1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News European Commission offers funding for CPU efficiency projects

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Nov 2016.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Fujitsu's chip supports CUDA and OpenCL? Or, in another context, Fujitsu's chip allows to you develop for it with relative ease?
    Uh... you're the one who wants to prove me wrong. Gotta spoon feed me the answer. Remember - you care more than I do.
    So.... not understanding what someone says makes you clever?
    Sure, I have a tendency to not read things thoroughly. I don't mind admitting that.
    I see you finally accepted I made an opinion though, so finally that's out of the way.
    I don't care about being proven wrong. I have openly admitted being wrong several times. What anyone will not do, yourself included, is to have their opinion attacked. You have a tendency to be condescending, and not just toward me.
    Of course I'm going to rephrase my sentence if it helps further enforce my statement. Misinterpretation is a common cause for arguments, hence us being here. I know you'd like people to just back down after the first response, but when you do it with hostility, it's not going to end well.
    BTW, the point of comments section is primarily for opinions. If you don't like it, turn it off.
    *sigh* not this again...
    HARDWARE LEVEL. How many times do I have to say that? FPGAs are arguably electrically simpler than a full-blown CPU. As far as I'm aware, much of the die is the same silicon pattern repeated over and over again, where you can tweak the transistors to do what you want. As you said, it's like Legos. There are kits that are considered more advanced than others, but it's the same blocks. The Legos themselves aren't more complicated, it's what you do with them.
    Unlike you, I have more things to do than argue with strangers. Why do you think I'm going to be gone for over a day?
    If you are paid, you are an employee. Doesn't mean you're employed by Bit-Tech, because a contractor is still a self-employed position. I don't go complaining to people because someone is being "offensive". I'm just sayin, keeping this up isn't doing you any favors. I'm not the one who could potentially lose anything. You could argue integrity, but who should care about that besides me?
    Ironic that you're still willingly ignoring it. Sure is great being able to hide from your problems, eh? I suppose that's what's great about the internet. And no, I'm not ignoring your comment about me being at work, I just don't care.
    And yet you keep telling me your opinions... I'm surprised you find this monotony so fun.
    Uh... you just admitted you aren't having fun with this. But to give you the benefit of the doubt, your comment is still contradictory. You only know me as "schmidtbag" and you said you dislike me "schmidtbagging". That's all I am to you, therefore, you dislike me as I am here. That's all that matters. If you met me in real life, you wouldn't stop this argument, you would continue it and hate me regardless of how many puppies and old ladies I help.
    Gee, and I thought we were trying to prove me wrong!
    Nah, I'll pass.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I thought you'd gone? :p
    Try re-reading again.
    I thought we'd established you're spending more time on this than me?
    No, being right makes me clever. Or, if not clever, then at least right.
    See? We're making progress!
    No, that's not what I said - see, you're not reading things again. The issue I have is that you're so keen to have an opinion on whatever topic is at hand, you half-read things - which you've admitted you do - then spout a load of rubbish from other things you've half-read as though they're facts. That's what I dislike, not you.
    No, condescension is when you talk down to someone. (That joke doesn't really work in text form - hopefully you get the idea!)
    G'wan, then.
    I'm having fun, remember? It's no fun if my playmate runs off at the first comment.
    Actually, the point of the comments section is to leave comments. S'why it's called the comments section, and not the opinion section, innit?
    You haven't addressed my question: if an FPGA is simpler than a MIPS CPU, or an x86 CPU, or a RISC-V CPU, how can I run MIPS, x86, and RISC-V cores on one? Isn't that like putting three pints of milk in a one-pint bottle?
    You haven't gone anywhere yet!
    Nuh-uh. I pay taxi drivers; they're not my employee. Bit-Tech is not my employer, it's my client. Legally, it's a very important distinction: if Bit-Tech was my employer, it'd have to make pension contributions, give me sick pay and holiday pay, and do a bunch of other things it doesn't do.
    What exactly could I lose? Is Bit-Tech likely to kick me out 'cos I said "bum-bum poo-poo?" I've been writing for this site for nine years, through three different owners. If they haven't got rid of me yet, they're not likely to now.
    Right, genuinely now: what elephant? I'm not (wilfully, anyway) ignoring anything; I just have no idea what you're on about.
    I keep telling you facts.
    No, I didn't. If you know you don't always read things thoroughly, why not go to the extra effort to do so?
    I don't dislike you as you are here; if you were here and not schmidtbagging, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?
    I very much doubt I would. What's your basis for this assumption - and show your working.

Yeah, thought you might. No surprises there.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

:D

4. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I popped into the supermarket on the way home last night, and on one of the isle corner displays were these huge big round buckets of popcorn. I mean huge - the sort you see in American cinemas. I stared at those things for an inordinate amount of time, (a good, solid ten seconds at least) then I was boring & good and left it on the shelf and bought some melon instead.

I knew I should have bought that flippin' popcorn...

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

wow quote wars

6. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

LOL can't be bothered to read *all* the crap schmidtbag posted but the part I did read was, um, amusing :) This is a whole new level of 'clueless'.

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Nov 2016
  7. schmidtbag

No... we never really clarified that. But even if I were, that's not your problem.
    Well, you've often done a poor job at proving all of your points, so you shouldn't be so quick to toot your own horn. Successfully proving your point or being right isn't all that counts, though I'm sure you'd disagree.
    Now this is fun, and so will your reaction to this!
    The first phrase you used to respond to me was "what rot". That is condescension.
    Google "define: comment". First definition:
    "a verbal or written remark expressing an opinion or reaction."
    Good goin, Ace.
    I already explained my point - it's not the architecture that's complex, it's what you do with it. Milk by itself isn't complex, but it is the foundation to make cheese or yogurt. Since I have to spell it out for you, in my analogy, milk is the FPGA hardware, the bacteria is what programs the chip, and the cheese/yogurt is the result (such as a MIPS design).
    So.... using that taxi example, that means you're paying BT?
    But assuming you are inevitably paid here, you still haven't distinguished that you aren't self-employed. Someone who is self-employed has no legal obligation for PTO and other benefits.
    The user-base of this site seems relatively small. You are a prolific journalist here. It wouldn't be in the site's best interest to get rid of you, but I'm sure they'd rather you not get into pissing contests with commenters.
    The fact you'd rather stay up all night, away from friends, away from family, away from a good night's sleep, and away from anything actually productive in order to keep up a pretty bland argument because you've "had a long week". Meanwhile, I'm just responding while I take a crap or have downtime at work.
    Interesting - you may have surpassed me in arrogance. You actually treated your perspective of my own thoughts as fact.
    Ugh you're getting whiny again, I don't like that. The comment you just quoted was obviously meant to be nothing but provocative and you fell for it.
    We are having this conversation because you insist you enjoy it. I am known for "schmidtbagging", hence the term. If you met me in real life and I said "I'm schmidtbag", why would you refuse to continue this? Shall we blame this on fear? A savage instinct to punch me in the face that you'd rather not reduce yourself into? Or do you honestly think there's a potential to be best friends outside of the internet?
    We may be behave differently on the internet than we do in real life, but that doesn't chance the fact that I am writing my comments and you are writing yours.
    Regardless, this is just getting pointlessly philosophical and we're here for solid concrete facts, right?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Funny how, when I do that, there's absolutely nothing of value left, isn't it?

Welcome back, by the way - the editor appreciates your continued traffic, I have no doubt. Perhaps now's a good time for me to suggest a rate increase, on account of all the extra traffic this thread has brought in!

9. schmidtbag

What, so you're not going to try proving me wrong anymore? Already got bored?

Also, I wouldn't say the two of us loading the forums a couple dozen times total should increase revenue that much. If it really does, gotta work on increasing your visitors. Link them to this thread, they'll feel real welcome by staff and readers alike!

10. Gareth Halfacree

Yes, actually. I've got stuff to do today, and I'm on my phone - so you'll get no massive responses from me today, I'm afraid!

Here I'm in complete agreement with you; the thought of sharing a forum with you would put anyone off!

Working on a Sunday, though? You have my sympathies. Shift work? Been there, don't miss it.

11. schmidtbag

Thanks, maybe I'll be back on Monday!

No no no, this was a hobby, remember?

12. Gareth Halfacree

I thought you only used the forum when slacking off at work or pooing? If you're not at work, that means...

Ew.