1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and AM4 Platform Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 2 Mar 2017.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Wouldn't that require me to be an UK citizen ? Also by purple, i meant purple is what you get when you mix red or blue.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so where does the green team come into it?

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm team spendophobe and like to get the best bang for my buck for my needs (gaming, a bit of tip-e-typery, a bit of photoshop... the usual stuff).

This CPU is definitely not for me. :(

Come on AMD. Give us another Tbird AXIA!

4. flipman

flipman What's a Dremel?

Correct me if I am wrong or just looking at the wrong stuff, but in full system power draw at stock, the Ryzen 7 1800x platform used 220 watts and the i7 6900k platform used 187 watts. Is this correct ?

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You're reading it correct.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Taking apart an IDE cable to harvest thin wire for the purpose of wrapping it around pins on the CPU Cheesecake.

Now that was proper fun, not this newfangled pay the K series tax for unlocked multi BS.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

A man after my own heart. :)

(I never owned an AXIA btw, although several friends did. I did a similar wire trick though, to get a Tualatin P3 to run in my CUSL2 iirc. Good times.)

8. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

Damn it, I remember doing this now :/ there are people leaving school so weren't even born at that point

9. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

I must be the only one disconcerted at seeing mainly intel lan chipsets...

On the other hand, I see this as a great start for AMD, after they iron a few bugs out, they'll once again prove to be a truly viable, competitive option. Not that intel won't swat them down once again I'm sure.

10. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Intel LAN chips are pretty much the standard at this point, even my Crosshair V has an Intel NIC in because it just performs better than most competitors, until you get into something crazy expensive like the Killer NIC stuff that is meant to perform a lot better in theory.

Still waiting to see if anyone sits down and really analyses the data out of Ryzen, from what i've seen there's a 20% performance variance across reviews, which is a huge margin of error to be working out performance in, so something must be up with either the review gear or the software running on it.

11. faugusztin

Would you prefer Realtek (LOL) or Killer NIC (double LOL) ? Intel NIC is the top tier ethernet chip, just because you are on AMD you don't have to have non-Intel NIC.
    Or are you "disconcerted" also when you see Realtek (sound, sometimes ethernet), ASMedia (USB, sometimes SATA), Texas Instrument (Super I/O) or Winbond (Super I/O) ?
    NIC from Intel is just a highend choice, it is a separate hardware on Intel boards too.

There were lots of BIOS updates changing results dramatically. Hell, the board i ordered had 3 BIOS updates in last 3 weeks, two of them in last 8 days.

12. faugusztin

-- delete

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Apparently it's BIOS issues.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Thought it was SMT issues?

15. Vault-Tec

I thought that was a separate issue?

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Asus boards are seeming to be very problematic at this point - the board of choice currently is Gigabyte (and asrock if you can find one)

17. faugusztin

Considering ASUS was the only one actually available to me, i had no choice :p.
    ( https://www.caseking.de/en/cat/index/sCategory/138069 are the only boards available to me, as in Slovakia we have only B350 boards so far, and the only X370 at stock even at Caseking is the ASUS one).

18. Vault-Tec

Biostar have just shown shots of their first ITX board. Looks a bit tacky, but hey, it's coming.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...vealed_their_first_mini-itx_am4_motherboard/1

From what I have seen the gaming performance is down to SMT not being supported properly (and AMD have said so, and promised to work with devs, Bethesda are the first...) and the different performance in reviews etc was down to bioses.

It's early days, and this always happens no matter who you are. Hopefully they can get them all sorted out before the 1700 reviews.

Personally though I would not be too worried. I don't want bleeding edge game performance any way.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

UEFI issue and SMT are 2 separate ones . The UEFI problem is IHV specific (and shoddy work from Asus)

20. Vault-Tec

Yupper, I thought so.

Tags: Add Tags