1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell unveils 27 Ultrathin Quad HD HDR monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Great, just what the monitor market needs, another proprietary standard.:rolleyes:

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Engadget shows it seems to be almost tablet thin, with the connections in the stand, meaning no VESA support.

4. Cr@1g

Cr@1g What's a Dremel?

yawn!

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You can't mount it on a VESA stand because the components are in the base.
    Honestly, this is just silly. HDR you can't use as it is not standard, and only 99% sRGB coverage (I mean, for the price). It should have been at least the 4K version of the Surface Studio panel, meaning it has DCI-P3 coverage, with 100% sRGB, with standard HDR support.

At 700$ I expect nothing else than pushing the industry forward, as they used to do.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

They are trying the same crap as Google with the Pixel phone, arbitrarily inflating prices in hopes that they will become a fashion brand like Apple and people will buy it regardless of the technology inside.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

<Grumpy old man>

When did everything have to become "thin"?

When monitors were two feet thick and weighed 90 lbs we got by. Is 1 or two inches thick really too thick for someone who sits at a desk? Especially since most stands need to be at least 4-6" deep to hold your miraculous thin monitor up anyway.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think, like glossy plastic, it makes some nice product pictures, which makes a product more attractive (or at least, this is what marketing likes to think).

So we are done with glossy monitors (now car manufactures are jumping into glossy plastic interior.. I kid you not.. I mean I don't know in Europe, but here in US/Canada/Mexico... you pick any Toyota, or go all the way up to a BMW or Mercedes, you have glossy plastic. When I bought my car, the "least glossy plastic interior" was a point of consideration.. how sad...)

Anyway, now it is thinnest. Thin monitor, thin laptop, thin phones, thin thin thin... It's so bad, that even some computer manufactures (ahem.. Dell), only mentioned the height of their system at the edge, and not the thickest area to get similar figures to Apple MacBook Pros while being thicker... they could advertise their superior battery life and performance, but nope.. "look how thin it is! Look how we are lying to your face! Dell.. a brand you can trust!".

Since the privatization of the company, the company has been making impressive systems compared to before. Sadly, it needs a new marketing team.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2017
  9. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I'm sick of monitors taking up huge spaces on my table! Thinner monitors (stand depending...) mean more desk space, or a thinner desk, and a prettier room.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Well, since you've mentioned desk space... You won't be able to mount these on a monitor arm to get them up off you desk, because they don't offer VESA support. I don't care what it is or what else it can do, any monitor without VESA support is immediately a stupid and poorly designed product. It's like designing a car without any passenger seats. You can still use it, but not to its full potential which is standard with any other car.

11. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

This monitor is thin for purely aesthetic reasons. You can't use it off the stand which is deeper (by far) than the display - so paying extra for a thin display that provides no benefit in being thin is all form over function.

Now with big big home 'TVs' thinness is good if you're wall mounting. Who was it that just announced their 'wallpaper' TV?

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

LG IIRC

Also this seems like it's intended to be paired with the new MBPs... which are also thin for the sake of being thin...

EDIT: It was indeed LG - linky

Last edited: 6 Jan 2017
  13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Low res monitor, sad response time, proprietary 'standard' and a Dell.

Absurd.