1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Jason Bourne - 5/10

an hour of movie stretched to last two, a shame really

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Passengers - 9/10
    There are two very good reasons to watch this:
    1) As a film overall it's lovely - beautifully shot, a fantastic future-scape ship, and a nicely done, if not particularly radical plot. Think Oblivion or The Martian-type sci-fi, but with better actors.

But it's also a bit of a drama/love-story thing going on, and the first hour of the film is mostly a

2) (And forgive me for sounding just like some horny nerd) Jennifer Lawrence (and Chris Pratt).

Not the CGI'd to within an millimetre of perfection Mystique, but a drop-dead gorgeous, real-life woman, with all the wrinkles, knobbly knees and minor imperfections left in, which elevates her from some mystical figure to that girl-next-door beauty. It's the same thing with Carey Mulligan in Drive.

For the ladies there's also a very healthy amount of Chris Pratt, looking devillishly handsome for quite a bit of it as well.

As a complete die-hard of the originals, I really enjoyed it. It's a modern segue into the first film, there's a couple of characters that are rubbish, but it's a very good film.

3. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Rogue 1 - 8/10

Agree that the beginning could have been improved and the CGI bits should have had a less is more approach as lingering for too long made the uncanny valley effect come out.
    Great film overall though and really a shame this wasn't episode 3. A decent Episode 1 with the droid wars and Kenobi meeting Anakin and Padme followed by Episode 2 being the turn to the dark side then this would have been much better than stretching out Anakin's change over two whole films (which were not very good).

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd agree - I think you could make 3 very good films by having ep 1-3 condensed into two, more grown-up films (and no bloody Hayden Christensen), followed by Rogue One.

5. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

If you cut out Hayden and Jar Jar and added another 90 minutes of Natalie Portman! :clap:

6. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Gotta be honest, Rogue One bored me.
    I simply did not care about any of the characters in any way shape or form.
    Considering TFA, it seems odd to say Rogue One carried too much fan service but TFA had interesting characters to drive it.

I did like the feel and a look of it, very Star Wars, right along with the space battle, but the whole thing just fell very flat for me.

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Rogue One 8.5/10

Really solid action movie even without the Star Wars background. Managed to persuade my girlfriend along who is normally anti-Star Wars but she really enjoyed it. I love everything Star Wars and I really enjoyed it also, but I'm certainly not a die hard fan so I'm sure those who are will pick holes and just ruin it for themselves. K-2SO is a great addition, and I didn't realise it was Alan Tudyk who voiced him either.

All in all, a great watch and definitely worth seeing in the cinema thanks to the great visuals.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

No offence, but I'm guessing you're not a Star Wars hardcorist... The saga episodes (unless Disney goes rogue in Ep8/9) are principally about the Skywalkers. That's why Rogue One was distinctly separated from the saga.

And the droid wars...? How dare you even show your face in here :p

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just took the kids and my nephew to see Rogue One - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it, despite
    the ****ing awful CG Tarkin and iffy (though thankfully brief) CG Leia
    . As someone else mentioned, I'm glad to see they
    had the balls to kill everyone off
    , because not doing that would have been huge mistake.

Iffy bits were few, but
    their penchant for having apparently important control consoles outside and exposed
    did take some on the shine off it.

I loved the
    X-Wings coming to the rescue of the ground troops and taking out the AT-ATs
    - it was such an epic scene.

The film stands up well on it's own, which probably is what I liked most - I don't think you'd have to be heavily invested in the series to enjoy it - and I don't think it leaned on that crutch any more than to provide, IMO, largely unnecessary nods to the other films.

Having said that the final scenes,
    linking to the start of Ep IV
    worked very nicely for me.

10. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Assassin's Creed - Just as bad as you thought / 10

Somehow the story is worse than the video game (from what I remember). It contains tons of forced and cliched dialogue that is just cringe worthy. Definitely just a cash grab. It's a shame as it has a lot of acting talent who's skills have been severely underutilized.

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

So Unsurprisingly, Video game movies are still always bad.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Suicide Squad: What is going on?/10

I only managed an hour over 3 sittings. When it's not too dark to tell what's happening it's mind numbingly craptacular cinema. Only the CG is quite impressive except the 'monsters', which are terrible.

Tonight I will be continuing to watching Trolls with the boy and regretting having downloaded it.

EDIT:

Trolls: 3 year old LOVES it/10

It's tolerable when your kids almost wet themselves laughing over farting glitter jokes. We watched it 1.5x in one sitting.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Dec 2016
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What's your 2017 looking-forward-to movie list?

Mine:
    Moana - out here in Jan. Meant to be A+ Disney
    Cars 3 - the boy will LOVE it regardless of how crap the story is.
    Red Turtle - Studio Ghibli produced with French director/writer. Man trapped on desert island who befriends a large turtle. Not a single word spoken. It's meant to be incredible.
    Logan - Only marginally looking forward to. The last two Wolvie movies weren't great.
    GoG2 - Oh yesss
    Thor 3* - Oh yesss
    Alien Covenant - Oh yessssss
    Blade Runner 2047 - Curious whether it'll work
    Batman Lego Movie - OH YESSSSS
    Star Wars - Erection already starting ahead of December
    Despicable Me 3 - Literally the only thing I enjoy from Dreamworks
    Ghost in the Shell - Not sure at all about ScarlettJo.. but I'll stay open minded as a GITS fan
    Valerion - Luc Besson sci-fi! Count me in.
    Trainspotting 2 - I was too young for the first one.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Dec 2016
  14. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Hey Bindi shouldn't that be Thor 3?

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Hey Bindi, What about CHiPs: The motion picture! :p

PS: Moana = Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in a musical? :worried: *runs away to buy earplugs*

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The
    Guy
    Can
    Sing

17. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Anyone know whether the Assassin's Creed film spoils any of the games? I'm only part way through AC2 but am interested in seeing the film.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As far as I'm aware [only having actually played the first 2] it doesn't spoil any of the games...

19. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Chronologically that makes no sense - Rogue One depicts the events leading up to New Hope - don't really care whether that makes it "Saga" or "canon" - it is the fourth in the sequence and it could easily have been the third.

Droid Wars - you know what I mean - the bit with the robots fighting the men in the capes with the light up swords!

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Started to watch Spiderman 2 yesterday evening, um soap opera with incredibly naff humour and small bits of action which seemed to involved little more than destroying half the city. Switched channels.