be worm fodder 6 feet under.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

6. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Considering VM offer 200Mbps with landline for £45 a month and £50 without landline, £55 for 500Mbps is a good deal. The activation fee is hard to swallow though.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In BT's defence, that fee does cover running an actual fibre-optic cable to your house - unlike, say, VDSL or Virgin's 'fibre-optic broadband,' which both use existing copper cabling and just require plugging stuff in.

8. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

That's a good point. What about a block of flats? I live in a block of flats (council) with the box up on the roof, how would they do it?

9. Gareth Halfacree

BT would usually negotiate with the freeholder to install boxes in all the flats, then leave 'em dormant until a leaseholder wants a connection (and still charge the full £500, I'd imagine, to cover the work that's already been done - but as I don't own a block of flats, I can't confirm whether the freeholder would pay BT as well. Even if the freeholder does, running fibre throughout an entire block of flats and out to the BT network is a big job and I would be surprised if Openreach was making any serious profit from the deal.)

10. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Thanks, damn, I can't see it happening now. They already set up the flats for communal dish (Sky), they put the cables around the top of my walls and installed a box in my living room about couple of years ago for radio and satellite TV.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not a problem if it was done in an organized fashion, of course that would require that you could get everyone to agree to switch to it at the same time, but since that is never going to happen the only way you are going to see fttp in a block of flats in the next decade is in a new build.

12. Gareth Halfacree

S'not so: BT's been upgrading existing flats with FTTP for ages now. See this news piece from 2012.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Glad I was wrong even if it is probably in one small corner of London, but good to see even the smallest effort in that direction.
    Maybe there is hope after all.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yeah...BT 'customer service'. Enough said.

Not going back to them anytime soon.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd order in a heartbeat if it was available, alas I'm still waiting for FTTC on 3Mbit :grr:

16. EssDee

EssDee I broke my dremel

Before getting too excited, bare in mind these are the Openreach wholesale prices for the link to the premises. There will be back haul and other charges on top of that. And then the ISP's other costs. Oh and VAT too. Don't be surprised if the retail cost is more than double what's in Openreach's pricelist for these products. That's if you can find a retail (as opposed to business) ISP who sells it.

Sent from Bittech Android app

17. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if your building mew house states the cost of FTTP is not that much more then copper install, asusming there is a local fiber node close by ish (copper installs should not even be an option for new house development builds of any size)

as FTTP you only need 1 fiber pipe to serves all the houses that it splits off to (norm has 8-16 in each the pipe) where as copper you have to bring 50-100-250-500 line copper cable from closest distribution point and maybe even bring a New line right from the exchange to which is likely a lot more when then bringing it from a fiber GEA point (possibly from a FTTC cab as i imagine they have built them with mind to have fiber come from FTTC cabs and use them as nodes)

some new houses are stuck with 0.4-2mb broadband due to no FTTC or virgin option which is stupid (some house developers don't care about the broadband as to them its an addition cost) silly thing is most people don't think about broadband speeds until they realize they have a junk of internet that is useless at there new house

the £55 per month will likely be about £65-80 a month (most people will likely pay the £250 install fee over 12 months)

18. AiA

AiA Minimodder

Was originally told by a property developer that fiber ftt to property was only available to developments over 30 homes.
    They would have loved to fit it to their small development, (as its a selling point)

Communication with openreach was pants. And even getting the standard phone lines installed, required some ingenuity.

It looks like they will now fit it to smaller developments (by looking at the details on their website) with some cost