1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

If you're alright with a hostel The Safehouse or NosDa are both decent, and they'd save you £40.

The Cardiff YHA is OK too, but it's out of the way and I got propositioned by a prostitute walking back to it. Not the best.

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Finding out Star*Dagger got banned has made my day. Should have happened years ago but better late then never.

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Really?

Yeah, you're right! Awesome! Thanks jinq-sea! :thumb:

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

No worries. His utter nonsense finally wore me down yesterday!

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Who? I don't know who that is.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

He only really posed in the article comments, he embodied the worst of the 'PC Master Race' bollocks... in his eyes unless you ran a ridiculously high-end PC you weren't a 'proper gamer' and all his posts were along those lines.

7. Darkwisdom

Ah, those twits. I dislike the elitism of people like that. I do personally think that playing on a PC is the best experience, but I honestly couldn't care what people played on if it makes them happy. I never understood what "PC master Race" Achieved other than making people hate them?

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It was a line in a Zero Punctuation video in 2008, that's where this came from:

[​IMG]

I don't think most people were entirely serious about the PCMR thing - at least not to start with. It started out as a bit of self-deprecating humour, and a lot of people still used the term in that sense. But there are always a few well-poisoners who jump on the bandwagon (if you'll forgive the tortured metaphors).

But Star*Dagger was a c0ck. Even if he was trolling then he was certainly a dedicated troll.

9. Darkwisdom

I'm aware of where it came from but I don't know what people today feel like they achieve by spreading hate like that. It even makes other PC gamers hate them, as many console gamers can sometimes make assumptions. I spoke to this guy about gaming a while ago; as soon as I mentioned that I primarily (the key word is primarily, I do have consoles as well) he basically said "So you think you're better than someone who plays on a PS4?". I blame PCMR trolls for things like that, as that stereotype wouldn't have gained popularity if people just saw it as a joke.

10. techniana

techniana What's a Dremel?

Coming back to my family after a hard day at work is an absolute joy. My two daughters and my husband.

11. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Wife had an interview today for a new, better job at a different law firm as a head of team - nailed it, instant offer and agreement to her terms of employment (salary/days worked etc).... why does this make my life awesome?

Happy wife = happy life = no grumbling and strife about existing job = quiet life for me :thumb:

12. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Love it!!!!

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Just bought a .com domain for 95p considering i bought one earlier for £11, Crazy Savings!

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I just discovered my home town branch of my bank is now open late enough for me to visit after commuting the 20 miles home, instead of having to fight my way both in and out of the town where I work, during rush hour.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

A bios update and a kernel update and suddenly suspend to ram is now working in linux on my laptop. The XPS 13 (9360) has turned out to be a little beaut of a laptop to run linux on.

16. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Might have just found my best camera bargain yet. By coincidence I was actually the first person to see the listing.
    Fingers crossed for when the package arrives.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Spent yesterday evening fixing up these two puppies. The Data East Star Wars on the right had no keys, so step one was busting out the lockpicks - always a pleasure! I absolutely love pinball machines, and they are a ridiculous amount of fun to work on.

18. Darkwisdom

That Star Wars machine looks like a blast to play as well.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Are they yours or do you do some kind of service?

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not mine, sadly: they're installed in a new real ale place in Bradford called Brew Haus. Mate of mine's a pinball fan (he's got three tables of his own) and asked for a hand getting those running - particularly the Star Wars one, 'cos he knew I was half-decent at picking locks and didn't want to risk damage to the table by drilling out the old ones.

Didn't need that much doing to it, to be honest. Rewired the power, cleaned the play surface, opened up the back board and found the power supply was literally hanging by its wires with the missing screws stuck to the speaker magnet(!), fixed one of the solenoids which had lost its plunger, replaced the two flippers 'cos one's rubber had perished and the other was completely destroyed(!), bit of wiring tweakage, mapped the bulbs that need replacing, reconfigured it for free play and changed a few other settings while I was in there, and fixed the out-of-play detection switch that wasn't reliably sensing when a ball had dropped through the gate.

Still needs a little more love - replacing the bulbs, fixing one of the bumpers that isn't bumping - but it's playable as-is.

Oh, and a little fun aside: you know at the end of a game of pinball when it shows a number that you have to match, and if you match it you get bonus points, an extra ball, or a free credit depending on how it's configured? The Star Wars table has that. Guess what the default chance of winning is?

0%. Cheeky buggers!