1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Facebook hires Hugo Barra to lead virtual reality efforts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Has VR not gone away yet?

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No, nor have its naysayers, apparently.

4. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

I’ll be interested in seeing which VR company takes the logical step of working with one of the cloud companies to drastically bring down the costs of VR to help it take off.

I am a recent user of Liquid Sky and have been really impressed with how well it runs considering none of the processing is done locally, using a USB controller with your device connected via ethenet to fibre its like sitting in front of your own Gaming PC without having to spend the £100’s building it – cutting the expensive gaming PC requirement out of the equation would probably make a number of people get their own headset providing they can continue to cut down on the latency

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Problem is latency - if movement doesn't happen with a few ms of you moving your head, you begin to feel very sick indeed. A cloud based solution would make that much worse!

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yep.

The minimum systems requirements for such a setup (cloud-based VR) will have to include plastic sheeting for the room you want to try it in!

I'm (right now) not a big fan of VR; I want to test it out (for more than five or ten minutes) but it needs to drop in price considerably before I'm willing to accept the cost of entry.

I will probably try to convince my boss that an OSVR or PSVR (once/if PC drivers are solid) is worth a test for visualisation in the not-too-distant future. But time will tell on that front.