1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Philips Moda 245C7QJSB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 23 Feb 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Last edited: 24 Feb 2017
  2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

General question...

Why are seemingly all monitor designs losing their wall mounts?

3. Dogbert666

4 of the last 6 screens we've reviewed have wall mounts, so I'm not sure that's strictly true. Small sample size, admittedly, but still.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The "every sacrifice is worth it to make the device another 1mm thinner" approach to product design copied from Apple in full swing...

5. Dogbert666

It's not as if Philips and AOC don't have a wide variety of screens with all different specs including wall mounting.

6. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

No vesa mount, fixed 60hz and slow response makes it an expensive automatic fail for me personally, and no doubt many others.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What's the point of a small bezel when you can't mount it on a stand?

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

2.5mm bezels eh? I think that 2.5mm is only 22% of the actual 'bezel'.

Is 'in-panel black matrix border' a term Phillips has made up? As the only google hits on it come back to this page, or Phillips press releases. You talk about it having 'just' 9mm black borders inside the bezel? 9mm of dead space between the usable area and the bezel?

That's terrible, I don't think I've used a desktop display like that in years.

So this display actually has 11.5mm bezels, which even compared to other Phillips displays isn't good. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/B00ZKPB8XS And compared to other displays optimised for multi-monitor setups is dreadful.

I believe this display with it's 2.5mm 'bezels' has been engineered to hoodwink reviews and customers into not understanding their made up 'black matrix border' term and to be swayed into focussing on the 2.5mm figure and never mention the 11.5mm figure.

Basically you say this display and it's thin bezels would make it suitable for multi monitor setups. It has poor adjustability, no vesa and would give you at least 22mm borders between displays.

Your overall message on this display is that's it's a fairly good IPS display that's priced for the styling and narrow bezels making it suitable for multi monitor setups.

I think this is one of those VERY rare times when BT needs to review the findings and conclusions and give this display a fair comparison to genuinely narrow bezel displays that have true 'display to edge' distances less than half of this display.

Edit: Well done for the super speed edit on the article.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2017
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You speak the truth. You can actually see the dead space between the panel and the plastic surround in the last image on the first page:

[​IMG]

Anyone buying this display in the hopes of near-seamless multi-monitor gaming is going to be very, very disappointed. You can pick up the 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2414H for £220 and that has a border just 6.05mm thick on the top and sides (though thicker at the bottom) and you can VESA mount it.

10. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

So...what screens are recommended for hardcore gamers..?

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Three of those then please.

12. Dogbert666

Some good points well made here guys - thanks for the feedback. I admit to some oversight on my part here, and I've added the following update to the conclusion:

Update 24/02/2017: Following user feedback in the comments, we've amended the first paragraph on the first page and the final paragraph on this page to reflect the fact that the bezels are not as thin as they may first seem and thus not as ideal for multi-monitor setups as we initially implied. We stand by our overall conclusion as it now stands, but apologise for this oversight and will endeavour to do broader research to better contextualise future monitors we review.

To me, even with the additional 9mm, the bezels still look thin, and I'd be happy to use this panel in a multi-monitor setup. However, I acknowledge that this is likely due to all the screens I use on a day-to-day basis (test rig monitors, dual screens at home, and laptop) having traditional, relatively thick plastic bezels. I'm still somewhat new to monitor reviews; they're not my usual gig, but as I said I'll try to ensure I research a wider variety of screens for future reviews.

Also interesting how many of you are into wall-mounting/monitor stands. Good to know :)

Guinevere likes this.
  13. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes, a picture with the monitor ON would have clarified this easily :D

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Speaking as a journo wot also does photography, taking a picture of a backlit LCD display is an absolute pain in the harris - which is why most review sites either don't bother (like here) or fake it (like when you see places like Expert Reviews and their logo is on the monitor - that's just a quick Photochop job.)

It's doable, as in here and here, but takes a fair bit of faffin' and a wodge of post-production work. You can also end up with ugly-as-sin moire patterns everywhere, as in this shot.

Tags: Add Tags