1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any PHP programmers here ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GaryP, 13 Dec 2016.

1. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I am not sure if this is in the right section but here goes.

I have just taken over the running of a sports club website that uses asp. The site is run on a custom built management system using mySQL that outputs in asp. Basically I want (someone) to rebuild the backend so that I can rebuild the site using php.

I have just started rebuilding the front end as it was all built using tables, and so I am recoding properly and using css to style.

The backend is a fairly extensive set up so of course I would get the club concerned to pay you. I just need an idea if it can be done and an idea of the cost.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you're using MySQL as a backend then you can use PHP for the frontend without rebuilding the backend at all

3. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Well I have just taken it over and everything is output into asp including all the admin bits. Thats why I assumed it will need to be totally rebuilt. I am completely lost with it.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

MySQL is just a DB, the ASP is the front end that's pulling data. You need a password to get in to MySQL then you should be able pull data out.

A complete rewrite wouldn't be cheap, minimum of 20 hours at £100 an hour or so

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

6. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I've converted a MSSQL & ASP site to MySQL & PHP before - have to admit, not a fun project. We are talking ASP 3/ASP classic, right (.asp)? Not ASP.net (.aspx)? Starting with A MySQL DB might alleviate some of the pain, but I remember the code itself being a real horror. If the site is/was using tables for layout, probably a safe bet that it was built in the same era of web dev.

Any particular reason for wanting to purge ASP? Is your ASP hosting being shut down? Or perhaps because ASP is terrible, and you'd like to make the world a slightly better place? :D In my case the hosting was getting increasingly less reliable and repeatedly broke as the host upgraded the OS and various bits of the platform. Being realistic, if you have something stable and working, that isn't the worst thing in the world.

That said, if you did want to go ahead... any sort of required timeframe for work on this? Busy time of year. I'm not sure I'd even hazard an estimate without knowing how complex the site and admin area is either. I'll keep an eye on the thread.

7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Would rebuild the whole thing in Laravel connecting up to the ready made mysql database with migrations.

Easyyy

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The famous last words of every programmer ever :D

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I’ve seen your magic in that dial java thread, I know when i’m beaten!

Bows