1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I've got a blower GPU so that's sorted, just need to decide between the NH-U9S and NH-D9L. There seems to be almost nothing between them, but the U9S looks a bit better imo. I might go down the AIO route at some point in the future, however.

Cheers for the input, Tom. :thumb:

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

My first look at this thread. I've got a M1 with AIO on the CPU. Its a tight fit, but the temps are great (delidded 7700k).

No GPU at this time. Hoping to buy a hybrid vega when the time is right.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I also used an AIO in the M1 (now using the Dan A4). If I were to go for air in the M1, I'd probably go for the NH-D9L, to aid in exhausting hot air rather than just blowing it around inside the case. Pointing the exhaust at the top or the rear would depend on other component placement (e.g. the HDD cage if present). You can also use a short flex riser (e.g. the HD-Plex one) to move the GPU down one slot. This places its intake closer to the bottom vents (less recirculation), and gives you more room for cable routing under the PSU, as well as more fan intake relief if you have a tower CPU cooler pointing up a the top vent.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Anything that would make you pick the NH-D9L over the NH-U9S, edzieba? I've been looking at reviews and the two coolers seems to be pretty much identical in terms of performance (some reviews giving the U9S the edge and some the D9L).

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The NH-D9l has the fan in the centre rather than on one 'side', so the heatsink can be physically closer to another object without blocking the fan intake (e.g. facing 'down' with the GPU in the normal location). It also has a little 'spill' along the underside, which helps move air across the motherboard without adding any case fans.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2017
  6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Got an Antec Cube, the Razer thingamajigger, and it's SERIOUSLY nice, as it should be for the price. Got a nice little 4670k setup waiting for a 4690k sitting here on Ubuntu 16.04. Needs a dual boot with windows, seriously.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Submitting mine, largeish ITX 19.5L internal volume. Calling shenanigans on Noctuas claim of 100% ram clearance though

Fractual Cre 500

[​IMG]

Messy but works, ill sort the cabling at some point, do I bin off the rear CPU fan or the rear case fan? They are a bit too close
    [​IMG]

Enermax 92mm fan for reference, no way itll fit to the front.
    [​IMG]

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Current state of the Dan A4. Still to do: swap NH-L9i for LP53 with the Noctua fan, geta Mini-Fit Jr crimper and neaten cables, get a larger SFX PSU (maybe SX800-Lti for maximum overkill) ready for the 1080Ti.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ooh, love an A4 build. Very nice. Minimal cable spaghetti, too - good job.

Is that a POST speaker hanging about above the PCIE slot in the second picture? :D

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

IIRC, Noctua demonstrated RAM clearance in push/pull config with one of their 14mm thick NF-A9x14 fans strapped to the other side. I don't think they claimed 100% clearance with two 25mm thick fans.

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Edz, that's a lovely M1 errr...A4 build; I really like those NVTTM reference coolers.
    Are you running a 600W Silverstone SFX in there?
    Interested to see how the LP53 pans out, I have just bought a C7 from Parge for my Parvum ITX, which seems a bit bulky a couple of years on...

Last edited: 6 Mar 2017
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Tis an A4, not an M1! :D

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Dan case looks great Ed :)

Shakmods make cables to length too, so if you order a bigger PSU you could talk to them. They charged me about £80 IIRC to do a full set for my Silverstone :)

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's the not-well-regarded Silverstone 450W Gold SFX (only in there as a stopgap while waiting for newer units to release).
    I'll probably shorten the cables myself. £80 should buy at least a half-decent crimper (if I was in the US there's a stonking deal on the official Molex crimper, but the seller won't ship internationally), and the PP05-E already has nice silicone insulated wires (and I'd only have to re-crimp one end). Kind of tempted to completely re-wire anyway to get the 'standard' colour-for-voltage wiring rather than all black, and make up a cable lacing loom to turn it into a proper wiring harness.

15. Arboreal

The shame of it! :blush: Not spotting an A4 out there, first one I've seen if that's any excuse... *cough*My own ITX thread*cough*

Even more impressive then :rock:, all that crammed in there beautifully.

Thanks edz, that generation all look v similar; you could do worse than your Silverstone 450 SFX though. It's only relatively recently that we've had more choice of decent SFX PSUs other than Silverstone's.

Really is interesting to see what can be (relatively easily) put into an 'unfeasibly small' case, SFF has truly come of age.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The SFF community are going to hear about this...... :hehe:

17. Arboreal

Eeeek, they'll be wanting me to hand my card in.

I've shut & bolted the doors, :worried: and am peeping out of the window looking out for a (small) angry crowd with pitchforks and blazing torches :eeek:

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I just went back to mATX, again. :D

[​IMG]

I do have a very good reason for it though

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Heathen! Infidel! Unbeliever!

Did you nab one of the preproduction Kimera Cerberuses?

20. Arboreal

I agree with Edz, you'll be ITxcommunicated unless you have a very good reason for getting a board with more lots and not using them fully & appropriately :D