1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

related - if i earned enough to warrant paying tax on it i'd be ecstatic... but i'm not and that's what's ruining my life... everything else traces back to this...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, but not for anyone who set up a limited company in order to reduce their tax burdens through dividends 'cos that's going from a £5K limit to £2K. I'm not affected, 'cos I'm a sole trader and just pay Income Tax and Class 4 NI on my income, but I know plenty of other freelancers who are fuming right now.
    Ah, perspective. Somewhere else there's probably a millionaire talking about how unfair it is they've had to pay capital gains tax on the sale of a mansion.

3. RedFlames

Sorry... wasn't trying to one-up you or anything... just seeing the comments on the rise just hammers home how [relatively speaking] screwed i am...

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This maybe for some but like the so called national living wage for every £1 extra in the wage packet the government will take 75% in lost benefits etc which means for the most part people are no better off and in many cases they will be worse.

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Same here. We're so damn poor it's not funny. I can't get a job yet because our middle child requires extra care and our youngest isn't in school yet. "Why not get childcare?" I'd use all my damn money that I'd earn on the childcare. We need an extra bedroom and houses to rent in our area are stupidly expensive and we can't afford it. If we need a three bedroom house, we'd literally have to get a council house; we've been on the list for years and we've never come close to getting anything. We just about afford the rent, bills and food. We can't afford days out, or extra things.

I've always got a bloody backache because our mattress is 10 years old nearly and we haven't got the money to buy a new one.

Our Tumble Drier is about to pack up and we can't replace that either.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It definitely sucks, but that's the kind of stuff you have to be prepared for when you take that route. I was self-employed in the construction industry for 8 years, came crashing to an end in the 2010 financial crisis (much like the construction industry as a whole...). I had to default on accounts, spent the following 3-4 years playing catch-up with my tax coding, struggled to get finance on my car, had my overdraft taken away etc. I know how quickly the actions of others can cause pain. :grr:

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Azure AD and MS support.

EDIT: 1 and half hours bounced around with no support in sight:wallbash:

Last edited: 8 Mar 2017
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This probably ties in with the revised IR35 rules which seem to be trying to squeeze even more out of self-employed contractors/freelancers. Contractors are apparently leaving the public sector in droves.

Though IR35 is probably a hell of a lot easier for you, being a filthy freelancer 'an all.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I must confess, I have no idea about IR35; I chickened out of all that a long time ago and pay an accountant to worry about these things for me!

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh I'd definitely do the same if I went limited - I'd much rather pay someone to worry about accounts than risk getting it wrong!

IR35, from what I understand, in a nutshell: If a contractor is indistinguishable from a regular employee then they will be taxed in the same way as a regular employee, and HMRC can claim back-taxes on payments already made. It usually comes down to a test of the work they're contracted to do and the benefits they get: do they get sick/holiday pay; do they have the right to have someone else do the work on their behalf (not applicable in all cases); are they there for a specific short-term piece of work or a more long-term process; etc.

The guv'mint is shifting the responsibility for checking IR35 compliance from HMRC to the agency, public body, or company in question. Apparently public services are being extremely heavy handed about it and contractors ain't happy. HMRC have, helpfully, put out a "calculator" to help the assessment process, but in many cases it classifies many people with "Unable to determine the tax status". So isn't really all that helpful.

11. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

Probably work-life balance for me. Work's just a bummer man, it takes up a huge chunk of my daily life.

12. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Procrastination.

The worst thing isn't even missing deadlines, stress, disappointing others and failing classes at uni but the fact that I'm not even having fun while procrastinating. You often see posts/comics with "lol I just watched netflix all day instead of working lmao" but I often replace stuff I don't want to do with stuff I don't get any enjoyment from either. I'm procrastinating things I want to do like watch movies (watching Solaris has been on my to-do list of the week for the last 8 months).

Good thing my breathing and heartrate are at least taken care of by my subconscious, if they were on the same schedule as the rest I'm supposed to be working on I'd be pushing up the daisies.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Gout, in my foot.

It never normally lasts this long, it's got to be nearly 2 weeks now.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have just liked up the definition of gout as if was something I had heard of but had no idea,what it was. It was a bit of an eye opener as for some years I have been complaining of a pain in my left toe.
    It gas fir the most part been ignored or told that I had cut my toenail incorrectly. As this pain is sporadic it was a reasonable diagnosis but I wonder if gout is something to consider?

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I get it around the toe joints, usually my big toe but sometimes it spreads further along my foot. It only happens once every couple of months or so; sometimes it's not so bad, but sometimes it's so incredibly painful that I can't put any weight on it at all. What's not helping matters is wearing heavy motorcycle boots and the fact that my bike's gear lever sits at exactly the most painful point on my foot. Every time I change up I get a little twinge of pain (although that "little twinge" was "excruciating pain" two weeks ago).

The last time I got pain like this a friend suggested it might be gout a while back. I went to the doc about it nearly 2 weeks ago and they had to take a blood test to confirm (to test uric acid levels in my blood), but it is indeed gout.

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I think I am going to get a rather "nice" bill from VW to fix my Mk7 Golf R after it has a disagreement with its coolant...

Long story short is my Wife was on her way back from a SAP course in Newbury when the car decided it would relieve itself all over the A303. After limping it to a nearby services and calling VW assist it turns out a stone/rock/honey badger has cracked one of the radiators behind the front bumper (On the side in front of the wheel arch). She was a little shook up as one moment the car was fine and the next warning lights were going off all over the dash.

This area has no protection at all from impacts which seems like a design flaw - no grills to protect the radiator fins from any impacts.

Now I am waiting on a call from VW to go and discuss what needs to be done to fix the car and how much it will cost.

All in the same month my Car insurance, tax and VW assist are due for renewal... *yay*

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

There are loads of reports of stones cracking the aircon reservoir on VAG cars - again, there's no protection behind the grille to prevent foreign objects from penetrating and doing damage. A simple bit of mesh or net would suffice, you'd imagine, but that's a corner that VAG have cut.

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Common on a lot of cars that.

Big problem on the Nissan Juke due to its stupid bumper.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I would very much like to meet the person at work who decided that the local "My Documents" folder should now live on the network instead of the local drive. I would like to meet that person, shake their hand, and then punch their stupid smug face. I would also remind them that they have to have the infrastructure to support such an asinine setup, that such setups don't work very well if your network & VPN infrastructure is so cripplingly slow that it takes 30 ****ING MINUTES TO OPEN A 30KB ****ING WORD DOCUMENT.

20. RedFlames

So you'd like to politely shake the IT gremlin responsible by the face until he/she/it goes blue?