1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

2nd march before official benches are launched.

2. gupsterg

gupsterg What's a Dremel?

Liking the CH6 :) , had nice experience with Asus mobos. Like the nice meaty VRM HS with HP :) defo could use the AM3 holes to reuse the TR Archon SB-E ;) . Like also the voltage read out points by the ATX connector. After noting the slot in I/O wondering if and when a ALPHA version or "one above" board is released.

Wasn't gonna go Ryzen, but seriously tempted to flog i5 and go Ryzen :) .

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm not sure where the AM3 = AM4 info is coming from, but it's not correct. AM4 requires a new mounting system, and Gareth wrote about it relatively recently. Many of the big cooler companies have said that they will provide mounting hardware for free if you already own one of their coolers and want to use it with an AM4 build.

4. gupsterg

Never said AM3 = AM4 ;) .

Info is in:-

a) this OC3D article heading AM3/AM4 Cooler Support ;) .

b) video linked by Vault Tec post 305 ;) .

Yep exploring this, contacted TR this week :) , waiting on response ;) .

Last edited: 26 Feb 2017
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just be clear on something - counting phases doesn't equal quality or power provision. Different grade MOSFETs provide different amperage's, and it's down to the whole package and PCB design, as well as including things like OTT/OCP/OVP which some (cheaper) boards often don't have to save cost.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Do not get why the OCUK teams GTA5 benchmark is been shot down so much across the web. It shows what we all expected. It's like one of the most popular pc games and has huge sales. If a game can not use more than 4 cores Intel would win.

The only thing that benchmark lacks is if the 1700 they used could go above 4ghz as that could get the minimums which are below 30fps above that level.

7. gupsterg

Personally I think CH6 has ample VRM :) .

Looks like 12 phases to CPU, dual phase RAM. Which is 2 more CPU phases than Crosshair V Formula Z, so should be more than ample IMO. Unsure if there is a 12 phase voltage control chip on market, so reckon some doubling maybe going on. NexFET are by Ti IIRC, been used on various ROG boards, do not think there is uncertainty about quality of VRM IMO.

Doesn't seem MSI on the X370 xPower have gone as nuts on VRM. Asrock X370 Taichi/Fatal1ty are doing a 16 phase 60A setup, which seems way over kill but could be cool running :) . Gigabyte X370 gaming 5 / 7 come across as same VRM for each board 10 CPU phases.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Of course GTA V has strong single core performance - the game is nearly 4 years old and was launched on the PS3 and Xbox 360!

RDR2 is due out later this year - and that will give a reasonable idea of how multithreaded the next GTA will be

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

From an objective point of view there was never any reason to doubt it would suck in GTAV in the first place, zero benefits in that game from going beyond four cores as has already been demonstrated with Intel chips:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968...w-review-the-new-stock-performance-champion/8

But we all know it is 100% certified pure evil to use a bench that doesn't show your favourite product in the best light:D

Next couple of weeks will be very ugly on various hardware related forums / comment sections no matter what reviewers do with Ryzen / 1080ti and the conclusions won't matter as deluded fanboys in all three camps will scream bloody murder at the slightest crumb of a dumb excuse.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

https://www.techpowerup.com/230916/pricing-of-entire-amd-ryzen-lineup-revealed

Supposed pricing of the entire line up.

Yeah I know about phases man. I did a lot of reading/watching when I got my MSI BBXPII and they said that once you reached a certain point it made no difference. The board I bought was like 24 phases or something ridiculous like that and my RIVE beat it for overclocking.

However, as we have seen with the FX CPUs there is a limit to how much you can get away with. 6 phases were the minimum for the FX8 and would usually get you to around 4.4-4.6 on an 8 core. 8 phases would get you to 5ghz. In fact, all of the recommended boards for the Centurion were all 8 phases or more.

4 phases could barely keep a 8320 at stock and needed cooling. Without the cooling they would just throttle like mad.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Red dead redemption 2 will not see a pc release at last check. So how will that give us a idea of multithreaded performance. The first game never came to PC would be quiet suprised to see the second. One of those console exclusives we never get.

GTA5 for pc is built from the ground up for PC, it's why it scales so well across gpu hardware.

For Honor would be interesting to see ( benchmark wise) seems quiet taxing, as does ghost recon wildlands. Wonder if any site will use them.

Or if we will get the same old benches.

They should really test each graphics engine. UE4, UE3, frostbite, cryengine ect.

Would let us see which engine offers multithreaded scaling.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea that's why you had to pay attention to the approved CPU lists on FX. The leak over a certain voltage was insane and some people measured pulling over 600 watt with the 9000s through 4+8-pin (that are only rated to 450W). They are in.sane. No wonder boards blew. You simply should not OC on the low-end boards, even though they are compatible. But the cheap boards blow. They don't have OCP.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Rockstar said they built it from ground up. Considering it has close to 0 launch issues I am inclined to believe them.

Depends on how long the exclusive deals are for Red Dead Redemtion 2. GTA5 was effectively 2 years. We will be on the next version of Ryzen before we see RDR2 is a personal oppinion.

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It is in no way 'easy' to do no matter how early you make the decision "I want to use at least 16 threads".
    There are only so many ways you can split a problem before most of your threads are spinning doing nothing because they rely on the results of other threads completing. E.g: can't start generating draw calls for characters until you know the actor and bone positions, can't compute bone positions until you know character states, can't know character states until AI has completed, etc. And the more you split things into separate threads (e.g. "hey, why not give every AI actor their own thread?") the more you end up encountering states that aren't as independent as they first appear, and need to wait for other tasks to complete ("why did all three of my AI actors all decide to throw a grenade onto the same spot at the same time... oh").
    And many tasks just have to proceed in a linear fashion. "The task of bringing a baby to term will take 9 months, regardless of the number of women employed".

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

No it wasn't - it took 2 years after the original console release and a year after the xbox one / PS4 release for it to show up on pc

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Tbh it was irresponsible of AMD to release a 220W TDP monster to the general public in the first place, there is a good reason Intel only trusts people with up to 165W TDP Cpus (and those are locked down Xeons, so OCing is off the table anyway).

18. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Going to wait for the reviews and maybe see what Ryzen R5 has to offer.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ah - my bad, didn't realise the CH6 had support for both AM3 and AM4 (very clever of them to integrate it in such a way).

Also, I was in touch with Thermalright ages ago and they got back to me pretty quickly; the part itself is free but they will ask you to pay for the shipping.

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I shouldn't laugh , but wccftech are reporting forum posts on ocuk as being the truth....