1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ [3D Printed] The Iron suit project - Updated 31-10-2018.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cown, 12 Nov 2016.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Watching that video I felt that your helmet was laughing...

2. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Coolest thing I have seen in a very long time!!!! Thanks for shareing!!!! :rock::thumb::clap:

3. Cown

Cown Minimodder

It's the ghost in the machine :eeek: the servo does has some noise to it. It's usually the ones used in RC cars etc. So that's the sound you're hearing :)

Thanks man, glad you like it :)

4. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 04-02-2017

Hi guys

Time for a little status update.

I'm currently working out of town, and will be doing so for the remaining period of February. I hope to get started on the filling, sanding and assembly as soon as I get back home.

But for now, here's a couple of pics of how the suit is starting to take form:

The back, completed:

[​IMG]

The front, completed:

[​IMG]

The big picture :lol:

[​IMG]

The hips and legs are all that remain to be printed. I will start again when I return.

I hope you like it and thanks for looking :thumb:

Last edited: 28 Jun 2017
  5. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 19-03-2017

Hi guys

So after being away for a while for work, here's a small update just to let you know I've started working on the project again :D

Chest with filler sanded down:

[​IMG]

First layer of primer added:

[​IMG]

I am currently working on a new neck as well, more to come in a few days :)

Thanks for looking :thumb:

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's too soon for you to be popping down to Syria and blowing stuff up. If they notice the bottom half of your armor is just a tracksuit, you might get shot at.

7. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Hehe but I need to test it to make sure it's up to the task :D

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

:clap: :clap: I now have envisioned a super hero parody movie where the project ran out of money half way and the hero is running around in half armour half tack suit.

So you printed the suit in corresponding colour, only to cover with filler and paint it the same same colour... hmm.

Don't take my statement the wrong way just could help but point out that your purchase of red filament is a mote design criteria. Great work.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2017
  9. Cown

Cown Minimodder

It's not the same color, it's black and fluorescent red :lol:

The filament color wouldn't matter since it has to be sanded and applied with filler, else the structure would be too rough. The red/orange was what I had in stock at the time, so pure coincidence. I wrote that in the first post :p

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I can't remember a little detail like that posted November of last year... Great now I'm going have to reread entire threads to avoid this situation.

11. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Haha well now you can get your read on :D

12. Impeccable Logic

Impeccable Logic What's a Dremel?

Cool build. You tired of sanding yet? I love 3D printing things, just not the post print work involved to get rid of the print lines.

Looking forward to the final assembly!

13. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Well the sanding takes time, but I'm using a multi tool to do it, so it's okay, the pain is waiting for the filler to dry :lol:

14. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 22-04-2017

Hey guys

Time for a small update, just to let you know, the project is still at a go.

I've been having some issues with the primers and fillers I've been using, mainly causing cracking in the jointed sections as well as cracking of the paint.

Here are some pics to show you:

Here I've used polyester filler along with a plastic primer, now from a far it looks okay, but if you take a closer look you can see that the joined sections of the parts have cracked through the filler:

[​IMG]

I then sanded some more, switched the filler with a glass fiber enhanced filler and the spray filler with a more professional one from Motip, hooping it would be stronger, and keep from racking.

[​IMG]

Now after that I got careless and tested out the black lacquer spray paint on the chest, not making sure I was finished with the fillers, I then had to sand some of it down and reply more filler... Now comes the epic fail.. The paint was acrylic, causing the filler to crack! :waah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now what has my stupid *** learned from this? RTFM! :wallbash:

So my work is still ongoing with the chest, having to make sure I sand down all the black paint, reapply filler and primer, in order to get to the finishing line :rolleyes:

More pics to come as soon as I've finished fixing my epic fail :eek:

Thanks for looking!

15. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 27-04-2017

Hi Guys

So I've "almost" finished the chest. I've added the right color scheme, still need to fix minor cosmetic issues, but other than that, this is pretty much it :)

Black paint added:

[​IMG]

Preparing for the red fluorescent, with the yellow filler, it kinda looks like a bumblebee :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red color added:

[​IMG]

And done, as you can see, I need to remask and reapply black paint to get perfect edges around the red areas, I should have started with the red, after finding out that if there is a darker color below, it will be visible trough the florescent paint, oh well, I guess it's good to learn something new every once in a while :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started on the hands, the right one is already sanded and prepared to be primed :)

[​IMG]

Hope you like it, and as always, thanks for looking :thumb:

16. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 02-05-2017

Hey guys

So I've now finished one of the hands and wanted to show you guys how it looks :)

Testing and aligning the glove:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repulsor added:

[​IMG]

LED light:

[​IMG]

Final testing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after some burn marks :eeek: aligning the fingers, making them stick with hot glue while my hand was inside, I've finished one of them, and am pretty happy with the result.

Hope you guys like it too, thanks for looking :)

17. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 10-05-2017

Hey guys

So I've now finished both hands/gloves and was going trough different ideas on how to fill them up and make them bendable (Cheeps behave yourself! :D), and at the same time have the option to make the fingers "fix" in different positions.

Then the obvious occurred to me :idea: cut off my hands at the wrists, and stuff them inside :eeek: on a serious note lol, I thought I might as well print an articulated hand and stuff it inside. Credits for the design goes to bqLabs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some refitting and very careful, but evil force, I managed to fix this beauty inside my right glove:

[​IMG]

Here you can see the difference it makes; The left glove is with the hand inside, the right one without:

[​IMG]

That't it for now, thanks for looking :) "Iron suit" says "Peace out!":

[​IMG]

18. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 12-06-2017

Hi guys

Time for an update :D

Now I've been a bit busy with some other stuff around the house, so I haven't had so much time to work on the suit. I've made a small workshop in extension to the garage, so I no longer have to work inside the house, disturbed by the wife and kids lol.

[​IMG]

I've also added a little mod the the printer in hopes of better cooling, the fan isn't strong enough though, so I've ordered a new and better fan :) I'm waiting for it to arrive.

[​IMG]

Now while I've been building my workshop, I've acquired a new friend. He doesn't really talk too much and you could definitely call him the silent type :eek: He's been to war and isn't in the best of shapes, but he one hell of a helper :D

Now with no further ado, I give to you, Harold! :jawdrop: :clap: :rock:

[​IMG]

Here you can see him modelling for y'all:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the brain damage he suffered while battling the other models for pole position has left his head permanently enlarged... Maybe some trimming of the ears will fix the issue, but more on that later :D

[​IMG]

Now on to some progress, the left side of the back, sanded and primed:

[​IMG]

The lower back of the neck:

[​IMG]

Abs sanded down:

[​IMG]

And primed :)

[​IMG]

That's it for now, more will hopefully come as the week progresses :D I just hope Harold won't lose his temper, cause he might just lose his head :eeek:

Thanks for looking guys :dremel:

19. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 19-06-17

Hey guys

Time for some more pictures of the current progress :)

Lower back, part of the ribs, as well as the left part of the upper back, sanded, filled and painted:

[​IMG]

Abs painted and assembled:

[​IMG]

Starting to take shape :D

[​IMG]

Assembling and adding of red LED's to the ARC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARC mounted to the chest:

Window for the ARC cut and sanded:

[​IMG]

I've added 45% tinted foil to both sides of the window. I've done this because I don't want the ARC to be the focus point of the suit, it's only there as a minor detail :D

[​IMG]

Much better, now it's a neutral element:

[​IMG]

Camera had a tough time capturing the ARC in the dark, but you get the picture:

[​IMG]

With the light turned on. ATM I don't know if the red LED's are strong enough to be visible trough the inteded white LED I will add to the back of the ARC. The reds are there to work as HDD lighting, flashing then the computer is working, must test this as soon as possible :)

[​IMG]

Windows glued and tightened with black silicone:

[​IMG]

Harold, enjoying himself in the sun, while he takes his time to dry up :naughty:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking guys, stay tuned for more to come :dremel:

20. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Update 28-06-2017 pt. 1

Hello guys :)

So after Bit-Tech launched this much awaited, awesome new forum, I've just finished editing the thread for the images to work again, and now I've got a new update for you on the progress:

After the last update, adding the acrylic glass to the chest, I wanted to remove the masking tape, and continue my work with the arc. Unfortunately because of the chest being held together by ordinary glue from my glue-gun, it cracked :oops: .....again! Now epic rage came over me, shutting my brain off, so I smashed the chest to pieces :mad::mad::mad::mad: then ripped the rest of it apart.

A couple of days went by and I had finally calmed down lol, so I decided to get back on the horse and fix my weak moment of stupidity.

This time I've soldered every part together with a soldering iron, as well as soldered extra PLA to strengthen the connections even more, making sure it wont crack again, even with excessive force being applied to it.

Everything put back together and new filler applied to repair what I broke or damaged:

[​IMG]

Now for a bit of deja vu :rolleyes:

Sanded down:

[​IMG]

Filler reapplied:

[​IMG]

Masking tape added preparing for the signal red:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preparing for the black paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, I think I got lucky and it's come out pretty good again, and A LOT stronger!

[​IMG]

Preparing for the black silicone yet again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I'm waiting for it to dry up and harden, I'm working some more on the ARC, as well as wiring for the gloves:

[​IMG]

Everything seems to be in working order:

[​IMG]

Et viola:

[​IMG]