1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo confirms Switch UK price, launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Three hours? Ouch.

I was thinking this might be a nice flying companion, but that's a bit shy :/

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well done, Nintendo, for managing to screw up yet another product :D I was cautiously optimistic about the Switch, and really hoped it would be great, but yet again Nintendo have demonstrated their capacity for making a pig's ear of things. Hardly any launch games? Check. Steep price for the console and eye-watering price for the peripherals? Check. Pay to play online? Check.

Very disappointed.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Portability is debatable, cost is eyewatering and 3rd party support will probably disappear within 12-18 months. I predict another flop.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Would be very interesting if Nintendo actually one day decided have a look at market trends and try to do something with them.

Competitive gaming, streaming, lets plays? Naa we don't want that, better try to shut them down. Powerful console that actually gives the much lauded developers options? Naa why would they want that? How about a device that doesn't solely exist around a gimmick? Nope, our products don't feature gimmicks. What about doing something truly novel with our extensive IPs? We already do, Pokemon GO with Niantic was the success of the year...

It's so frustrating. They have so much to offer but won't do anything to make use of it. I think the rampant success of Pokemon GO was a testament to how doing something a little different can make huge impacts. But even that they messed up by not taking an active role in what Niantic were doing. The game had key feature removed, fans were ignored, more paywall features added and there was no clear update direction. Now the game is all but dead because it has no longevity, all because it was seen just as marketing tool.

The mind boggles how they didn't try to cash in on having Pokemon an online trading card game, I mean that's what it was to begin with. Do a Magic and prevent it being rendered obsolete.

Then again, they could just release a new Zelda, Mario or Pokemon mobile game instead, easier money.

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

dead on arrival.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

It has the same battery life as a nintendo 3DS XL.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

... and a gazillion [non-replaceable] batteries to charge/keep on top of ...

1 in the tablet bit...

3 in each whole controller [1 in each mini/half controller, plus iirc a 3rd in each controller grip thing]...

And how long you play is determined by which of the whole myriad of batteries dies first...

...and then you misplace one of the mini half-controllers...

Last edited: 13 Jan 2017
  9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

10. gosh

gosh Minimodder

i'd be very curious what all the myriad of separate battery-powered bits use for connectors - please say micro USB as i'd be less worried then. the grey battery grip thingie that the side pads clip onto when used as a separate pad, what function does it actually have ? if the answer is basically none that's also some place that could be taken up with a portable battery that can charge both the pads and possibly even the console ?

i would be worried about losing bits though.

11. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

I certainly agree with your assessment of the cost: £280 is really a bit too much.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'll not be trading the Wii in.

13. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

It uses USB type C.

I think everything is powered through the tablet, so if the controllers is attached to it, it will also charge them.

Really, I don't think this will be anymore of a problem than it is for an Xbox, just remember to put the Switch in the dock when not in use. If it's only used on the TV, then it's almost exactly the same as an Xbox.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and all pre order allocation has been sold out

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

My Wii U will be enough Nintendo for me for a while longer. I'll leave it a year and see how the game librarary pans out before considering a purchase.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2017
  16. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Mario is on iOS. Personally I find the price for an auto-run touch the screen to jump skinned Mario game eye watering.

17. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

I think Nintendo are on to a winner here, lets face it the Wii U was by far better than the Xbox one and PS4 as most of the good games are available on PC so why play at low resolution at just 30 fps on the consoles!! So I will defo purchase the Switch to play all the games that are not available on PC.

My missus purchased me a an Xbox one at launch and I can honestly say I have only played two or three games on it, I now use the controller with my PC to play Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 so the Xbox will never be switched on again!!

Good one Nintendo the Switch is exactly what you tried to achieve with the Wii U.

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's a lot more than that. It's really well executed, great level design and a decent amount of content - well worth the price in my opinion. Devs can't win, people moan about pay to win and micro transactions but, when offered a full fledged game at a one off price, people moan about that too.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ooh, I can answer this one: 'cos you can't build a gaming PC for £200.

G'wan. Try. Put together a gaming build which will play 'most of the good games' at 1080p60 for £200. Oh, and remember to put aside £85 for a Windows licence - leaving you with just £115 for all the hardware. Once you've failed to do that, try to put together one that could manage a console-like 720p30.

Then give up. :p

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yeah, but you have to pay for online on the consoles, and games are £2 more, so in 8 years you'll make all of that extra money back!