1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long til that new forum?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Guest-16, 8 Dec 2016.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:thumb:

2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Hmm well I know some sites running VB2.x and they are fine!!

Here are a couple

http://forums.beyond.ca?styleid=3 -- v2.3.9
    www.asylumnation.com?styleid=4 -- v2.3.0 I think (Not sure about the .0)

Dont let mainstream BS scare you off of GOOD software!! (They just wanna make $$$$$$ on newer stuff that is crappier and doesnt run as well)

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

So basically, everyone should buy their software and never update it or buy newer versions because it's just the same software but made slower?

Never mind the large amounts of security fixes or feature updates, the damn big corporations are just trying to take your money! :rolleyes:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They look like **** though, let's be honest. The features and functions have moved on from the last century.

5. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

New Forum. #soon... Half Life 3 Confirmed...-ish.... Creame Anglaise not real, Custard Cheesecake!

6. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Which features and functions are we missing? why can't we just purchase the latest version of VB if we want, grab a nice theme and move the database over?

edit : just been browsing themes and they all look absolutely like tosh screw that!

Last edited: 8 Jan 2017
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Image attachments is a huge omission. Social links. Drag and drop.

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You can't just migrate the website to the newest version of VB because of the sheer amount of customisations that are currently running on the outdated version. The site would just break and at least 3 people would end up crying in a corner :nono:

9. Weekly_Estimate

Maybe i’m being too optimistic but haven’t we got a design team in charge of keeping the website/forum modern and secure?

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I would imagine they are contract firefighters rather than an actual design/dev team. Although maybe the owners have enough web stuff to keep a small team going. Who knows.

Anyway if they are running legacy V bulletin I'm not sure what they could do to keep the forum secure, unless v bulletin provides legacy security updates.

11. E1TSY

E1TSY A cog in the bit-tech machine

Good Morning All

Just wanted to update you and let you know that the new forum will be here soon.

When i say soon, i say DEFINITELY Before Half Life 3 :)

Fear not, our dev team are not "Contract Firefighters" and sadly we also wish it was a simple as downloading the latest version, migrating the database over and pressing go :)

The forum work has been ongoing for 6 months plus with some of our mods using the BETA for a feedback period.

We are nearly there and appreciate your patience. I can assure you all when i say that we would have loved to have had a new home for you all by now, sadly the legacy code on this forum has made it a little "tricky" to say the least.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Only mods? No limited public beta for select users?

13. Weekly_Estimate

Contract Firefighter confirmed! :thumb:

n/j looking forward to it!

14. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Overclockers have just buggered their site up 'upgrading' and AV Forums running an ad that screwing up everyone's browsers. Careful what you wish for :)

15. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Yep, OCUK forums are hideous now, even before you read them.

16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Agreed, whatever you do , don't do it like OCUK did. Horrible to try and read / navigate.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Admittedly I dont view OCUK forum at all regularly but it looks the same, just full width!? Is it simply because it "changed a bit and I dont like having to click different" or is there more significant issues?

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

At a first glance it doesn't look all too different based on appearance, but it sounds like there's a lot of issues with their new system.

They have a checklist of things to fix on their GD forum (I haven't read through it to see how complex the bugs are) and at the top of that topic is a note stating that their member's market is closed until further notice, so it sounds like there's likely a couple of significant issues... at least for people who have access to that area.

19. FatalSyntaxError

FatalSyntaxError What's a Dremel?

Any update on this?

In 10 days it'll exactly 2 months since E1TSY said soon™.

Not that I have any major gripes with the current forum (then again with my post count I'm unlikely to have run into any issues either) but having been through some the security issues that come from running old vB versions I'm rather looking forward to something that's easier to keep secure with updates and patches.

20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

current update is soon™ :naughty: :lol: