1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 1440p Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IronDoc, 12 Mar 2017.

1. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Hi,

No longer up to speed on hardware, could use some advice about what the sweet spot is for mid-range monitors.

Size: 27 - 32
    Resolution: 1440p
    Budget: £200 - £400 (willing to spend a bit more if it means a lot better value)
    Uses: Gaming, movies, general browsing

Other:
    Don't want a TN panel. I'm not super up to speed on MVA vs IPS, as MVA didn't exist when I last looked at this stuff. From what I can tell, IPS is still significantly better, but I'm happy to be told otherwise.

Not bothered about super high refresh rate, or response time.

My desk is quite deep, so I'm actually ok with a relatively low DPI. I believe my current monitor (P2214H) has 96 DPI, and I'd like a bit less than this.

Help appreciated, cheers :thumb:

2. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I recently bought an Acer BE270U for £370 and while it isn't marketed as a gaming monitor I think it's brilliant for the balance that it offers in terms of 27", 1440p, 6ms and 75Hz. It also has freesync which if you are running AMD is helpful for the more demanding games.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W9S97AA&opt=ABU&sel=MTO

70hz over the DP. Has Freesync, and you can use Nvidia Adaptive Vsync globally to get your free Nvidia sync.

For the coin you will not find a better monitor IMO. I know because I spent about a month deliberating before buying the older version (same screen B&O audio).

Edit. It seems HP have pushed it to 75hz, fair play for that.

4. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

^ That's a great find!

5. Vault-Tec

It's a great monitor tbh. I have the slightly older one with the speakers etc and it has loads of inputs too. Overall the quality is fantastic. Same panel as a BenQ that costs over £500.

I really shouldn't know all of that but I spent longer than any one really should when buying it, because I sort of rushed into buying my old 4k Acer without spending weeks doing research.

At that price there is nothing to touch it. Not with that size/feature set. The speakers in mine sound good too. No bass whatsoever so I just bought an old Bose sub in mint condition and added that into the mix.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

What about the panel type.... says WVA+ - what is that?

Also, I don't think Nvidia Adaptive Vsync could actually be described as 'free gsync'. It is vastly inferior.

That envy is beautifully made regardless.

7. Vault-Tec

I see absolutely no difference between Adaptive Vsync and Gsync and I have had both. As much as I would love to say Gsync is mind blowing and totally worth the £100 tax I just can't. I used it for over a year and thought going to a "normal" monitor was going to be really painful as I had convinced myself I couldn't live without it. Then some one says "just enable active vsync globally" and tbh it was back to business as normal.

Seriously I just don't understand what it is that makes Gsync so much better. Please note the emphasis. Gsync may well be better for X Y or Z reasons but I tell you what fella I'll be screwed if I know what those differences are, what they do, and what difference they make.

I know that Nvidia made a lot of noise over Adaptive Vsync when they developed it. Then all of a sudden they go very quiet and it's "hey look at this Gsync module for £200 it's acebest".

However, you ask them to tell you how it works? they pucker up like a duck's arse.

As I say, I can't tell any difference. At all. I get no tearing, gaming is as smooth as butter and all is good in the world without Gsync.

Freesync? yeah, wasn't very impressed with that. Had to enable Vsync in most games as it simply wasn't working.

Not sure what the WVA+ thing is either. Mine is IPS and I was certain that they had not made any changes other than removing the speakers/sponsor. Mine is Bang and Olufsen, the one before it was Beats, but they're all pretty much the same.

https://www.askdavetaylor.com/what_do_xga_sxga_wva_and_wide_angle_mean/

Apparently WVA+ is something to do with the res. The screen itself? as I say, mine is IPS and I didn't know they had made any changes at all. The Omen sports 75hz, which tbh I could probably get out of mine if I wanted to mess around :)

Ooo the plot thickens !

My monitor (when I bought it) was said to be IPS. Apparently some one asked HP what WVA+ was and they went very quiet. Now they are all listed as WVA+ (wide viewing angle+) which apparently is "not quite IPS".

It's the best panel I have in my house though.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2017
  8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Apparently the HP uses a VA panel, which I'd not heard of before, but is supposed to be somewhere between TA and IPS in terms of quality.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

VA, MVA and PLS are all effectively IPS, the reason for the different names is down to legal issues over who has to pay who to be allowed to call what IPS.

10. Vault-Tec

That explains a lot. Mine was listed and sold as IPS (B&O version) but was the same panel they used in the Beats By Dre version which was also listed as IPS. All of a sudden they have stopped calling it that, but I am like 99.9% sure that it's the same screen just in a different frame without any audio sponsor nor speakers.

In fairness it is cheaper, though.

I've had mine side by side with an Acer 4k TN and a Hanspree 24" 1080p TN and the difference is night and day.

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Stupidly tempted by that Omen, you'll be on an AMD GPU won't you VT, I'm still rocking my old GTX 780 which i'll need to upgrade to be able to run 1440p @ 75hz, although I think I'd still be able to run rocket league at 75hz @ 1440p, just not sure if the monitor will like the nvidia card ?

12. Vault-Tec

I've actually got mine on a Fury X, Titan X(M) and GTX 950 mate. Over DP I can run it all day at 70hz on both, but on HDMI I have to set the Vsync to 59hz or it black screens.

I use Adaptive Vsync globally on the two Nvids and I have had no issues at all. Just that odd 59hz thing but you should definitely use the DP if you can as Freesync won't work on HDMI if you switch to an AMD.

Just looked and the GTX 780 has DP so you should be good to go dude. As I said, just enable Adaptive Vsync globally and you're laughing. Oh, and you can DSR to 4k too if you are running something well made :)

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Sweet cheers man. Just pulled the trigger on it, totalled £347.87 including the 3 year pickup and returns service, not sure if that's worth owt but it was cheap enough and means i'm not responsible for posting it.

Forgot my account was linked to my mate that worked at HP so it automatically added some discount, winner.

14. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

15. Vault-Tec

Awesome. I got mine from John Lewis. First one turned up with gouges in the screen that were not done by me because the paper cover was in perfect condition so it was like that when they applied it. Sods.

Any way, JL collected it and delivered the replacement on the same day.

16. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Delivery coming tomorrow (tuesday), excited is an understatement.

17. Vault-Tec

18. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Runs beautifully at 60hz, 75hz on the nvidia card gives frame skipping. Just waiting to see if vega is any good when it's released and I'll buy one. But for now I'm more than happy at 60hz in 1440p, so much screen real estate :D

19. Vault-Tec

Awesome :) is that over the displayport?

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Aye, loads of people reporting the same issue with nvidia cards. It doesn't bother me in the slightest as I'm overdue an upgrade anyway. The 780 has served me very well, so it can continue to serve me well at 60hz until vega, I will then upgrade and enjoy 75hz with buttery smooth freesync.

Love the monitor though, cheers for the recommendation! Plus with the £40+ discount I got at HP it was an even better steal.