1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU How old is your current PC and when are you planning to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 3 Nov 2016.

1. Fares

Fares What's a Dremel?

Mine seems to be the most ancient :D 2008 I think ...

Upgrade ? Nop... good enough for general purpose use. Games ? plays well everything up untill 2011-2012 and taking my games playing and finishing rate into consideration I still have plenty of games on my list to finish.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2016
  2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Nothing wrong with that. :thumb:

I've only just upgraded from an overclocked X3360 (same as a Q9550) and it's a cracking CPU. As soon as I get my act together and dig out an old hard-drive from "stores" (i.e. the box of bits), it'll be back up and running again as my second rig.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2016
  3. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

[​IMG]

It's only a month or so old but my last system before that was built in 2010.

I still only have a 760 and that will be the next thing to get upgraded, but I guess for the few games I play even that's plenty.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

Well it looks like Kaby-X is the admission that the PC upgrade cycle is dead. Intel is attempting to recycle the same CPU core onto a new socket with a slightly different PCH as some sort of upgrade incentive. 10nm DT parts won't be around for 6-9 months into 2018 so the Kaby core will be here for 18 months starting Jan.

The suggestion that Skylake-X will only have half the LLC as Broadwell-E, and not offer significantly more PCIE or CPU cores or advanced PCH features is pathetic.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Those specs just look so wrong. Why would Kaby-X only have 4 cores if it comes after Skylake-X? Why would it only have 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes instead of 40 or 44? Why does it only have Turbo Boost 2.0 instead of 3.0?

No, no, no. I think someone is majorly wrong here (not you) ...

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It's possible that Intel are holding themselves back, as not even they have any idea what Zen is going to do. They have no reason to introduce significant gains in performance currently as their only competitor has nothing right now that challenges the top end of product line-up. Zen is only meant to be on or about current skylake performance, but just in case they have 'a sandy' up their sleeve, why not hold back a bit of tech or 2 to pull out when it's actually needed?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Assuming this leak is not total BS for a minute, a justification:

Intel partners want regular (annual) upgrade cycles to sell something new. It'll be 15 months from Skylake to KabyLake, which is very long. It'll then be 9-12 months between Kaby launching in Jan and Kaby-X in Sept-Dec, but it's only a half-upgrade. The Kaby core is still the same from Kaby to Kaby-X. They've just moved it from one socket to another to give it the benefit of the X-series PCH with more features. Likely this is because they want to kill all K series on LGA115x and move all overclocking to their X series, with better profit margin. It'll kill the upgrade market because X chipsets and boards are always $$$

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If Kaby Lake is not X99 and only Z270 or whatever they are calling it it would make some sorta sense. They might put the Extreme moniker on a quad core CPU, given they may not be making any more new ones for a while?

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm pretty indecisive and flick between games at the drop of a hat. if something I want to play isn't installed I just can't be arsed to uninstall something else to install it to play it for an hour or six and then have to uninstall it to play something else.

And I can't fit everything on 1tb anymore.

10. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

When I look at the core parts in my system, really its not all that old, however generation wise it is. The weakest link is the GTX 660, and sadly I can't afford to replace it with something newer or faster for a good while yet :(

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I have a 3570k (given generously by KayinBlack) and a GTX 970 with 8GB of ram. I'd like to upgrade to use higher fidelity mods in stuff like Skyrim, but 16GB of ram for my current setup would be nice too - too bad I have a crappy board with two DIMM slots so if I want to upgrade, I need to buy an entire 16GB kit.

12. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Mine is ~7 years old I think, I have an i5 750 and up until a month ago, a 5850 (recently upgraded to RX480).

I'd like to do a mini-ITX build fairly soon though, so I may as well upgrade the CPU then. So my current plan is to wait until January and hopefully get Zen.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I built this machine in my second year of uni, which was 4 years ago now, but up until last year I was using my previous machine whch I must have built over 7 years ago (original Phenom anyone?).

As for when I plan to upgrade, well my new parts should hopefully be arriving tomorrow!

Decided to splash out on a watercooled 1080 rig since I still have quite a bit of money from selling my car.