1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Which original?

The 1925 silent film, the 1959 Charlton Heston version, or the 1899 stage play on which they were based [which iirc features on on-stage chariot race]?

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...or the 1880 book on which they were all based? :p

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I assume he means the '59 film, which won a billion-or-so awards.
    And yes, that one is MUCH better... but then, so was angry birds....

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Imperium - 7.5/10
    It's a great film starring Harry Potter about skinheads and such. BUT - while it's well crafted and well acted and all, I couldn't help but feel that the subject was handled a bit better (though with a different tonality) in American History X.

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Penguins of Madagascar 6/10

It's alright, pretty fun and silly little film for the kids.

Fun Fact - Benedict Cumberbatch plays the Wolf "Classified". He can also not pronounce "Penguin". He instead says it "Penwing". It's hilarious when you look for it in this film.

6. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

"40 year old virgin".......WOW I know a guy just like him......except for the virgin part...

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The Way - 8/10

Watched this film last night, with Martin Sheen in it, it's directed by his son (Emilio Estevez) and really is a love story to the "El camino de Santiago" - the way to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. It's suprisingly good, and quite therapeutic.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Did some movie/series watching over the weekend (and, in fairness, the past week)

Arrival - 8/10
    This was good. Not what I expected from the genre.
    The acting is solid, the plot is good, and it's a little less "YAYMURRICA(tm)" than is the norm.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 6/10
    Perfectly entertaining and braindead action flick. That is really all one can say about this. In fairness, if I had to chose between this and, say, Spectre, I'd pick this.

Inferno - 5/10
    Dan Brown is a bit of a one trick pony, it would seem (having read Davinci Code and Angels and Demons, as well as some other books, this should come as no surprise to me).
    There are some interesting concepts here, but they all go unexplained (or rather: badly explained). Distinctly MEH

Not a MOVIE, but still:
    A Series of Unfortunate Events - 7.5/10
    The Netflix series is good. It follows (tonally) from the Jim Carey film, but duplicates a large part of the content (i.e. the Film covers books 1-3, Season 1 covers books 1-4).
    It does get a bit samey eventually (as one would expect), but the tone stays consistent and on point the whole time, and the production is perfect. Even Neil Patrick Harris is good fun in this.

9. GorgTech

GorgTech What's a Dremel?

Sharknado 3 - 2/10
    I love thrash movies but this one is really bad..not worth the time. I wonder how it´s possible to create 3x bad movies of the same type?

Under the Shadow - 8/10

This horror movie is intense and better than I´ve expected.

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Managed to catch a showing in France when on holiday, unfortunately the one part which required English subtitles was crucial! (Alien language part) Still, I very much enjoyed it and it was certainly an original take on the first contact scenario. I'd possibly even say 9/10..

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Agreed. Doesn't hurt that it's up for the oscar for Best Picture (But will undoubtedly lose to La La Land :duh:).

12. MyDude

MyDude What's a Dremel?

Finally got around to watching 10 Cloverfield Lane.
    4/10 honestly and I think that's only because I respect John Goodman. Script was boring and unoriginal. Plot was predictable. Acting was pretty good, I'll give it that. Overall it never answered any of the questions I cared about and it felt a lot like sequel bait

13. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

I saw it today!!!!!!:rock::thumb: 8/10

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Will the newly released T2 Trainspotting be as big a disappointment to railway enthusiasts as the original film?

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Rouge One.
    One hour too long / 10

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Legend 5/10 This was overlong and really just seemed to be a bunch of scenes spliced together with very little substance to hold them together. Really did not enjoy it.

The Purge: Anarchy. 3/10
    Yet another sequel to an alright first film but with such a poor storyline but full of Hollywood nonsense.
    Girl falls over, man carries girl because, surprise surprise, she has hurt her ankle, five minutes girl is running down the street like Mo Farah.
    Running for their lives yet time enough for a counselling session, girl questions man about the validity of his purpose during the purge.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Monuments Men - Stop speaking French!/10

A bit grim in places but I actually enjoyed it.

Inspector Gadget - Go Go Gadget NOPE!/10

Forgot this a: existed and b: sucked as much as it did.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2017
  18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Hardcore Henry

Was it a 'good' film? No. Of course not, but it knows it, it's very comfortable with it, and I immensely enjoyed every hyper-violent second of it. And I mean ridiculous, hilarious violence, to the point that by the time the plot starts to play out and a few ridiculous parts of the story develop, the ridiculous-bar is raised so high that it seems juuuust fine.

Only down side, just a slight hint of nausea at a couple points in the film, not because of the violence (no, I've been way too desensitised for that), but because of motion sickness. Might be easier to watch on a smaller TV.

19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10

Overall enjoyed it, didn't feel too rehashed and good to see it wasn't a happy ending for people after the first film but was good to see the cast together again.

20. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I couldn't finish Hardcore Henry. My stroke-crippled brain just couldn't cope. 120" home cinema.

However the movie would have been much more enjoyable a a higher frame rate.