1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Amazon's "The Grand Tour"

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 11 Feb 2016.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I don't think I've ever had such an aversion to a car on tv before haha. I just couldn't get it out of my head how I thought it sounded like a power drill thanks to all the silly turbos and all that. It didn't help that both the Aston and the Rolls were pretty dull IMO.

Maybe it's a London thing, but just commuting across the city means you get to see so many Astons and similar along "the strip" by Knightbridge that they lose all impact. Would no doubt be fantastic to own one, but like a 911 it's nothing special for a spectator.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I just saw episode and yeah, they're back!

I ROFLed throughout, even when the American was driving. My only complaint was the dead celebrity bit which continues to be lame and Jeremy's intro needs to be in the beginning. Still, that was funny as ****!

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

at least it was jimmy carr who died. the only man who is about as funny as a dead dog in a microwave.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

They need to drop Celebrity brain crash immediately.

Other than that, the eco-Land Rover bit was fairly amusing if a little silly. A reasonable episode this week.

I'm enjoying the Grand Tour so far, but both my wife and I think something is missing - they need to make more use of the local area when they're touring around. What's the point of filming the studio segment in Whitby if you don't film a corresponding piece in the surrounding area?

Why film in California if you're not going to include it in the show? It would be easy to do a piece at Leguna Seca, or in the desert, or along the Pacific Highway...

It seems like such a simple thing, but despite the complication of sorting it, I think it would really make the show make sense. Why bother with all of these Grand Tour tents otherwise?

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

**He didn't really die - it was only pretend**

6. Strudul

Strudul ~

**Yeah right, and Santa isn't real***

7. David

Ummm....

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Episode 4 was good, but IMO 3 was better. Still, it's a damned sight more enjoyable than Top Gear is (or ever will be).

9. David

Ep4 was a bit meh, IMO. The green 4x4 thing was just a bit too silly to be funny but, as Lenny says, it's still a cut above the last series of Top Gear.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Still better than the shameless hollywood product placement in the BBC version, but yep, would be even better if it was gone completely.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The last season was crap but I can't wait for next with CH, RR and MLB taking front. Proper car show about cars. Not overly scripted entertainment show that may include cars.

12. Cthippo

If GT was a proper car show about cars then very few would watch it. I personally really don't care how many HP a car has or how fast it can go 0-60, I tune in because I enjoy watching Clarkson, Hammond and May, and I'm pretty sure that's true for the vast majority of viewers. It's the three of them that i fins worth watching, not the specific topic they're talking about.

It's the same thing with gaming videos. I started watching jingles when i was still playing World of Tanks and then he got into War Thunder and I thought "Hey, that looks like fun, I'll give it a shot". Now, years later, I barely play games anymore, but I still watch his videos because I enjoy them, not because I play the games he is talking about.

There absolutely is a place for a serious car show for serious car enthusiasts, but realize that it's appeal is going to be pretty severely limited. Top Gear, and especially The Grand Tour is an entertainment show that happens to be focused on cars, but it's appeal is in it's entertainment value.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You can have plenty of fun in other cars tbh. They are elite cars made for the elite but yeah, I had plenty of fun in my old 2l DOHC that handled like a Go Kart.

I used to work in Knightsbridge (on the corner, Cecil Gee) so yeah saw plenty of rich and filthy whilst I was there :)

Thing is it was a 2hr commute each way so I packed it in. Money was great but had no social life at all. Time I got home every one had gone out lol.

When I lived in London I had a BMX. That's how stupid it was to own a car. The roads were all covered in sleeping policeman and the most evil half hex shaped lumps that it used to just destroy your car. Amount of body kit parts I saw lying in the road of a morning.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Depends what you mean by "proper" - Top Gear hasn't been a proper show about cars since before 2002. Maybe that's what the BBC are aiming for... who knows. :)

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

In old TG they still mixed entertainment with cars. The road trips and stuff. The Grand Tour ep was better, certainly, but it still wasn't about the cars - it was about "OMG RH dicking about". I personally prefer Chris Harris on Cars on BBC and hope that's what S2 of TG becomes, but admitting this seems taboo.

Horses for courses. I know let's play vids are hugely popular but I find them boring af. Same as watching eSports. I'd rather just play the game and have my own experiences.

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I think my beef with car shows is that cars is a very wide topic. I think very, very few people are interested in all aspects of them. As such, making a general car show is a bit of a hit and miss. You sort of need to settle on a niche like many other shows do, like restoring classics, custom mods, racing etc.

Like in theory it would make sense to have a segment in a weekly car show to say formula 1 or other racing events. To me though, although I have an interest in the cars, I couldn't care less about any form of racing, so I would just turn off. Same deal for when they do a feature on a classic Golf GTi, a Ford Capri or similar, I'm 24 and wasn't around when they were the thing to drag-race at Southend-on-sea. But then people aren't as wowed by hyper-cars either nowadays. 10-15 years ago even it was almost unheard of to have 600k+ cars, it made something like the Mclaren F1 seem so exotic. But now almost every hypercar is £1M+ and there are a fair few, even more normal cars like Aston's One-77 are stupidly expensive.

I think a pure car show will almost always just end up being a jack of all trades, better off watching individual shows about aspects of cars if you want something more in-depth and appropriate to your interests.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

18. David

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nothing new there, TG was the most pirated show as well. its mostly down to regional accessibility.

20. Cthippo

I wonder how many of those "illegal downloads" are people watching it on YouTube, like me. Kind of takes a bit of the romance out of it, doesn't it?

On the one hand i want to support Amazon for bringing GT out, but I never buy anything from them and I don't watch any other shows, so it's really hard to justify $100 for 12 episodes a year.