1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Washed my motorbike earlier - was long overdue.

Not quite factory fresh, but looking miles better than it did yesterday.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just ignore the scuffs on the drive from the centre stand... only just noticed all that! Oops! :D

2. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

"MeMo" got a "mini me" "MeMe"

Last edited: 9 Dec 2016
  3. creative

creative 500rwhp

did a custom paint job on my transmitter this week. Not perfect but really happy with how it turned out for a first attempt.

[​IMG]

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Good News Everyone! After dropping off the kids, my oldest daughter's head of year took me aside and told me that they're getting her IQ tested, along with other Academic tests. Not to single her out but to more precisely measure where her educational needs are, because he basically admitted they essentially have no idea how to teach a child like her. She finishes all the work quickly and then gets bored. Which is pretty good they've noticed as i'm starting to have trouble as well.

But it's not like she'll be alone, another girl in her year is in the same boat. I gave her mother some tips on books because like my girl, she's also exhausted the school's entire library. My daughter is currently reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I found a pretty good resource on Mensa's site on to read lists. Although it bothers me that they've only really included American Literature with very few english novels. I'm glad i've found another parent I can talk to about this stuff with because other parents... don't really understand. They ask what i'm getting her for christmas and my answer is.."Books and a Keyboard" because that's what she actually wants, also f*** buying a proper piano. It makes me come off as a bit of a dick when I don't mean it to, if you know what I mean. None of my children have... normal appetites compared to other kids. They're trading Pokemon cards and she's...taught herself how to read music. Although since when did bloody pokemon cards make a comeback, they were popular when I was her age. Now I feel like i'm making it sound like a bad thing. It isn't, it's just difficult to parent because I basically have no knowledge and i'm still learning. Most people parent like their parents taught themselves, and I..can't do that. I'm rambling now.

Looks cool man, I really quite like the camo look myself. Although, it looks a bit like marble in a good way.

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Am I interpreting this correctly you and your partner have just had a baby? Or you have hired a drawf/little person to dress like you and follow you around?
    Either way very cool and congratulations.

6. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

MeMo is my Cat!!! and he got a little brother!!! Your thoughts are also very cool!!! Thanks for the congratulations!!

Last edited: 9 Dec 2016
  7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

MeMo is her cat

8. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Ha Ha I must say I Love the idea of the little person dressed like me following me around!!":clap:

9. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I spent the afternoon shooting films, the sky was relatively bright :)

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'm not hungry right now so I got that going for me

11. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Nice!!!!!

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So I've been playing around with Linux and I've got PCI passthrough working. This has allowed me to use QEMU/KVM to pass one of the two USB controllers from my motherboard and the PCIe graphics card into a Windows 10 virtual machine. That then leaves the second USB controller and Intel integrated graphics for Ubuntu to use. All in, that would allow me to use Linux for my general computing needs and a Windows virtual machine as a dedicated virtualised gaming system all on the same hardware.

The hardware I'm using is less than ideal, the graphics card is only an AMD HD6670 and the integrated graphics is on a 3770 which can't push a resolution past 1920x1200 (I'm running 1440p). NVidia the money grabbing feckers disable their cards when they realise they are running in a virtual machine. They would prefer I bought a quadro for doing such things. There is a work around apparently but I couldn't get it to work and things are much more straight forward using an AMD card since AMD have no problems running their drivers in VMs

Running benchmarks on both a native windows 8.1 install and in the windows 10 VM there is some CPU overhead, but the graphics card performance seems on par. (The 3770 identifies as a Xeon in the VM)

Cinebench on hardware,
    Cinebench on the VM,
    Valley on hardware,
    Valley on the VM

Once finances are more agreeable in the future, I can see myself running this kind of setup in a watercooled mini-itx system with a modern AMD graphics card and an Intel CPU with a more capable iGPU. Throw in a usb sound card for windows plus a KVM switch and it would be a tidy setup. I've a bit more testing to do, but right now it's all looking viable and I am quite pleased.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2016
  13. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

^^ Would've done the same ages ago if Intel hadn't decided for some incomprehensible reason not to support VT-D on the 3570K (while the regular 3570 does have it). :grr: Until I upgrade my CPU I'll probably keep dual-booting, inconvenient as it may be sometimes.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yeah I made exactly this mistake. Thankfully Cei here swapped me his 3770 for the 3770k that I bought. He got a small upgrade and I got the VT-D that I needed. I have no idea why they wouldn't enable that feature on what was then their flagship consumer CPUs. The mind boggles.

15. Darkwisdom

I'll put this in here because it made me chuckle, starting my day with joy.

I got a phone call from one of those scam indian companies telling you you've got a problem with your computer and they'll fix it by ransoming it back to you. Strange thing is that my phone has a filter for these, but this one was using a number in my area - I found out that these companies are making their phone number appear that way to get around nonsense filters.

He was asking for a previous occupant (obviously out of date info) and I said nope, doesn't live here. He then asked if i'm the user of the house's windows computer, like it stays with the house apparently. I said I wasn't interested and to have a nice day, I wasn't nasty and was just about to hang up. He proceeded to swear at me outrageously, literally no filter to his language at all. "You f****** Ass****, wasting my f****** time, i'll f****** dropkick you". These insults were so pathetic but it was so funny. Seriously, I was in hysterics. I stayed on the phone just because it was amazingly hilarious. He swore even more when I was laughing because he probably felt bad that it was making me laugh.

16. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Caught the wrist band off Jonathan Davies at the Korn concert last night, I thought someone had thrown something at me and the girlfriend at first!

Chuffed ain't the word!

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Just got one of those phone calls you dread. Brother was on the motorway, Polish lorry driver decides to go straight from the shoulder into the fast lane without looking. Brother's car completely squashed, not a single injury.

Polish driver then says he can't speak any English, Police arrive all of a sudden he finds his tongue. TBH couldn't give a flying chuff about that part, so long as my bro is OK.

Has changed the dynamics of our Christmas but I am sure we will all enjoy it all the more for him being here to enjoy it with us :)

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I have a new, large, red teapot which holds three mugs-worth of tea.

Three whole mugs. :hip:

19. Darkwisdom

I'd use a teapot if anyone else in the house but me drank tea. :hehe:

20. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My wife starts a new job tomorrow.

Looks like I won't have to sell a kidney afterall...