1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 8 Mar 2017.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hurrah. Yes, definitely seems this is the one to have :)

3. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Reading this makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
    Now I'm even more anxious to receive mine, but I was dumb enough to order the Gigabyte Aorus board - which isn't in stock until the 10th apparently. Which means I will not get it until tuesday next week at the earliest since mail delivery during the weekends was stopped last year. I'll be sitting over here in this corner biting my nails until then...

4. Combatus

Board stock levels are poor across the...board :) Even system builders are having a tough time at the moment.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its like having an Opty 144 all over again

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Lovely (Insert mandatory "I see what you did there" comment).

I just went onto Komplett's web-pages to check the status on my order; they have updated the delivery time to: 10th of March - unconfirmed.

*The biting of nails intensifies*

7. Combatus

I barely have anything to review either. WIth the Z270 launch, I was swimming in boards. This time, I can count the samples on one hand with digits to spare.

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Great review :) Yes it definitely looks like the 1700 has 'lucked out' wrt the binning process.

And as a side note, as you point out in the intro, an 8c16t 65W TDP CPU seems a pretty good achievement IMO.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And when the board is available, UPS is slow to deliver (my case) :rolleyes:

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

It does indeed.
    I'm hoping I get it before spring sets in; we're currently having negative temperatures which means my tank of coolant sits just below zero at the moment. Really anxious to see how the 1700 fares under such conditions. :geek:

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Poor indeed, scan, overclockers, ebuyer, ccl and aria have a combined grand total of zero x370 boards in stock.

Even in America it isn't much better, newegg who is the unchallenged global leader in being able to get stock only has one single X370 model in stock and three B350 ones.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Makes you wondered if some issues were found with early BIOS and manufacturers have held them back.

13. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I wonder if this was AMD not being able to provide enough chipsets to the manufactures, or the manufactures just not producing many boards in fear of another Bulldozer flop?

Or

*dons conspiracy hat*

Maaaaaybe there is plenty of boards out there in back rooms, but the retailers are artificially restricting access to them to bump the prices???

14. Combatus

I dare say that has got something to do with it, especially as CPU samples are readily available.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Quick question: was your review chip bought retail by yourselves or supplied by AMD? I'm not suggesting any shenanigans but we've all seen cherry-picked components supplied for review whilst the off-the-shelf items are somewhat of a lottery.

Just seems a bit odd that your 1700 oc's to a higher frequency than your 1800X, but I guess we'll see if that pattern holds as more and more folks get their hands on retail parts and crank them up to the max :D

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I had high hopes for the 1700, and looks like the one to get - as things progress, apps and games are going to utilise more cores/threads - it's nice to see AMD back in competition.

If I was in the market for an upgrade, I'd be looking at a Ryzen 1700 above all else.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Between reports of some Asus boards bricking themselves due to a bios issue, MSI and ASRock having to release updates to even get CPU multiplier selection to work and the issues with Ram speeds that caused tons of reviews to only use 2133 plus reports of massive stability issues with all four Ram slots filled it wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers are only drip feeding the market on purpose to avoid destroying their reputation while working on the bios quality behind the doors.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2017
  18. Combatus

Sounds like we had it easy with our memory issues and a few random failed boots then :)

19. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Please about that. At last there's a worthy boot up the Intel's arse, some real competition.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

This is some serious trolling by the UPS. I got the CPU (1700), the cooler (NH-D15 SE-AM4), the SSD (1TB MX300), GPU (GT 710 PCI-E x1 - yes it is a server, so even this is an overkill for a text console, but at least it only eats one x1 lane)... Meanwhile UPS failed to deliver the board 2 days in row.

I hope they are not going to try to deliver between 10:00 and 12:30, when i will have to be at work :D.

Tags: Add Tags