1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games you gave up on...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 20 Jan 2017.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

This hurts my soul.
    Wow... I just sobbed my way through it. The owl babies :waah:
    I was made to buy this as I was told it was the best game ever made. I hated it. All the unskippable dialogue made me give up on it.

The Division - I was gifted this game so felt I had to at least finish it. Got to level 30, collected all the things. Uninstalled it. My clan play it sometimes so maybe I'll install it again, but I don't really want to pay for the DLC that makes it a less rubbish game.

Battleborn - this one makes me really sad as I didn't want to give up on it. I adore the game and had 260 odd hours of fun in it, which surprised me as I'd never liked MOBAs before and it is definitely a MOBA and nothing like Overhype at all! The latest Winter update just put some amazing things into it too. But NOBODY plays it on Steam. It's so beyond dead :sigh:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations/3/4 - all lumped in together because I just could not be bothered to finish any of these games. I was far too bored and irritated by bugs and stupid glitches.

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

How did you guys play Dishonored and Deus Ex if I may ask?

I bought both of them when they came out and liked neither. Deus Ex I found especially un-fun. Both games I approached like an ordinary action game. Then I picked up Dishonored again on a whim and tried a stealth playthrough. I enjoyed the intricate level design so much that I played through the whole game twice in a row. Then I picked up Deus Ex again, slogged through the first few missions and really enjoyed the rest of the game.

These games really need to be played in the stealthy way to appreciate them. As a shooter both games are really bland, sometimes frustratingly hard and you miss a lot of details and atmosphere.

If I were to choose I'd pick Dishonored over Deus Ex though: Dishonored is shorter, and the blink ability cuts out a lot of the boring sneaking.

[f]Fallout: New Vegas[/f] is just your typical Bethesda game: Fantastic game but so incredibly broken due to their ancient engine. I put around 90 hours in but cannot finish it: Every few minutes it crashes. Also the invisible walls on the mountains are infuriating.

3. creative

creative 500rwhp

MGS 5 - very repetitive and generally boring.

Alien Isolation - was ok but just didnt hold my attention.

No Mans Sky - well... who did?

Witcher 3 - I LOVED this game. put waaay to many hours into it. Ran it modded with visuals only and I was literally at the final levels and I got the corrupt save issue the game was having. Lost almost 2 months of gameplay and I havent fired it up since. I was salty! :D

Cities: Skyline - Not for me. Got very bored very quickly.

The Forest - was fun, but got a bit too samey. I keep coming back to it when its had a few updates, then leave it again.

Kerbal - fun for a bit but very frustrating.

4. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Wolfenstein. Final boss is crap.

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't finish most the games I start, it would be quicker to list the ones I have completed tbh.

I've just fixed Windows 98 PC so will be having another go at some of my older games I never completed, Baldur's Gate in particular and Severance: Blade of Darkness (best combat system ever).

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

New Vegas was the best one! It had trouble early on but it worked out in the end. It's the only one I played through 3 times.

Creative: MGS5 was repetitive I'll concede but for some reason I felt compelled to complete it. ~100hrs. I skipped ALL the movie parts though. Ground Zeroes was a POS though and I never felt inclined to play any other MGS.

I'm worried Deus Ex MD won't live up to the fuss. I've played the first mission but I can't get into the controls. It's way too twitch sensitive despite playing with the settings.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Definitely adding Assassins Creed 111 for being one of the worst console ports ever. I did not even get past the training/refresher parts. But it was free so hey ho.

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

To be fair, that implies it worked on consoles. It was broken there too. I don't think its issues are with the port :p I gave up on it because of how buggy it was on Xbox. Some missions couldn't even be completed because the person I was meant to follow glitched out.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm with Smiffydude on this tbh:

But let's try and pick out some of the more notable/memorable ones in my collection...

• BioShock: Just found it a bit... meh...
    • Cities: Skylines: Solving traffic problems started to become a real ballache.
    • Crysis: Bored.
    • Deus Ex HR: Couldn't bring myself to care enough about it to carry on.
    • Elite Dangerous: Maybe it might be more immersive if I had a HOTAS setup, but I just found it aimless.
    • EVE Online: SPREADSHEEEEETS IIIIINNNNNNNN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
    • Fallout 4: Played about an hour and was never really gripped. TBF I will finish this game even if it turns out to be totally naff - it's a Fallout game, so I have to play it.
    • MGSV The Phantom Pain Part XXXVX: The Revengeancer (or whatever tf it's called): What the hell is going on with this story now? Also: Bored. Boredboredbored. So bored.
    • Middle Earth: The Shadow of Mordor: I really do want to finish this, but it just hasn't held my attention long enough to do so.
    • Resident Evil HD Remaster: I was super excited when this came out... and played it for no more than about 2 hours. I think I'm truly done with Resident Evil games.
    • Starbound: Isn't this just Terraria in space? (See also: Terraria)
    • Terraria: Never got the appeal of this.
    • Torchlight/Torchlight II: Click. Click. Click. Click. Loot body. Click. Click. Click. Loot. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click. ClickclickclickclickCLICK!! F---, now I need a new mouse.

I'd agree that it's the better of the two games of that era - I haven't finished Fallout 4, so I can't really judge that yet. But in terms of style and setting New Vegas is a lot closer to the original Fallout games that I love so much. It has that same bleak "apocalyptic wasteland" feel to it that Fallout 2 does, rather than the (albeit demolished) urban sprawl of Fallout 3. It also doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as Fallout 3 did, something which the original Fallout games did with aplomb (Bridge of Death, anyone? Or the Knights of the Round Table, perhaps? Or maybe crashed Federation shuttles are more your thing...). Of course it helps when you have some of the original Fallout/Fallout 2 devs working on New Vegas....

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Some games you simply won't get on with but I do wonder if there's a lot of people lying to themselves about what they like or getting caught up in the hype train.
    So many purchases with actual money that people simply go off straight away or never get the value from. I'm guilty of it myself but these days I'll do a little bit more research and try and wait for the hype train to die down unless it's something I absolutely KNOW I like or played alpha/beta in and had a flavour of.

SMIFFY's comment is on point.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

• Crysis - Really enjoyed it up until the spaceship level which completely turned me off, haven't played it in years but even just thinking about it makes me want to play the first few levels again!
    • The Witcher - Found it a bit clunky and left it for a bit, came back to find no cloud saves and so couldn't be bothered going through the first hour or two again, really enjoyed playing The Witcher 2 since though, and will probably pick up the 3rd at some point.
    • Bioshock - Just didn't grab me.
    • Mass Effect - Same as above, just didn't get into it, should probably give it another go at some point.

I'm sure there are various other ones but they're some of the 'bigger' games that I started but never really got into.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The more 'critically acclaimed' games I've given up on are: (also a reason why I largely ignore "professional reviewers" now)

Crysis 3: Crytek are great at making games graphically outstanding, but bad at making games fun. (see also: Crysis, Crysis 2, Ryse: Son of Rome)

Fallout 4: never found an RPG so tedious before. Reinstalled recently, restarted, got bored, uninstalled.

Bioshock Infinite: got bored, stopped playing, uninstalled to make room for other games. Never went back. (see also: Bioshock, Bioshock 2)

Metal Gear Solid 5 (both): I think this has to be the first game where something has freaked me so badly for reasons I can't put my finger on that I've quit playing. The Skulls totally freak me out every time they appear. It's still installed in the hope I actually finish it one day.

Doom (2016): got lost, got bored, quit, uninstalled.

All Telltale 'adventure' games: if I want an interactive novel, I'll play a VN. If I want Quick Time Events, I'll... go lie down until I feel better.

Does giving up due to games crashing count? In that case, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (all of 'em), XCOM 2, and Total War: Shogun 2 (which never used to crash :() can go on the list.

Close to giving up on Dying Light; I've just had enough of the volatiles.

13. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Bioshock games are a recurring subject in this topic. This is not the first thread of this type I've seen (on this site, I think) where Bioshock has been prominent.

14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Torchlight II as stated, clickety click click....
    Battlefield "x" yawn.....
    Call of Duty "x" again really.....
    World of Warcraft Just NO!
    EVE Online Noooooooooo.

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The Division - I hit end game back around launch and got bored very quickly. The lack of variety and juxtaposition of RPG elements in what should be just a 3rd person shooter (the whole pumping 100+ rounds of .556 ammo into a guy with only a hoodie as "armour") made it grow old very quickly. I gave it another chance with patch 1.4/1.5 but again once you have decent gear there is nothing to do (well you can get gear to play (the same) missions to get gear...) Survival is an ok DLC but honestly it should have been part of the main game from the start. The less said about the Underground the better.

No Man's Sky - As wide as and Ocean but deep as a puddle perfectly sums up this title. It gives the illusion of a massive Galaxy that is there to be explored, but fails completely by having nothing to actually do once you get past the "this is pretty cool" honeymoon phase.

FFXV - I have never been heavily invested in the FF series but thought I would give XV a go as I like open world RPG's. Unfortunately I just couldn't get engaged by the game to actually want to play it. I tried, I really did, but honestly I would rather play something else.

16. Paradigm Shifter

Interestingly I have kind of the opposite problem with FFXV: because it's open world and real-time-battle-by-hammering-buttons (rather than the classic 'fight by menu') I'm finding it hard to get in to, and even harder to actually play. There's a reason why I play 'slow' games on consoles and quick ones on PC: I'm a hell of a lot better with a keyboard/mouse than I am with a controller.

Compare this to "World of Final Fantasy" which I'm not very far in to, but am having a blast, despite it being "childish".

17. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I wouldn't say that I completely give up on many games but I stop playing for extended periods... I'll sometimes even have a year or two off before going back to a game (e.g. Witcher 3, I dropped it after 30 or so hours when it launched and only just came back to it this year).

Games that I've totally given up on and almost certainly won't return to:

Half-Life - The series just doesn't offer anything appealing to me, I got it as part of Valve's collection in one of the Steam sales and tried to play a couple of the instalments but they're just a bit too dull and it failed to pull me in.

Amnesia - I had to get this one refunded as it was so boring that I managed to fall asleep while playing. Anything that's bad enough to allow me to doze off while playing isn't going to be something I'll go back to.

Train Simulator (year x) - I'm fine with other simulators (flight, truck, bus, ship and so on) but I just can't get on with playing with trains... I've never liked model railways either so that might be part of my lack of enjoyment from the series.

Terraria - Same as others, I just can't see the appeal of it.

EVE Online - Sadly this used to be one of my favourite games from 2003 to 2011, more recently I've found the game to be getting over simplified and there just isn't any sense of danger... the coalitions have gotten too big to the point that everyone is allied with each other. In a way, I feel like it has become a bit too friendly.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag(the plot at least) - I'm okay booting this up to sail around for an hour but the actual storyline and gameplay on land is just abysmal to the point that I don't even consider docking up. Though I hardly ever bother loading it up at all anymore for that either, as Naval Action has filled the sailing/ocean combat role for me.

Batman Arkham Origins & Arkham Knight - They just don't add anything interesting to the series for me, I enjoyed Asylum and City but couldn't force myself to go through all of the same gameplay a third and fourth time...

Uncharted 4 - As pretty as the game is, it's just lacking in an interesting enough character to want to invest any more time in Drake's final episode. I never finished the second one in the series either, though that was more because the DVD was faulty and I couldn't be bothered to buy it again.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2017
  18. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

You must be the first person I've ever met that thinks Half-Life is dull and 'fail'. It's got one of the more compelling and coherent stories for an FPS and is varied and dynamic in terms of level design and puzzles. But each to their own. I couldn't get enough of the series!

19. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I mistyped that last bit, it's meant to say 'it failed to pull me in' not that the game is fail.

I guess it may not have been the game itself that was dull, I just felt a bit empty and uninterested while I'm playing.

20. Paradigm Shifter

I usually don't mention it on forums (because in the past I've been jumped all over for saying this) but I wasn't the greatest fan of Half-Life 2, Ep1, Ep2 either. I enjoyed the original Half-Life, but 2 and the Episodes just never really grabbed me.

I usually give games a fair amount of time to get me invested, because I've had games in the past be the slowest thing ever for the first hour, then get interesting after that... but I never really 'clicked' with HL2. I forced my way through it, but didn't really enjoy it.