1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Quadcopter/Drone/Multirotor Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 4 Mar 2017.

1. BrokenJaw

BrokenJaw What's a Dremel?

Calling it a dog's breakfast is a bit harsh. That's quite a standard look for these types of quads (just look at Creative's wall of quads above). Sticking on a plastic body shell does nothing but add weight. Unnecessary weight means shorter flight times.

2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I fly drones for a living. I'm a PfCO holder, having completed the RPQ-s course and writing my OSC etc. I also fly as a hobby in down time too. One thing I haven't tried yet is flying the 250 class racing drones. I really fancy making one though. I've built a few 500 class drones but they weren't made for throwing about. I started out on a £30 job so I could learn the basics and then moved up to the self build 500's, then a P3P and on to the Inspire. I'm currently looking at building a S900 or S1000, so I can carry my DSLR gear. It's a great hobby but soon turns expensive when it gets a hold of you :D

3. creative

creative 500rwhp

Do it! Its great fun!

Managed to get out this weekend for the first time in 3 weeks. Back on the bench for minor repairs! :D I also noticed some of my batteries are starting to show their age a bit so time to look up whats out there for new ones!

Hopefully for next weeks adventure I will have new hall effect gimbals in the transmitter and my Lowrider will be back together after fixing the voltage regs.

BrokenJaw

You need to get on 4s!

4. BrokenJaw

4s batteries are on my list of upgrades (along with some 30A Dshot ESCs).

I started with 3s as I had never flown anything before I built this, and all the advice I could find online said that it would make an easier learning curve (I think it has).

I'm happy to stick with 3s for now, as I'm quite tight fisted, and I don't think I've got my monies worth out of them yet (only had them about 4 months). But I've been keeping an eye on the RunCam 3 and Foxeer Box HD cams, and feel that adding one while still running 3s would make my quad feel a bit sluggish.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It was not an insult.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The I got the Eachine E010 Mini has just arrived and wow there is more to this flying lark than meets the eye. first go hit the ceiling. At the moment working my way around the flat trying not to hit the cat who is looking at this thing as something that can be killed.

7. BrokenJaw

One complaint I have read about the E010, is that the transmitter sticks can be difficult to get fine control movements on. One solution is to extend them:

[​IMG]
    https://oscarliang.com/eachine-e010-mods-1/

If you don't have access to a 3D printer, I have seen some DIY approaches that achieve the same thing.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have become aware of that but just put it down to noobie hamfistedness.

As for a 3D printer neither have nor want but I cannot see this being a major problem to surmount. A bit of Sugru and something to stick to the existing sticks.

9. creative

creative 500rwhp

I recommend DYS XSD30aV2 esc. I run them on 2 of my quads (one an spracing f3 fc and another an omnibus f4) both running Betaflight 3.1.6 and dshot600 with no issues at all.

I will also be getting a runcam3... bang for buck its looking like a great cam.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have been made aware of certain things since taking delivery of the E010.

1) You get what you pay for, the controller does not make for small adjustments so tends to go off in all directions.
    2) Furniture in a room is such a nuisance as it gets in the way of my noobie flying.
    3) I wonder if I should have gone for something a little better and therefore more expensive as I am not sure that my handling will improve much with this thing?

11. creative

creative 500rwhp

The best reason for using these is just to understand how a quad flys. Getting orientation right etc etc fortunately that little frame can be upgraded into a tiny whoop type. Problem is that you have to spend im afraid.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Except without the ability of being able to make minor adjustments unfortunately it is not in the air long enough for me to learn much.

I have no idea what a 'whoop type' is, care to enlighten?

13. creative

creative 500rwhp

and we all started like that.... just keep practicing!

A tiny Whoop is a modified inductrix similar to what you have there that started the whole micro phase. Upgrade motors, flight controller and an all in one fpv cam/vtx. They can be flown the same way as a full size quad just alot safer for inside!

https://www.tinywhoop.com/

Last edited: 15 Mar 2017
  14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So what do I need to start off with?

15. creative

creative 500rwhp

you have it already.

If you want to really get into it after flying the micro for a while I would look at getting a decent transmitter first. Something like the Frsky QX7. This can be used with pretty much every quad on the market using a frsky receiver.... From that point it basically boils down to budget!

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

You'll probably be waiting a while on the QX7, should you decide to go for it, the EU version is entirely sold out. Plus it's probably overkill for your intentions

17. Xir

Xir Modder

mine flies a bit over 5 minutes...the difficult part is NOT making it go fast, and spot landing.

I usually hover it in ground effect (enough power to lift off the ground and hang about a handwith above the ground but not to rise) and trim it to about standstill, then I fly at about eye level.
    Doesn't help that the controller doesn't show you your trimming settings though.

I can hover it pretty much for all of these 5 mins, but it does take getting used to.
    Also practising flying around obstacles slowly is a lot more difficult than you'd think.

The biggest problem is that the power you put into motion you lose on thrust, so it loses height every time you manouvre, and gains height as you start to hover again.

The minor adjustments work fine on the steering but the throttle is very sensitive.

Oh, and yes, our cat finds it....conspicuous :D

18. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

When you use traditional TX units, the sticks are usually height adjustable. The taller the sticks, the finer you can usually control. I'm not conversant with the unit you're using but can you alter the gains?

I went out yesterday for a couple of flights with the Inspire. I have to maintain at least 2 hours every quarter flight time as written in my Operations Safety Case, which at this time of the year isn't as easy as you'd think. I took some pictures in-flight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather and METAR data is looking good for a couple more flights this afternoon. I'm trying to decide to have a walk up to a local quarry, in the hope that some bikers who go there are there, or to head on to the wasteland near me. I've got a commercial job filming at our local race course this week so I want to practice some stuff before I go.

Anyone else here fly drones commercially?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2017
  19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I am a total noobie I am sorry to say I have no idea what a TX is or 'gains'?

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Is this the right thread to post this?

:lol: