1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I recommend Fandango. It's really REALLY good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089126/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_48

2. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

3. afrasiab

afrasiab What's a Dremel?

I watched Secret Window quite good movie starring Johnny Depp

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Passengers.
    7/10
    Twas a'right. Standard sci-fi fare. A bit of wooden acting, decent CG and not so bad story. Kept my attention.

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Imperium - 7/10... Actually, 7.5/10

Harry Potter infiltrates Neo-Nazi groups to stop a race-war starting plot involving radioactive stuff.

Actually quite like Radcliffe as an actor, but as talented as he is, I can't quite buy him as either an FBI agent, nor a convincing skin head. But there was some good tension-building, almost-blown cover moments, some surprisingly fair representation of extreme right wing groups (as utterly nuts as they ALL are, they aren't all beer drinking, knuckle-dragging punks) and Toni Colette is always pretty good.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Suicide Squad - extended cut 7/10

It's been receiving really low scores everywhere, so I went in expecting the worst, but really, as someone who doesn't know the comics (and therefore 3/4`s of the characters) it wasn't bad.
    Especially compared to the X-Men films, this one isn't as confusing.
    Sure it's a silly, straightforward story, but hey, it's a comic, there's a lot of boom bang and a lot of humour in it.
    And a mighty fine Joker, talk about stepping in big steps.

I don't know if it was down to this beeing the extended cut, but it was a bit long...ish in the first hour or so, then again, I wouldn't throw anything out.

7. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Almost completely agreed. First good X-men film is pushing it a bit (I really like First Class and Days of Future Past) but it is easily the best film in the franchise, and possibly the best thing with a Marvel logo on the front of it.
    It feels character driven, rather than story driven like every other Marvel offering (not that I'm saying it's a bad thing), and it shines on account of it.
    It also furthers the fact that Patrick Stewart is clearly a national treasure.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dr Strange: Meh/10

Kind of interesting concept and good end twist, but poorly cast, overly trying to be Inception but way more confusing CG and just really weak character development shoehorned into 90 minutes.

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Okay, First Class was quite good. Days of Future Past was absolutely dreadful though.

I have to admit I quite like the first X-Men movie, as cheesy as it is. :blush:

On a side note I really wish I could afford to see Stewart of McKellen starring in a Shakespeare play.

10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Logan 8.5/10

Really darn good, though I did feel it was a little long if I'm to complain about anything. Jackman and Stewart gave great performances which contrast from their previous X-Men work quite a bit. The whole feel of the film is utterly different to the rest of the X-Men movies, and isn't for the faint hearted. Worth a watch regardless of how you feel about anything X-Men related, my missus had never seen any of them and thoroughly enjoyed it.

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Logan - 8/10
    Was great seeing the personal aspect of these 2 characters rather than their abilities, really touched me when Logan called in dad. I have gripes with the how it ends but I'm glad they got a touching send off.

Kong - 8/10
    Having disliked the King Kong from years ago I was excited for this..... I was not disappointed, loved the cast so much, looking forward to the inevitable King Kong Vs Godzilla!

12. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Agreed on both films - with a couple of caveats:-

Logan - for once it wasn't about saving the world/humanity/timeline, it was simply about saving themselves. Plus it did actually end.

Kong - The 1933 version was the best version ('76 was just silly especially with the long shots done with a man in a suit), I liked bits of PJ's 2005 effort but Jack Black is just too irritating and the sequence with the dino stampede was Keystone Cops (showing my age here) slapstick and kinda spoiled the experience for me. This version was spot on for me, if I had to slap a marketing buzz label on it I suppose the best one I've seen so far is its Apocalypse Kong. Oh and there is an end credits sequence - which I found out about after I'd seen it... :duh:

BTW, saw Logan in 2D and Kong in Imax, in my opinion that's the way to see them. I doubt Logan would benefit from an Imax screening but it really is the only way to see Kong.

On a separate note, there was an Imax ad for Dunkirk with brought a lump to my throat. Hearing the Spitfires zing about in full Imax audio was thrilling, the best I've ever heard a Merlin engine. Mind you my father in law was a Spitfire pilot in 602 squadron during the war and my uncle survived Dunkirk so I might be a bit biased here. :thumb:

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Just booked tickets to see Kong with my dad and my bro... Imax 3D baby. Can't wait! :)

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Captain Fantastic - 7.5/10

Pfff, I really don't know hot to rate this one.
    It's pretty, well acted, with a good story. It's the content that I have problems with.
    I'm probably not American enough to understand this movie, I just don't know what to think of these (fictitious) people.

I suppose the point that I am thinking about it several days after seeing it makes it a rather good movie.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Assassin's Creed - 5/10

Admittedly, I expected less from the film. I expected more Uwe Boll Calibre.
    The film looks great. The acting is stale, the story is (obviously) nothing new.
    There's good bits of fan service throughout (though the screeching when "leap-of-faith-ing" was underplayed)... ultimately, a bit meh, though.

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

John Wick 2 - 7/10

Love how this world and its characters are developing and it's definitely setup for a 3rd which I also look forward too. Great action scenes and visuals.

Logan - 10/10

Simply stunning. From the opening scene setting the tone to the heartfelt end scenes it's well balanced, adult, brutal, dark and different. Acting from all involved is bang on, script, visuals, action and story all top notch. See it now. I might see it again.

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

It's been a while, so naturally I've watched a few things these past few months:

Doctor Strange - 7/10

Of course the movie is helped tremendously by Benedict Cumberbatch being Cumberbatchy, but I like it a lot actually. It's pretty standard superhero stuff, but the visuals are top-notch.

Passengers - 8/10

It's good. It takes it's time to build up; steadily driving in the feeling of loneliness and desperation before picking up the pace.

Vaiana (Moana) - 8/10

It's Disney so it was always going to be good; those guys know what they are doing. The kids love it of course, even though it hasn't been released in norwegian yet. And The Rock can sing - who knew!

Arrival - 9/10

Brilliant!

The Expanse - season 1 (rewatch) - 9/10

I can't bring myself to grant it a full 10, but damn: this is the best sci-fi show to go on the air in years! And again; Thomas Jane's portrayal of detective Miller is just "out of this world". As one who has read all the books; I cannot recommend this enough!

The Expanse - season 2 - episodes 1-7 - 9/10

Finally gunnery sargeant "Bobbie" is with us! I thought the actress was a bit too pretty at first, but she's certainly grown into the role very well. Tension is building, and the series is still brilliant. Here is me hoping that the show gets renewed again and again!

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - 8/10

It's a refreshing return to the magical world of J.K Rowling. It's fun, quirky and tailored for a more "grown up" audience. Looking forward to the next installments. It certainly seems like everything that woman touches turns to gold. Keep it up.

Assasins Creed - 5/10

Well, it wasn't bad - which was unexpected. It wasn't "WOW" levels of good, but not bad. Worth a watch actually - if it's sunday, and it's raining.

Edit: Also; not sure how I feel about this: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292

Last edited: 15 Mar 2017
  18. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Get Out - 7/10

Very well acted and shot, with a good script - so it's already better than 95% of horror thrillers released in the past 5 years.

Problem is, it suffers from some of the worst predictability I've ever witnessed. I literally called every play before it happened, there were no twists or surprises.

Still, it was a fun watch, and I don't resent the £17 it cost for me and the missus to see it at the cinema (which is more than can be said for a lot of movies).

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

It certainly is!
    Well, the belters were always a strange bunch. It was always the ones on the lower rungs on the social ladder that were sent out to mine the belt - they are miners, and they are disgruntled (with good reason I might add). Their language evolved into a more or less common patois (belter creole) that both sets them apart from the inners, but also helps give them identity. I for one thinks it works very well both in the show, as well as in the books. I am particularly happy that they did not subtitle the belters.