1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Sea of Thieves

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 21 Nov 2016.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Sea of Thieves

Seems as good a time as any to get a thread ready for this game from Rare! It's due out in early 2018 on Xbox One and Windows 10.

Cinematic Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

[*The people are a little irritating in the gameplay trailer, but you get the idea]

There was supposed to be a beta, so as the release date is fast approaching I imagine that's going to happen fairly soon. I signed up for it so many months ago, I'd better get in!

Looks like it could be a lot of really silly fun with friends :)

Last edited: 13 Jun 2017
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Pirates of the Caribbean and Age of Pirates (1 and 2) were great games in my opinion, many happy hours played, so I'm always happy to see new pirate style games.

This isn't quite the same, and looks to be a pirate style guns of icarus, but I'm hopeful depending how many people you need to play with etc.

3. Hex

Unsure on the numbers at the moment, but it does say it has single player too... How that fits I'm not sure. Maybe you can be in the same world as others, but as a lone wolf and decide whether or not you team up? Or maybe it's a separate single player story. I'll post up here if I find out more!

4. Hex

INSIDER PROGRAMME

This just got announced and I signed up immediately! You can use my referrer link to sign up too :)

5. Hex

Seems like I should update this as they've invited a huge number of new people into the alpha programme for this weekend's Technical session.

6. Hex

Sea of Thieves did possibly my favourite video of E3 so far. I'm already madly in love with this game.

Just realised I never answered this! You have a crew of 4. There is matchmaking but obviously, it's better with friends. That said, I don't think it's breaking the NDA to say I've still found good crews of randoms and occasionally found nice 'enemies' I've teamed up with :lol:

Last edited: 13 Jun 2017
  7. Hex

It's been a while, but this thread needs some love! Hopefully some of you played the closed beta last month? I had a fantastic time playing and it near brought a tear to my eye seeing Sea of Thieves in the top slot on Twitch! I hadn't really thought about how fun it could be to watch as well as play, but it was so fun to watch!

I'm going to change this thread to Multi just so it's not glossed over by PC players. The game is cross-play (PC and Xbox play together) and it's also Play Anywhere (digital copies only - you own it on your MS account and can play it on Win10 or XB1 with shared saves, PC players do not need XBL Gold). But, not only that, it will be available in the Xbox Game Pass (£7.99 p/m) from launch and that counts as Play Anywhere.

Some people who thoroughly enjoyed the closed beta did wonder if it would be able to sustain players as there wasn't a huge variety of things to do. Again, if you're worried about this you could always get the game pass for a month and see how it goes. But IGN released a video today that gives us some idea of end-game and progression, I think it looks really hopeful. I'm definitely getting it because I've been in the alphas since the start and just adore this game. Finally playing with friends in the closed beta was brilliant and we had some crazy shenanigans :D

I can properly answer the question about whether you need friends or can play solo now too. As per the video, there are two types of ship. A Galleon for 4 players (if you're a 3 you'll be match-made with a random) or a Sloop for 1-2 players. When you set sail you have the option of 4, 2 or 1. Some people I spoke to didn't enjoy solo sailing, but they were also playing for the very first time in the closed beta. I had no such issues. I had a lovely time sailing around, finding treasure, admiring sunsets and dodging galleons trying to steal my plunder! The game is also utterly stunning. Every single player I spoke to in-game was gushing about it. I've lost count of how many times I heard "for a cartoony game, these skies and the sea are ridiculously good!" and they really, really are :)

8. GeorgeStorm

I haven't ordered it so didn't play, but I can definitely see myself playing with some people I know, especially as another friend asked me the other day about it out of the blue.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Adding this as part of the games pass and play anywhere was a good move. I hope more games hit the games pass. It's a great way to get people into games they might not otherwise try and will hopefully get more players into the first party titles that MS desperately need to get on their platform.

Hex likes this.
  10. Hex

MS confirmed that all forthcoming first-party titles will be on Game Pass at launch. :)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01/23/xbox-game-pass-expands/

Play Anywhere and Cross-Play worked great for me in the closed beta as I flipped between the platforms when I was solo. When grouped; 2 of us were on PC, another friend was on Xbox and most of the randoms we got matched with were also Xbox and you'd never know. Our Xbox-playing friend recorded a teaser of our time on the seas (language warning).

I know some content creators were worried that Rare were copping out of creating any meaningful gameplay by saying players will make their own stories, but it's actually just a fact with this game! Anything can and does happen! :lol:

11. Hex

SCALE TEST THIS WEEKEND (FRI-SUN)

I got on and played a little more SoT after work today. Firstly: Rare LIED to us! There absolutely is new stuff in this scale test! :D Worth checking out, though be aware it's a bit glitchy (on purpose). I've been stuck trying to get up the stairs of my Sloop a few times as the game glitches out.

Secondly: one of the only disappointing things I'd seen about the final game was that there would be no character customisation. They want all the characters to look as though they were designed by Rare, so you get a selection screen with 8 randomly generated pirates. You choose one, or ask for another selection of 8. I would really like to see a way to hold one because what I thought would happen, did. I liked one in the very first selection, but wanted to see some more and then had to keep cycling until I got a similar one again! However, the whole thing is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be because on your boat there is now a vanity chest containing things like facial hair, hair styles, eye-patch on/off etc. So I needn't have kept going looking for a lady with an eye-patch all that time!

I was having a nice time sailing around solo, saw a Galleon heading my way, but they seemed to go to an Outpost. I thought I was safe, then when I was admiring the sunset they suddenly appeared again and I could hear voices! They were very friendly and said they'd let me live and not sink my ship, but they were going to steal my treasure... they sailed back minutes later to return it because they felt guilty :hehe: I really do love this game so much for the random encounters! Oh yeah, one of them killed himself by blowing up the gunpowder barrel I had on board, the others helped repair my ship and bail it out. I don't think they're cut out to be pirates.

12. Hex

The FINAL (and OPEN) Beta is on now and ends at 10:00 GMT Sunday (morning, I always use 24hr clocks)! There's some new stuff added; Merchant Alliance has been enabled so there are now chickens and piggies on the islands, ship customisation can be seen (although I don't think you can apply it yet so don't waste your gold), and the raid-style fortresses are live (you can see them from anywhere on the map, there's a gigantic cloud shaped like a skull that will glow if someone is actively raiding). Well worth checking out if you have Windows 10 or an Xbox. It's crazy good fun, but if you've never played it before I urge you to look stuff up or at least play in a group first! I got extremely frustrated yesterday watching people play it for the first time and choosing solo but with absolutely no idea what they were doing!

13. Hex

Latest update:

It's currently half price, if you don't want the game pass just for this game I recommend it while it's half off. It's such an underrated game and they have worked so hard on it. The updates coming this Spring look great and it's top of the Twitch directory on a regular basis.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I see a lot of top streamers are playing this at the moment. I just got the 1 month xbox game pass for £1 to give this a try on PC.

Hex likes this.
  15. GeorgeStorm

You can use xbox game pass to play this on PC?

Link to that offer? :p

16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

You sure can. Through Win 10 store, you purchase the game pass, and a select few games are available to play on PC. Forza Horizon 4, Ruiner and We HAppy Few are all available! and of coure sea of thieves!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Jan 2019
    Hex likes this.
  17. Hex

Yep! As Mr Happy says, moving forward all Xbox first party titles are Xbox and Windows 10 (I think almost all are cross-play and cross-save too) and as they're on game pass you can get it and play them on PC! I believe Xbox are working on some more PC things for game pass.

Links as requested:

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/sea-of-thieves#purchaseoptions

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass

It's such a fun game, I hadn't had a chance to play for ages so last night I jumped in a Sloop and sailed around solo for a bit. It can be so relaxing just sailing around looking at the sunsets and the open water. But it can also be really tense! At one point last night I was worried a sloop was coming over to steal my stuff, they didn't seem to be getting any closer though. So I looked through my spyglass to see they were being attacked by Karen (the Kraken)! I had 6 chests on board so I did not go to help them :lol:

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Might re-enable my game pass and give this a go, what are the random players like to join with in this game?

19. Hex

It's a real mixed bag. The seas are somewhat friendlier than they used to be at launch, you can use certain flags to indicate if you're peaceful or up for a fight, but there are still people who think pirate game = murder everyone & steal everything. Most people you get matched with will be alright, obviously time of day/week can dictate if there are more kids about.

If you know someone who owns it, they're doing a "friends play free" thing at the moment.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/friends-play-free

20. Hex

In probably one of the most perfect pairings since chocolate & strawberries, Pirates of the Caribbean comes to Sea of Thieves! GG.