1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 8 Mar 2017.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If it wasn't for stock and early adopter issues it wouldn't even be a competition, but a bloodbath at the expense of Intel.

1800x with a 4.2Ghz guaranteed OC + High end Asus X370 board + 16GB DDR4 + AIO cooler?

£1019.99

The "competing" Intel i7 6900k?

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I just can't overlook the fact that these first gen Ryzen's are such poor overclockers compared to Skylake i5 & i7's.

...I might consider moving to Ryzen if they ever get them to at least 4.5Ghz on air...but not until.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yes, but remember that every Core i7 CPU is kissed by a virgin mermaid from Middle Earth. That sort of accolade doesn't come cheap.

4. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

I so want to make a little handbrake box with this.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Why are you comparing an 8/16 CPU with 4/4, 4/8 CPU's ? Meanwhile everyone is ok with 4.3GHz on 8-core Broadwell-E. Double standards.

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Now there's a question to be asking :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

I've been trying to work out quite how people have been comparing them tbh :duh:

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

You think the R5's will be able to reach 4.5Ghz on air?

...because I don't.

I'd love to be proved wrong though, and if they did, I'd get an R5 1600X without thinking about it.

..but I just don't think these first gen chips have it in them.

8. faugusztin

That still doesn't mean you are fine comparing R7 with mainstream i7. Based on number of cores and performance, you should compare it's overclockability to enthusiast i7 too.

And even then, does that clock really matter ? Even at it's base clock R7 CPU's are beasts.
    Sure if you are a pure gamer, who needs to run his 5 year old single to dual thread badly coded games at 144FPS+, then yes, go for the i7-7700K.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

So, for gaming (which appearently doesn't benefit from the high core/thread count) less faster core are interesting...
    Oh am I looking forward to the Ryzen 5 tests...the 200$ Ryzen 5 1400X is clocked higher than the 1700 from this test :D

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

For me it really matters, I'm heavily into running emulators where single core performance and clockspeed is everything.

If Ryzens could reach 4.5Ghz they'd be competitive enough with Kaby Lakes for emulation, not quite as fast but good enough.

..at 4Ghz, which seems to be the limit for these first gen chips, they're not quite good enough.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Each have there own needs, if your work stack wants high single threaded performance the Intel chips are still a easy choice to make.

12. No1Spank

No1Spank What's a Dremel?

I've been reading a few reviews and the 1700 seems to be more of a gamble than the other two Ryzen CPU's. The sample in this review was a good one but most of the other reviewers struggle to get to 4ghz and they have to use more voltage to do it than with a 1700X or 1800X both of which seem to be fairly consistent with everyone.

I opted for the 1700X and looking at the data that is now around I think I made the best choice for me as I am into benchmarking overclocked systems.

If I was a gamer though I would go for the i5 7600K all day long.

13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Looks like you may have to re-run the benches all over again care of Microsoft Antony...

14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Is Microsoft Antony a bit like Microsoft Bob?

15. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Same. I'm currently running a 4670k so not in dire need of an upgrade but it sure would be nice. Not sure I can justify ryzen yet but we'll see what the 6 core chips bring. I do fancy something new.

16. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

The pedantic is strong in this one :rolleyes: :hehe:

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

*pedantry

;)

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

FFS!
    Just checked the update on my order.
    Now they say - still unconfirmed - that the Gigabyte board will not be in stock until the 18th!

The slow descent into madness has begun...

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Right there with you, ASRock Taichi ordered with no date when it will arrive...

Although maybe it is for the best, just look what they are doing with the Bios still:

20. faugusztin

Meanwhile on ASUS PRIME-X370 PRO the IOMMU menu option is not where the manual describes it :D (it is actually in AMD CBS menu, not CPU Configuration as the manual says).

Tags: Add Tags