1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo confirms Switch UK price, launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I save money on the online aspect by not actually having any friends to play with in the first place.

<sobs>

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You've got pinball machines... quit yo whining :p

...yes ... I know they weren't yours

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You will still need a PC regardless of having a console because of the non gaming things a console can't do.
    Then for £200 you can add an RX480 / GTX1060 to that PC you have anyway.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Stop calling it the Switch and start calling it the "280 quid Mariokart and Zelda machine" and then you'll have an idea of its complete value.

Nintendo's only value is its first party content. It would make more money if they had a streaming gaming service where you could play its games on any platform, not restrictive, high priced hardware.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not these days you don't - PC sales have been dropping steadily for five years. People have laptops or tablets instead - and good luck adding an RX480 to that!

6. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've been asking for a hybrid for years, so the Switch as a piece of hardware is right up my street.

The HD Rumble is an interesting 'innovation'... but without any kickass must-have games that really exploit the new tech with worthwhile new experiences, I fear the joy cons are going to repeat the problem with the Wii U gamepad: great tech but lacking in games, meaning owners are forced into investing in underutilized tech.

Where are the games, Nintendo? You abandoned the Wii U 18 months ago, so what have you been doing?

7. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Regarding PC sales, that might not be 100% accurate. According to Deloitte, the fall in PC and laptop sales appears to be tailing off, while tablet sales are forecast to keep falling.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...l-third-successive-year-pc-market-stabilises/

So we might still be able to add an RX480 in somewhere ;)

8. Gareth Halfacree

But that, sadly, ignores the fact that far more laptops are sold than desktops. Even in China, where desktops are more common, it's a 50:50 split.

Think about your non-gaming friends. How many have a desktop, and how many a laptop and/or tablet?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Would be interesting to see what it looked like if it was split between private households and all those companies / governments / schools that have no reason or money to upgrade cause the most demanding software used is MS Word.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The non-gaming PC world is cratering. Tablets are as dead as EeePCs. Business/gov/schools have been buying mostly laptops for sometime. Gaming has sustained PCs, which is why evvvvvvvvvveeeerrryyyooonneeeeee is branding gaming hardware these days.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Quick update to the article: the bundled Joy-Con grip does not contain a battery or any means of charging the Joy-Cons, it's nothing more than a plastic shell. You can get a grip which does charge the Joy-Con controllers, for an extra £27.99, or you can attach the controllers to the Switch to charge 'em at the same time as the internal battery.

Except, of course, if you're leaving your Switch in the docking station to charge it, in which case you can't 'cos you have to detach the Joy-Con controllers before sticking in the toaster. Nice work, there, Nintendo. Really smooth(!)

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I read about the USB charging grip the other day and I think it was at that point that I realised that Nintendo have completely, utterly and totally lost the plot. £30 for a USB port :D

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So battery life of the 'full' controller is determined by which half/joy-con dies first... nice...

*golf clap*

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

A reliable source for Nintendo store says 6000 pre-orders so far

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It will need to be a few hundred thousand before they break even.

I've not commented on this so far (well, I did post a parp from my phone) but it is really bad. I was expecting some sort of modular system where you could upgrade the modules. Not a tablet that slots into a base station.

It's too big to be a handheld. So it's basically a tablet that runs a couple of Nintendo's class A games. Nowhere near enough to make it successful. If I was even looking at this thing I would go PS4 Pro, because by the time you rig this thing out it would cost about the same.

Whilst it all looks rather slick it just doesn't seem to fit anywhere for me.

"Oh I will just pull my handheld out of my pocket whilst I wait for the bus and play it, then put it back in my pocket" - don't think so.

Oh I will just slot my handheld console into a dock and make it a console with under powered hardware" - again, don't think so.

This thing just appears to be desperately trying to be a jack of all trades but mastering none. And Nintendo usually always master something with their consoles. Whether it be the controller (N64) or motion controls of the under powered Wii.. Yeah, this one offers none of that.

I would rather just buy a tablet with a grip controller (easy) and a PS4 Pro.

16. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

It will be interesting to see how it gets on – I just think it would have done so well if it did one or both of the following
    - Worked as a tablet for web browsing, installing apps etc – it wouldn’t have been difficult to use a branch of android as the OS and then have their own walled garden of apps for example
    - Used one of the cloud gaming services to beef up its gaming prowess – Nvidia have their own service and make the chip in the tablet! Imagine if it could also run Geforce Now so you can play your favourite Nintendo games locally AND play your favourite PC games from the cloud – gets around the usual lousy third party support issues

17. Gareth Halfacree

Is it? That's only a 6.2" screen. Without the Joy-Cons attached, it's roughly the same footprint as the New 3DS XL (or whatever the hell it's called - the latest big 'un); with them attached, it's only a bit wider and a *lot* thinner.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well obviously one could easily hold it in their hands (in the literal sense). It's just not practical unless you carry a bag/rucksack. It doesn't close either so the screen could get damaged quite easily (I'm assuming it's some sort of Gorilla glass..).

It just looks so cumbersome to me.

Plus anything from the DS will run on an emulator. Recently I was playing The New Super Mario Bros on my £30 tablet with a controller and I could use the touch screen to change mushrooms to flowers etc. It all worked superbly.

There aren't many top notch Android games but there are a few.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

As I said when they announced: TOO MANY CONTROLLER OPTIONS. It's trying TOO HARD. Focus on making a couple absolutely awesome and easy. That's why the Wii was so successful. This has too many 'buts' and all those alternative control methods need testing and developer time, which takes away budget from actually making the game.

20. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Where did you get that the joy-cons have to be removed before toasting, 'cos I don't think that's right?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/by_the_way_the_joy-con_grip_bundled_with_nintendo_switch_wont_charge_your_joy-cons

As for it being portable, it's quite conceivable to me that if I wanted to pocket it I could easily remove the joy cons, stuff them in one pocket, and put the main unit in another pocket.

I've decided I want one, and if I hadn't only just bought an Xbox One S I'd probably be buying a Switch at launch.

Bear in mind that the Wii U had plenty of great, exclusive games. The Switch is as good as the Wii U when in portable mode (with an even better screen than the Wii U gamepad), and even better when docked. Add in the potential that Nintendo's development of 3DS games will phase out should mean an even better lineup of first party exclusives.

Plus, the Switch will now occupy the portable gaming market as the primary device, probably. Games like Disgaea 5 coming to Switch is a good sign that Japanese 3rd parties are recognising that. Will western 3rd parties do the same? Who knows.

I'm not yet convinced that the Switch will get the games to justify the HD Rumble tech costs, but I am satisfied that it's going to be a great piece of hardware.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2017