1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LEGO Ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by Awoken, 15 Jan 2017.

1. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

With the UK being lashed by wind, rain and miserable periods of sleet all of my launches have been scrubbed. Stuck inside, my son and I have been geeking out on Star Wars and Lego. We've recently got into Lego Ideas (I got Wall-E from my mother-in-law last Christmas and the Big Bang Set - 21302 - from my wife this Christmas and both are well loved). There are some excellent sets on the Lego Ideas site and I thought I'd mention them here to see if they could find some more fans:

Star Wars Rogue One - Imperial Shuttle
    [​IMG]
    I know it wasn't everyone's favourite, but despite a couple of minor flaws, Rogue One is my second favourite of the films, knocking 'A New Hope' down to third. I can't believe this isn't already a Lego set and I've already got shelf space picked out for this (after a lot of recreations of the Battle of Scarif.

Red Dwarf
    [​IMG]
    Boys from the Dwarf! The RED crew quarters décor from season X, the Holly Hop Drive from season II, the space craft Blue Midget and the male incarnation of Holly. Can't wait for season 11. I've no idea where I'd put this but I love it.

Iron Giant
    [​IMG]
    I loved the Iron Giant when I was little and not much has changed. It was a combination of this and the movie 'Explorers' (showing my age now) that sparked my interest in inventing, robotics and space flight. I love the detail and the fact that BrettCuv has included some nicely designed mini figures with this.

Women of NASA
    [​IMG]
    This one is a bit personal as I love Space and regularly dive into the history of spaceflight on a rainy afternoon. There are some fantastic role models in this set who rarely get a mention in pop culture.

Have any of you got favourite Lego sets? What have you built recently?

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Over Christmas I built:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I go through the Ideas page on a regular basis supporting all the stuff I like. I supported the Iron Giant so fingers crossed for that. One thing I really don't like are the 'ideas' that have only been designed with LDD, It's just doesn't sit right with me if you want my support at least make the effort to actually build what you're trying to get in stores!

3. Awoken

The Bug is cute and I love Wall-E (plan to motorise him later on - I may need to scale him up a little first).

I know what you mean about the LDD only designs. You can't possibly know how a model will behave unless you construct it yourself. On the other-hand, LDD lowers the price of entry into the large scale MOC community.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Last Lego I built was UCS Sandcrawler & UCS Tie Fighter, over Xmas.

5. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

These all seem to to be in review but hope they make it- especially red dwarf and women of NASA!
    What I'd really like to see as someone who travels for work would be some small country specific models they could sell in the airport so I could pick up say a London Bus model at Heathrow, or an Eiffel Tower at Charles de Gaulle - that way I could get the kids presents that they'd like and would be actually played with!

(Other ideas include Egyptian Pyramids, Greek Temples and Trump Towers!)

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You mean like these already existing kits which are almost certainly sold at airports?

7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Lego Ideas in principal is great.

My problem is that people are filling it with sets Lego have explicitly said they will not make i.e. using an existing IP (star wars is the worst case) - which defeats the point.

people should be inventive/different - rather than relying on someone else's work, use your darn brains and come up with something unique. Or at the very least follow the guidelines and stop wasting peoples time. /rant

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Agree with MadGinga. I had a "Lego idea" running from summer 2015-16 and it didn't break 1,000 votes because it wasn't really appealing to a wide audience. Like MadGinga said, most of the very successful ideas are based on existing IPs so they are more business ideas than actual toy ideas.

I would even go so far as to say I'm not entirely in agreement with MadGinga that the Ideas project is "great" - it's kinda cheeky of TLG to rake in the profits from a set they didn't design or promote themselves. I see many amazing potential sets reach 10,000 votes which are ultimately turned down, and it's really sad. TLG should (and could easily) put a lot more of these sets into production to make the Ideas project worthwhile for the fans IMO; as it stands, it's all about maximising their own profits. Now that's a rant! :lol:

On topic, the only Lego set I currently have built is my own - the Monster Miner. I considered selling it but haven't gotten round to it yet, and I'd probably regret it if I did sell it. Sold off most of my Technic sets early last year as I have hardly any time (or space) for Lego now. Love reliving the childhood experience whenever my son gets a set for his birthday/Christmas. :)

9. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

NICE!!!!!! Wall*E is the best!!!!

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Im pretty sure you can motorise Wall-E and keep him the same size

11. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Sort of but these are a bit high in price and size and the complexity level is pretty high - I'd like something that I can pop in the carry on. Also doesn't have to be architecture.

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Darn it, Should have bought this when i had the chance... Lego Ideas 21305 Maze, It's doubled in price at least.

Sam

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

But look at what sets have come ideas, especially the birds, mech suit, labyrinth, scientists. None of these are attached to a licence and all stretch official lego sets in new directions. Good stuff.

Hmmm

Ok Ok

You got me.

I admit it, the only ideas set I've bought is the Ecto 1. But come on... It's Ghostbusters!

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

15. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Was looking at the Red Dwarf set, I hope it becomes a set but my wallet hopes it doesn't. Ended up falling through the internet link trap and found the following: Brick Tour. I love that they used the child mini figure for Hammond.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Whilst it's not from the lego idea site [though iirc there are a few similar 'ideas' on there]...

I give you the Klingon Bird of Prey:

[​IMG]

17. Awoken

The Klingon Bird of Prey is beautiful. What a project.

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

19. adoria

adoria What's a Dremel?

My favourite one is Wolly.. It is amazing what you can creat with the help of these small details

20. Awoken

I've voted for this one. I loved the Red Arrows as a kid and had a couple of old Airfix models of the planes (never managed to get a cockpit on without getting a smudge of plastic cement on the inside of the clear plastic). Would be great to have a lego one to build with my son after an airshow.