1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 3 Mar 2017.

1. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Got my Switch on Saturday an been playing BOTW in the evenings once baby has gone to bed.

Just got off the Great Plateau. Been great so far, exploring the world, climbing, hunting, cooking. I'm really liking this new version of Zelda. No more hearts found under rocks or in grass > if you want to survive you need to scavenge and cook to get those hearts up.

Also traveling to an objective and seeing something awesome and going to explore that instead, climbing around looking for secrets and loot. A lot of my time will be sunk into this game.

Stumbling across how to get across the snow mountains was a brilliant "aha I need to do that" moment. Really enjoyable so far, and I have barely scratched the surface.

The Shrine puzzles feel a bit like Portal chambers, which are a nice change of pace from the rest of the game so far.

Figuring out the best tactics to kill enemies can also be fun - do i sneak up and kill them silently, run in all swords & arrows blazing or use that big rock on top of the mountain which will set off the explosive fire bins and blast them all into smithereens.

Great fun!

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've been playing this most of today (when I should have been working).

I'm finding it just incredible. I've never played anything that felt like such an adventure. Everywhere I go I'm taking screenshots and just having the time of my gaming life.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I think it would be great for her! It will probably be a game she remembers for a very long time :) Also it has some puzzles that are pretty hard, so you can 'help' ;)

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Kinda taken by suprise this game , didnt think much about the last 2 zelda games. Think alot of reviews are comparing it to witcher and skyrim but It reminds me a heck of of red dead redemtion, which kinda suprises me.

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Just got past the first Divine Beast; this game is just getting better the more I play it.

6. Porkins' Wingman

This engine needs using for a Hobbit/LotR game.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Finally got a chance to dig out and hook up the Wii U again. First impressions from a sort playthrough:
    - Ugh, I'd kind of forgotten that aliasing exists
    - Shaders are lovely. Nintendo always seem to be excellent at lightweight lighting and reflection algorithms (check link's active blurred and distorted reflection when running past 'wet' walls)
    - Massive environments with extremely high draw distances populated densely with simple objects remain visually far more impressive than extremely high-detail enclosed environments, outside of VR (where pixel density limits and local parallax skews things the other way for now)

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yep, when you are used to playing on decent power machines the Wii just doesn't cut it and comparatively LoZ doesn't look amazing either but when you pop it on the portable screen opinions change a little, it seems more impressive, that is what'll make it good, get it on Switch, I use to play old playstation stuff on the Vita for that reason as with big HDTVs etc that stuff started to look quite ropey, on the Vita, it was great, same game just smaller screen, smaller pixels.

9. Porkins' Wingman

I think if you're basing opinions on the visuals, as compared to PC visuals, you're kind of missing the point of this game.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'm basing my options of the visuals on the visuals. My opinions of the game itself need more than the 15-20 minutes I had available (first tower and dungeon/trial/thing only).

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not really, it’s just a reality in the age of large HD screens that anything running non native is quite unimpressive to look at, same goes for playing PS3 games which are at a similar level or exceed this, sure it does not impact gameplay, but things like the jaggies from aliasing are just amplified, it feels like going back a few generations whereas on the small portable screen they look great.

12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Playing it on 120" pj ere and play pc,ps4 and xbone games on it. BotW looks great. But yeah if i was comparing skyrim from my pc to skyrim on the switch thered be noticable diffrances.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Very late to the party, but finished this today. I'm left disappointed. The opening half to the game was amazing (Eastern half of the map, zora and Goran regions), but it seems like the second act was empty and lacking. There were vast swathes of map that was largely pointless, you just had to spend an hour running round it to find 1 measly shrine that'd take 2 mins to beat. I think more of an effort could have been made to pull you into areas, through side quests or whatever, rather than just 'you must cover every inch of earth because open world'. The northwest region in particular was as barren as the atacama. It's as though they built it up in a chronological order as how they'd play it, but got bored towards the end or ran out of time.

I miss proper temples, the shrines were mostly too easy once you'd figured the mechanics and over too quickly. The crafting system makes you mostly invisible with an infinite supply of health, along with stamina and money. The controls can absolutely go f themselves in the arse with a cricket bat handle, whoever decided the button configs should have daily flogging (and whoever did the button naming also needs shooting). It was a great game till I got half decent gear, could just smash through everything and got bored of repeating myself.

Zelda: Assassins Cry/10