1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Ryzen processors, boasts of Intel-beating performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Dec 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Huh - that's strange. I'm seeing some sources say XFR is X-only, and others that it's on all three. There's still nowt on AMD's desktop processors site to clarify matters, either.

Looks like it's still up in the air whether it'll be me or Ending Credits who has to splash out £5 to charity, then!

EDIT:
    You sure about that, Matt? NewEgg says the 1700X has XFR and the 1700 doesn't. Overclockers concurs, specifically stating "X Version with automatic XFR overclocking" on the 1700X page and leaving it off the 1700 page. If that's not the case, then AMD has really screwed up the messaging to retailers - and so close to launch, too.

EDIT EDIT:
    Nup, looks like either the engineering team got it wrong or there's been a miscommunication: AMD's own Ryzen pre-order page clearly says "Extended Frequency Range (XFR) in the presence of better cooling" for the 1800X and 1700X but not for the 1700. A winner is (still) me!

Last edited: 23 Feb 2017
  3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

If I understand correctly, there are three core frequency states (possibly only two on non "X" chips): base speed, turbocore and XFR.

Is the turbocore speed locked for any given processor?

Edit: I think I found the answer. Is it true that turbocore will be limited up to a certain speed (<4GHz), and to go faster you need XFR (and therefore possibly an "X" CPU)?

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

The problem is I am restricted in what I can say. The info in Lisa Su's speech is all we've been able to publish. There's much more, and I have valid reasons for my statement, but given the mixed messaging elsewhere it's obviously something they've dropped the ball on a bit. We will clarify in the launch articles on the 2nd.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well done, AMD. Pre-orders open and a week 'til shipping and you're telling retailers the wrong thing. Well, I guess they had to screw something up - and it's better that it's the documentation than the silicon!

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Scan have a couple of Ryzen pre-built systems listed. Interestingly, the 1700 (non X) is listed as "professionally overclocked" to 3.8GHz whilst the 1700X & 1800X are both "professionally overclocked" to 4GHz.

If we're talking boost speeds then that's an increase of 100MHz for the 1700 and no increase at all for the 1700X & 1800X. :confused:

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen

7. Vault-Tec

Looking at the price of the 1700? that's probably about the limit. There has to be a reason why it is £165 or so cheaper than the 1800x.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, I agree. My first thought was a limitation/frequency ceiling due to no XFR but given what Dogbert has said, there must be more to it.

Any thoughts on what's going on with the "overclocked" speeds of the 1700X & 1800X Scan systems?

9. Vault-Tec

Yup. They are probably just using what AMD have given them as a marketing tool.

Drunkenmaster made a post yesterday saying that 99% of people don't overclock their rig. That is why OCUK sell OCed bundles (he didn't say that part). But yeah, it's just marketing really.

Selling air again.

10. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

They are likely referring to fixed, "all-core" overclocks.

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Ah, ok. Cheers.

I think I'll wait until March when all will become clear. :)

12. Vault-Tec

OK so without poking you, putting you under a spotlight and dripping water on your head it would seem they are using a similar "not exactly the truth" method Intel use on their turbo boosts.

Example - my 2680 V2 is sold as a 3.5ghz CPU. Only when you have it in the flesh do you realise that's one core and all 8 run at 300mhz less.

So Scan are simply propping the CPU up to the stated speeds by overclocking. Makes sense. Still charging for air though :D

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Scans pre Overclockers bundles usually work out £30 cheaper for a warranty lol

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Now it appears X=XFR has been ruled out could it indicate per core OC'ing?

Based on screenshots of AMD's Ryzen master OC software we can set different OC's, voltage, and disable individual cores so could non-X chip be restricted to a single setting across all cores, while X chips allow per core tweaking and the disabling of cores?

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Do we have any idea on pci-e lanes?

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Is It just me or has pc component prices really gone crazy. Scan want £131 for 16gb ddr 4 are they crazy.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IIRC they all have 24 x3 lanes.

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

RAM/SSD shortage. Prices are rising since Sept/Oct last year.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I heard DDR4 price rises were because smartphone are gobbling up the supply.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Same with NAND - demand, largely from increasing smartphone storage, is outstripping supply.