1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Point Break (2015) 4/5

Stunning visuals and stunts, but a story written by a seven year old, and according acting.
    Didn't care about any of the characters, amazing.

This, I also stopped understanding what exists in which movie and why. The Avenger-ones probably need to be seen in linear order to understand which ones have what technology.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Independence Day: Resurgence - Yawn/10

Pfff, one or two witty scenes (compared to this the original was an action-comedy) lots of yaddayadda and some boom.
    Lame.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

31 - 7.5/10
    I'll be honest and say that I have a soft spot for Rob Zombie's "trashy" approach to film making. Something about the soundtracks, the grotesque violence, the trashy, weird characters... it just works for me.
    This is a brains-in-jar slaughterfest, without any innovation, but it works. For me at least.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

High-Rise -wtf/10
    Mrs's turn to pick a movie, good cast, totally unsure what the point of the film was, maybe I should have been high to watch it aswell.

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Is it wrong that I'm emotionally moved towards the end of American Pie on ITV2 tonight? I was a fresher when that film came out and it has a hook on me like no other film ever will. It may seem pretty lame and 'of its time' to some nowadays, but it has a real authenticity to it.

OMG! American Reunion is just about to start on Film4. That's another sensible bedtime down the drain...

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The original American Pie was a brilliantly funny film, the subsequent ones deteriated at an exponential rate.

7. Porkins' Wingman

I agree to an extent, but there's a lot to laugh at in the Reunion. Given the source material, they did a pretty good job with Reunion.

8. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Suicide Squad - 2/10

I can't bring myself to give it anything higher than this. The writing is awful. Every now and then I found myself almost starting to suspend my disbelief and then a character would say something like, "Give me my heart. Once I have my heart I'll be able to complete my machine." It's not only unnecessary exposition (since I mean, she should want her heart anyway, right? and that line raises more questions than it answers), but it might as well have been one of the writers heads coming in the lower thirds, talking to the audience saying, "THIS IS EXPOSITION. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN BETTER TO CONVEY THIS IDEA IMPLICITLY THROUGH THE FILM ITSELF, BUT SHE NEEDS HER HEART TO COMPLETE THE MAGIC MACHINE THING THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT."

There were quite a few moments like that. And then there was Cara Delevingne's portrayal of Enchantress. I'm not sure if this is bad acting or bad direction, but she just started . . . idk, wiggling? constantly in the last 40 minutes of the film. I mean, it's nice to look at since she's wearing a deadly bikini but also not particularly evil looking and really just distracting. If this were Deadpool you know he would have asked her about it.

It also suffers the problem that Deadpool had, which is that it tries to make you care about a character who is an inherent dick, except that it's worse because there are 5?, 6? of these people. Honestly I just watched this and I can't remember how many characters there are that I'm supposed to not only not-hate, but also kinda like.

Deadpool works because he's a dick. He's an internet troll and we all hate him as a human being, but he's the funniest internet troll there ever was. He makes us laugh at the expense of others, but more often he makes us laugh at his expense. When Deadpool didn't work was when they tried to make a whole story about why we should care anything more for him than just letting him make us laugh. Deadpool's weakness is that his motivation is something that few people can identify with very strongly. He's a super sexy guy (nope, not me), who gets cancer (many people could identify with) and goes to extreme lengths to survive to be with the person (or people) he loves. But when survival leaves him disfigured he runs away. Like . . . he's an asshole all the time and we love him for it, but this is when you're like, "wait, what? I can't really feel for him for being an asshole in this situation. That's his fault and his problem."

But this same problem is made 10x worse in Suicide Squad. None of the characters make you laugh, they aren't likable in any way at all, and when the movie tries to make you identify with the characters it's a hard miss. In one scene in particular (what would be considered the hero's low point in the classic Campbell idea of the hero's journey), the heroes are all in a bar drinking and celebrating giving up on their suicide mission to defeat the bad guys the audience isn't afraid of. They start fighting (verbally) and it feels like children fighting. It's the most cringe scene in the movie. Name calling, throwing blame around. And then this antagonist soldier guy shows up and says a few things and Deadshot (played by an unenthusiastic Will Smith) is like, "YOU HAD LETTERS FROM MY DAUGHTER THIS WHOLE TIME?!" and you're thinking that he's gonna go nuts with rage, but then he says, "I'm going to go save your girlfriend now." ? Wut? What just happened? Did I miss something? What about someone withholding letters from family while in the middle of a mission where you could die at any moment would make you want to help that person when you find out about it?

Oh yeah, the movie ends because the demi-god villains get beat up by bats and boomerangs and then one gets blown up with what I think is a claymore-like bomb (it's never really described). But we as an audience don't know if or how the heroes knew that would work except that it's a movie and you've already been sitting there for far too long, so you're pretty sure it's the thing that's going to work. But these demi-god things have been melting building columns like butter and getting limbs cut off and then regenerating new ones and destroying everything from remote air force runways to navy ships to satellites with one stroke of Cara Delevingne's wiggling hips, so it seems weirdly implausible that when volleys of .50 caliber bullets and missiles do literally nothing that a bomb that can be carried by one person would somehow kill the demi-god.

So the movie sucks and you shouldn't watch it, even if you think Margot Robbie is exceptionally hot. She isn't in this movie, and might barely be so if you put it on mute, and if that's all you're watching for then there's plenty of other stuff to watch that's better than Suicide Squad, and in some of it she even goes full nude.

So don't watch. Big fat waste of time.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2016
    Xir likes this.
  9. Porkins' Wingman

Just out of idle curiosity... :)worried:) - what does Margot go full nude in?

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The Wolf of Wall Street.

1) How dare you not know that.
    2) How dare you not have seen that movie yet!

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Expendables 3 - Hurry up. It's boring/10

Wasn't as good as the first 2 imo, but I did laugh at Antonio Banderas's character...

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Banderas ****ing steals the film from his first scene. EXP 3's issue was that it was watered down to a 12 to get a wider audience, only problem is it ended up alienating its core audience in the process (us 30+ old ****s)

13. Strudul

Strudul ~

Zootopia / Zootropolis.

Genuinely good. :thumb:

14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

For me, Margot was the only good part of the movie. Not because she was hot, but because she played a freaking perfect Harley Quinn. Her performance saved the movie for me.

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

A monster calls - 7-10

Don't take your kids, its basically the book converted to film. Acting is good, Lewis MacDougal is very good, same goes for Felicity Jones. Sigorney Weaver, is Sigorney Weaver. Deals with terminal cancer, death and bullying, hence not being kid friendly. Liam Neeson as a tree, very menacing especially when he tells his first story that alone makes it non kid friendly.

16. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

not sure why its been marketed as family fantasy flick, enjoyed the book which i always thought bears similaritys with pans labyrinth. hope the movie is just as good but i hope the ending hasnt been messed with sad as it might be. its on my must watch list

as for suicide squad, all the best DC films are the animated ones. aside from nolans dark knight trillogy it seems they seem to want what disney/marvel are doing film wise and are hiring idiots to do the scripts

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Break down of the end parts.
    Mother dies (appears she can see the monster), goes back with grandmother whos been sorting a new room for him goes in finds his mums are album an finds pictures from the same three stories and "the monster"

18. veato

veato I should be working

Storks. Wasn't expecting much of anything but figured I could have a nap while the kids are munching on popcorn. Turns out it's pretty good. In fact way better than I expected.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Surprised we haven't had this yet, but...

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 8/10
    As a die-hard fan of the original trilogy, and a hater of the 4 newest episodes I was prepared for the bitter disappointment of recent SW styles. It was unfounded.

There's a bit too much cheesy/soppy hero stuff going on, but otherwise it's a very solid, well-written thing. Don't expect any revolutions to the modern SW styling, but it's definitely worth seeing for anyone who likes the original or new bits.

The only thing I would say is that perhaps young kids will find it a bit of a difficult watch.

I particularly enjoyed the careful dovetail to episode 4, especially because they ended up killing absolutely everyone!

It couldn't work properly any other way, and it's nice to see they had the cojones to carry that through.

20. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Agreed with you there and I loved the nods to Episode 4.

Really enjoyed this more than I thought I would, I can happily except this as part of the Star Wars Legacy