1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Sealed Watercooler Lifespan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilgoth89, 22 Feb 2017.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

basically i have pulled a sealed watercooler ( H70 ) from my backup rig ( that hasnt been turned on in a fair while ) and i wondered if it is still good ?
    the unit powers on ( as far as i can tell, and the sound of water flushing can be heard ( as well as sloshing when moving the rad ) but its running outside a system currently for testing and hasnt seen any 'heat' thus far

i heard that the fluid can separate in these units and ruin the pump somewhere, or that it evaporates through the tubes and thus the lifespan is limited so i figured id hand the question over to you folks

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The evaporation is negligible, my brother has an original h50 still running in a rig, must be getting on for 10 years old. As long as there's not significant noise coming from the pump I'm sure it will be fine.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would imagine if anything separates it would mix up again when you start the cooler?

What's the worst that could happen? your CPU overheats and the rig shuts itself down.

I've never seen one of those coolers (it's the bendy straw tube one yeah?) leak.

4. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

So if sealed coolers last so long, why are you meant to bleed custom loops every 6-12 months?

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Because custom loops don't use antifreeze mix.

Jimmy6 likes this.
  6. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Didn't know that!

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Also, who doesn't take their PC apart in a year to clean it and/or change and part?? Come on, we are enthusiasts. ;)

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I would guess it's because sealed watercoolers are protected from containments during production and then permanently hermetically sealed, whereas custom loops aren't.