1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Deepoon E2 only works with an old Oculus SDK version (0.8), and has no position tracking.
    Garbage knockoff, don't waste your money.
    Still functions, but official support for new Oculus SDK versions ceased as of the start of this year, so there's no guarantee that will continue. Either way, you will have a smaller available tracking volume (cannot use the Constellation cameras), and no way to add Touch (wireless receiver is within the Rift itself, same as the Vive).

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'm fine with that. TBH even if I get the experience and only use it for a couple of weeks I'm down.

It's got to be better than the phone thing I bought and then found out my phone overheated in a minute or so. I ordered the DK2 with the motion camera.

Honestly I am like a kid at Christmas. So excited :D

Just ran all of the benchmarks, apparently my rig kicks ass. So I should get a nice smooth experience too.

One thing I did want to ask about. Does any one know of a desktop VR breakout box that I can put on my desk and plug into my rig to extend it out? I know you can get like a front panel box but my rig doesn't have any bays at all.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Basically just jump on Elite Dangerous - its worth it just for that.

4. Vault-Tec

Wicked man ! seriously I am so excited I could wet myself. Finally VR for a reasonable "sneak it past the lady" price.

Got myself a tidy stand thing too.

[​IMG]

And will likely use the pink Beats with it too, given they are noise cancelling and this rig sounds like merry hell.

Couldn't find a breakout box sadly. However I did find this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142148948704?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Which I will probably buy and then knock up a case out of acrylic and some plastic weld.

I really can't remember the last time I was this excited about PC hardware. Trust me to do it on Ryzen launch day when every one is cooing over that :D

5. Parge

Just so you're aware, I don't think you can use any old HDMI cable. :thumb:

6. Vault-Tec

Oh OK. Well thankfully the rig I am using is literally right next to me and the back is 45' so it's easy to get to.

7. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Not long had a vive and love it. The whole immersion is what does it. Yes the res is rubbish but I can live with it.

As parge said above, elite dangerous is amazing and I spend 90% of my vr time playing it.

8. Vault-Tec

I've never played ED before. It's really not my sort of game either but I will give it a try :)

I'm scared of flying so I don't, so those things where you fly over like New York and what not look awesome.

Stupid question.. Do you have to stand up? or can you sit comfortably and still use it?

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Spending £140 for the DK2 for elite dangerous is well worth it imo.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2017
  10. Parge

In elite, its all seated.

You can stand up and walk around in some games, but most of them also involve the use of Oculus touch,so with your DK2 you won't really be required to.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The front panel box in a basic case (e.g. an external 5.25" caddy with a hole in the back) would be the cheapest option.
    The Vive 'Link Box' I know can be used with the Rift CV1 as an extender, but I don't know of anyone that has tried it with a DK2 (will likely, work, but I can't guarantee it). A more elegant solution, but like the other Vive accessories HTC will happily charge you an arm a leg, and any other appendages they can get their hands on for it (£41 shipped), and do not even do the courtesy of including an AC adapter (you will need a 12VDC psu, with a centre-positive 3.5mm x 1.35mm barrel connector)!

12. Vault-Tec

Jesus man, that takes the pee a little. I'll see how I get on. Glad I don't have to stand up (thanks Parge) because I'm kinda clumsy at the best of times and wearing a headset I could cause untold damage in here lol.

So I've been watching a couple of videos. I need the SDK and an exe set up file (on wrong computer atm so don't have them to hand). What do I do with the SDK? I can't recall seeing a set up file in there?

The headset itself should arrive today.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2017
  13. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

Let me know how you get on with the new toy Vault Tec. I'm debating getting either a Rift or Vive for sim games. I've got ED but haven't really had the time to get into it. I loved Freelancer / X / Elite (on Amiga!) back in the day. I mostly play DCS World - does anyone have any experience with it? I've got a TrackIR and it's great, but I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket that needs spending before it goes on the kids....
    Would you recommend Rift or Vive, or wait until the next gen (whenever that may be)?

14. Vault-Tec

I worry about Rift really. With all of the news and bad press it's been getting recently. Lawsuits etc.

If I were spending top dollar I would probably get the Vive.

15. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Honestly, if you are planning on getting VR purely for sim racing/ flying I would suggest the Rift over the Vive. Purely because the Vive's additional base station and controllers would be wasted. The Rift just got a price cut too, so the basic Rift headset and single camera it comes with would work fine for sims

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It would, except you can't buy that any more. The 'price cut' isn't really a price cut, at least in the UK: instead, you're paying the same £598 you were before the 'cut' but getting the Touch Controllers free.

17. Vault-Tec

Ooo tell me more ! which racing games are good with VR?

Also. Can some one tell me exactly what I need to download to get it running with a brief how to please?

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

You could always resell the Touch controllers (and/or the extra camera too) and make some of that back. 'Standalone' Rift bundles made their way to some retailers here too, so old stock of those may still be hanging around and might be discounted further to clear.
    Amazon still have the Rift standalone in stock at the moment for £499.

19. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Wow, didn't know that. I had checked amazon, but not the oculus store directly. Personally not a fan of the move myself.

20. Vault-Tec

This. It's here guys, I just need to know what I need to download.