1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

A VR-compatible mouse would be buzzwording. A VR-compatible PSU makes sense; It's in the line of dependency as a certain amount of wattage is required to power the minimum specs

2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Classifying "minimum specs" around something like VR is tricky.

For example, Nvidia's Geforce Experience says my GPU (a GTX 780) is "Not ready for VR gaming" and has a definitive "computer says no" exclamation mark icon as its "VIRTUAL REALITY" status.

However, a friend of mine runs Oculus (and Vive I think) on his 780 just fine.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They've made the same promise in the past, for several years now. VR has yet to be properly implemented.
    It's GearVR only.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Anyone actually got/use a Gear VR?

Work bought me an S7 so thinking if its worth splashing the £45 or whatever they cost on ebay to play about.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I tried one at a car show a couple years ago. It was pretty good, but had a "honeycomb" grid appearance, like looking through a screen door.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Tried them at various demos (10-15 minute length), but do not own one myself.

Pros:
    - High angular resolution
    - Low-persistance display driving (beats Cardboard into a cocked hat, Daydream now matches this)
    - Lightweight
    - Best software backing of the various mobile VR solutions (Daydream is coming up fast though)
    - Cheap (once you have the phone
    - Lens distance adjustment (useful if you wear glasses)

Cons:
    - Panel fill-factor is average, does not match the Rift or even Vive. Fill factor about the same as DK2, but the higher resolution means it looks better than DK2.
    - Little ventilation, can steam up easily.
    - Top strap removed in latest revision, so ski-goggle straps only
    - No hand controller included by default
    - No IPD adjustment (an issue with all HMD 'docks' for phones)

For £45 and you already have the phone it's worth it.

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

edzieba, my ee contact as expired (but ongoing with no change or contact to me but what ever).

Do you have any thoughts on the S8? I could go that for minimal payment for contact renewal I guess.

Id like to have it (VR) available at my desk to show data presentation.
    I actually bought Calcflow (oculus home) but not tried yet, do we know if there are any virtual desktop type apps or apps helpful for math / data heavy presentations?

Pretty noob question, is the gear vr market big for games / apps, I take it just because its available for rift does not mean it works for gear vr.

Ill look into this myself, but thoughts on S8?

S8 a huge upgrade in VR experience over S7?

Further Reading Clicky:

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The S8 is great for VR. I wouldn't buy it as a phone for daily use, but I wouldn't use anything other than a Nexus or Pixel anyway so that's just me.

Datavis doesn't seem very popular on GearVR, likely because of the lack of position tracking or other inputs for manipulation (no handheld controller by default).

GearVR market is pretty huge due to the install base, but because a smartphone is involved people expect software prices to be bargain-basement, so you mostly get bite-sized games/apps.

There appear to be a few 'virtual desktop' setups available for GearVR, e.g, though I have not used any of them.

9. TeleKomune1

TeleKomune1 What's a Dremel?

I want to be super hype and into VR, but I just can't see myself doing it and it being the goto mainstream until it's PC affordable and has a lot more content.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's not going to be mainsteam until it's cheaper, more ubiquitous, and mass-marketed.
    Take the iPhone for example: PDAs with WAN connections had been around for well over a decade and did all the things the first gen iPhone did, and more (remember, at launch the iPhone had no ability to run applications. Nor the ability to copy-and-paste). But it nonetheless drove the Smartphone market from "some businesspeople or techies have these" to "it is unusual not to have one of these" in under a decade.
    The VR of today is like the 2G iPhone: not everyone wants one but many do, others can't 'see the point', functionally similar to existing devices (though in the case of the Rift and Vive, massively cheaper than any functionally comparable device by one to two orders of magnitude), with lots of room for improvements.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

https://www.techpowerup.com/230987/...ion-over-zenimax-vr-code-used-in-its-products

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Of that $500m, $450m was for using footage from Doom 3 BFG and using the Doom 3 BFG name, and for the NDA. $50m was for the supposed copyright infringement, but no actual copied code was found. Instead, there was only 'non-literal copying', or finding that code was not the same but did the same tasks in the same order. Carmack describes it in his own words, and you can read more on the 'AFC test' itself. Groklaw have an excellent example of the AFC test in application, and how easily it can be abused.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That may well be true, but Zenimax doesn't see it that way:

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just read on Twitter that Vive's "Tracker" will be available for dev purchase from 27th March, price $99.99

Also, the "Deluxe Audio Strap" addon will be available to pre-order from 2nd May, again priced at $99.99, for expected delivery sometime in June.

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

first real weekend of "pure vr", and smashed it. iracing, asseto, dead and buried, Arizona sunshine.

Arizona sunshine horde single player is quite interesting,

You have a number of zombies that start to make their way to you, with you starting with one decent hand gun and plenty of ammo, the game quite quickly turns hectic and the result is that 8 rounds in you are dead swamped wondering how the fck that happened, but this is not the interesting aspect.

At the end of the game as handy and Bruce lee as you maybe in your room scale pumping off rounds with either hand, magnum / glock (pk?)

You look up at the all time score boards and see scores like 55k (not 108, 8rds) and you have WORKED to live that long.

I am impressed with oculus ability to deliver the impression of being there,

There will be times when you will want to witness how awesome some one was in VR, not sure when or how that will be but truly Id really like to see the replay or play out the leader board persons from Amazonia sunshine single player horde that hit these stupid round counts. how in the heck?

tech note: Right touch controller battery burnt out first, which makes sense, the battery's last a decent 5weeks or so with now and then use. stock up on 8x AA battery's.

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Replays are the only reasonable way at the moment, if you want to view from within VR also. 360 video sucks all around, and Lightfield rendering has storage and processing overheads that make less sense than just re-rendering your real-time engine in real-time.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

AMD's "Capsaicin & Cream" stream yesterday was 99% VR-centric.

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Wow Oculus nice mail merge... have a year to use a fat $50 store credit, this will create a few threads on reddit

[​IMG]

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Got a couple of Deepoon E2s in my list on Ebay. Coming in at around £200. 1080p Samsung OLED and apparently runs as a DK2. So you get full Steam VR etc.

Gotta say, it's getting hard to ignore at that price. I might just end up ordering one. Already got the software and drivers etc and a guide on how to do it, 'cause the web site is in Chinese and Engrish at best.

Edit. I assume a Titan XM OC to 1414 would be enough yes?

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hmm I can get a DK2 for £150. Does it still function fully guys? I would rather go with that if I will get the full experience out of it :)

Edit. Did some quick checking and it seems it does work. I put in an offer of £140 which to my surprise was accepted. Will pay for that later.

Do the motion controls work with it? should I get some? they are an additional £70.

Will fire up the Titan XM rig shortly and do some benchmarks etc to see how it will perform.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2017