1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Clutches

Discussion in 'General' started by legoman, 12 Dec 2016.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Noticed the other day my clutch is starting to slip slightly, more peak torque when you mash the loud pedal so its just starting so is going to need doing.

Cars pushing a bit more over stock so wondering if its worth getting a stage 1 or 2 clutch? If so who from? Been forever since I got a new one.

2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

What are your numbers legoman? i.e. power now over stock? bhp and torque.

It's always wise to over spec clutches a bit to make sure they last, i.e. don't be running exactly 300 ft / lb on a clutch with a limit of 300 ft / lb

3. legoman

Its a 2006 Saab 9-3

Stock was 150BHP / 240Nm torque

Current 215BHP / 340Nm torque (from a RR earlier this year)

Seems a big jump but it was a detuned engine, its a detuned 2.0t (low pressure turbo) badged as a 1.8t. Maps taken it near to the output of the full fat 2.0T hot which was 225BHP.
    Power wise im more than happy with what it does so not planning adding anymore horses to it.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Sachs makes a few clutches for the 9-3 range.

Normally a clutch DOES have some headroom with regards to power... but you're pushing out more than 30% more. I'd try to get a part number for that clutch (your Service centre should be able to help) and see what it's rated for (google can help there).

Also - OEM parts are often a bit stupid expensive. I am a fan of Sachs and LUK parts on that front, so I'd look there (my wife's new clutch and DMF was cheaper than just the new clutch at Fiat)

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

make sure its a genuine LUK clutch thought - locally ECP were taken to court over fake parts....

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thought this was going to be a thread about handbags. I'm out.

7. Strudul

Strudul ~

I was expecting a 1v5 in Search & Destroy. :lol:

8. legoman

I had a look at the Sachs ones they seem to ramp up in cost quite dramatically. Did some google ninjaing last night an found the clutches are the same for the 1.8t, 2.0t and 2.0T Hot variants only when you get six cogs. The 5 cog V6 which is 250BHP has the same clutch and box casing, just different ratios, still tempted with a stage 1 or 2 though just to be safe more than anything.

9. bsp

bsp Minimodder

what's your mileage? Mine's about 90k and just starting to slip on the stock 130 tdi block I have. I probably have another 10-20k left in the clutch at least as it's mostly motorway mileage now.