1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Ryzen processors, boasts of Intel-beating performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Dec 2016.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Indeed. The Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium is £325, so I'd imagine this will be much of a muchness in terms of price.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Copypasta'd from other thread -

Well according to Guru3d the RyZen R7 [8c/16t] prices are as follows...

1800X [Boots Freq ~4GHz] - €599.99 [~£511]
    1700X [~3.8GHz] - €469.99 [~£400]
    1700 [~3.7GHz] - €389.95 [~£332]

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I just saw this on OC3D and posted this:

Well if these prices are accurate then you are looking at around £550 to £650 by the time the retailers have added there chunk on to it for the top of the line cpu.

That doesn't however take in to account if there is anything else to add on such as VAT etc which just bumps up the price even more.

I really was hoping that the top end cpu was going to come in around the same price as a 7700K to really kick, Intel in the ass if they perform as well as claimed.

Going to keep an eye on the prices and performance but looking at it, it looks my plans for my tax rebate this year are still on for the Vive rather than thinking about a cpu swap.

4. RedFlames

The Prices include VAT @21% [Spanish rate, vs 20% here] according to the article.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

True but I am thinking about how the uk government likes to shaft shoppers with tax.

6. RedFlames

If any shaft is going on it'll be retailers trying the early adopter/hype gouge.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you get bet 2 northern based etailers will ramp prices based upon hype from day 0

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, especially if these chips aren't available in huge quantities... I remember these guys taking the pee with 20% price gouges when Skylake (iirc) launched but availability was severely limited for the first month or two.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

599 euro becomes £599 in a straight swap. Your talking nearly double the price for 300mhz on the cpu? Something does not add up with that.

Either the base clocks are heavily reduced and even via overclocking you wont get 4ghz all cores on the lower end chip. Or your missing out on something critical?

As nobody would pay double for 300mhz

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm assuming that the X suffix must denote something significant, but allegedly all Ryzen CPUs will be unlocked so it doesn't seem be the AMD equivalent of Intel's K suffix. But there must be something significant to differentiate the 1700 and 1700X because a 20% price increase for a bump from 3.7Ghz to 3.8GHz looks like the worst deal ever :)

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The cheaper one may be multi locked but FSB unlocked. After all, AMD did not specify what exactly was unlocked.

I would imagine the expensive one all but overclocks itself to the limit. Might have more cache, etc.

12. Vault-Tec

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

So, per that link, the 1700 is 65W and the 1700X is 95W. Wonder what the difference is down to? Could it be that the non-X has a lesser (or no) IGPU? Would be pretty odd if that was the case, but I'm struggling to see where the extra 30W comes from for a 0.1GHz speed bump.

Also wondering what "WOF" and "PIB" stand for. Any takers?

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

NONE of the AM4 CPU's launched now has IGP. My guess would be X models are unlocked.

WOF = Without fan (as in cooler?). "PIB" (Wraith Packaged In Bundle) models have the wraith cooler in that picture.

15. Vault-Tec

Nope but then none of Intel's X99 CPUs have it either.

If you are "in" for this round then you were contemplating X99 IMO. This is the high end.

Apparently AMD will be releasing APUs come September time.

It is probably down to how much they boost out of the box dude. For example I just gave away a Xeon that was rated at 60w max. It pulled around 6w idle and 9w during usual desktop use. I struggled to make it pull 60 even with Prime 95. However, that had set boosts.

Apparently Ryzen detects what board you have and how good your cooler is and then boosts itself to attain the best clocks. However, that may be on X models only.

I would imagine that people who do not like to overclock will go for the models that boost the highest, leaving the enthusiasts to wring the 1700 as hard as they can manually?

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Vault-Tec: i was reacting to bawjaws :).

17. Vault-Tec

Oh. That will be me and context again :D

You could be right there on the cooler part.

As for unlocked? AMD claimed they are all unlocked. However, they did not specify whether they were all multi unlocked. So they could be doing something like they did with the Phenom 2 X6 where the multi was locked on the cheaper 1055T leaving you to rag on the bus.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Cool, thanks for both of those pieces of information :)

Still struggling to see how you get a near 50% increase in TDP between the 1700 and 1700X even if the X model is multiplier-unlocked - surely the TDP is based on "stock" (boost) clocks, so it just seems like there must be some reason why there's such a difference in TDP when the clocks are so close.

VT - Might mean that the 1700 is a bit of a lemon in comparison with the 1700X though, if it doesn't boost as easily/frequently (even if the boost frequency of 3.7GHz is only slightly lower than the 1700X's 3.8GHz). As with everything Ryzen, we'll just have to wait and see how these bad boys perform in the wild :)

19. Vault-Tec

BJ yeah if my hunch is correct and multi/bus clocking then it could be like the 1055T which could only really do around 3.6ghz on every chip. Unless of course you had a really good one, then you could do 3.7+.

The 1090T though could usually do 4ghz all day long.

Also, if the "X" is anything to go by then it may mean extreme, meaning it could boost to buggery and beyond? It may also mean the multi is fully unlocked..

I still think the 1700 will be the enthusiast chip to have. Max perf for minimum dorrar.

Going back to the hike in TDP. These are 8 core CPUS with HT (kinda sorta) so as soon as they start to rise in clocks the power use will change fast.

Here, just as an example to that.

I just gave away a 60w Ivy 8c 16t Xeon, rated for 60w. It ran full pelt at 2ghz. That was all 8 cores and 16 threads boogieing on down in Prime 95.

My new Xeon which is absolutely identical (same cores, same threads) pulls 130w. It only clocks to 3.2ghz on all 8 cores. Now whilst 1.2ghz was a massive rise in clock speeds for me it is a bit of a piggy when it comes to the TDP.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The thing that doesn't add up to me is that the 1700 allegedly boosts from 3.3GHz to 3.7GHz and the 1700X from 3.4GHz to 3.8GHz, but the 1700X has a 95W TDP and the 1700 only 65W. It seems like a lot of extra power for not very much more in the way of clock speed - an extra 100MHz (both base clock and boost) for almost 50% greater TDP? I know these things aren't linear but that seems like a disproportionate increase in TDP.

Even if the X has an unlocked multiplier then surely the TDP would be based on the "stock" base and boost multi?