1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Quadcopter/Drone/Multirotor Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 4 Mar 2017.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Sorry, TX is the transmitter (radio controller). Gains and expo allow you to fine tune how the drone handles by altering the response to the inputs you make with the sticks, it could be dampening the response or increasing it. Easiest way I can put it. If it's a basic model without a flight controller you have, you most likely won't be able to alter it.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

TX = Transmitter; Gain = basically the rate of acceleration, i.e. how far do you have to push the stick in order to make it zoom. You probably can't directly adjust the gain/rates on your transmitter, but it might have a "beginner/expert" setting which effectively does the same thing.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bit harsh, innit?!

4. BrokenJaw

BrokenJaw What's a Dremel?

I think you might be oversimplifying what's required here. The radio receiver (RX) the E010 uses isn't compatible with any 'good' transmitter.

If Kronos was to get his hands on a Frsky QX7, then he would either need to get a transmitter module for the expansion bay (not entirely sure an E010 compatable one exists), or get a Frsky RX.

Getting a RX also means he would need to replace the flight controller, as there is no way to connect an external RX.

The eachine beecore appears to be a neat little flight controller, pretty much designed as a drop in replacement for the E010, and has a built in RX. There are 3 different models to choose from:
    DSM (for Spectrum transmitters)
    Flysky
    FRsky (for use with Taranis and QX7).

However, my advice would be to persevere with the E010 as it is. Get a taster if it's something you want to get deeper into, then splash the cash on a full proper setup. Whether that be a camera platform, or a racer/freestyler.

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

Thats why I said its compatible with a frsky receiver. Again this is assuming he wants to do it beyond a micro. 2 areas in this hobby not to skimp on, thats the tx and goggles. I also didnt want to over complicate things for a beginner.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

It should have two or three sensitivity settings, i've got it on least sensitive, and it's still quite sensitive.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Lipo Charging?

I now have 2 150mAh 3.7v LiPo packs but neither seem to have a decent amount of charge after leaving them charging for an hour via USB.

The charger supposedly is ready in 50-60 mins, when the light goes off - it hasn't so far :miffed:

Annoyingly, the replacement charger has the smaller white 2 pin plug, rather than the larger on on the Eachine E010 - I'm not sure what their proper designations are.

Any thoughts on how long to leave it charging?

I'm thinking about getting an Adafruit Micro Lipo charger, as it looks to a properly set up, with a 3 step charge setup - this or something else??

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Well after a few days of playing with this I have decided it is not for me. I think for the same reason I cannot use an Xbox or PS controller I find the whole business of knowing where my thumbs should be in relation to the direction of the copter add that to the fact that it really annoys my cat.
    Thanks all for your help and advice in my thread on noobie quadrocopters.

Will bung this on the MP.

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Sorry to hear that you & Millie haven't got on with it, at least it wasn't and expensive foray into a potential new hobby...

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Quite so.

11. creative

creative 500rwhp

A quick video from last weekend. I was doing some tuning on the 210 after soft mounting the motors. Its not perfect but its getting there...

Also I finally got my lowrider built back up and thats ready to get out in the field, only issue is we are about halfway through an expected 2 weeks of rain...

12. creative

creative 500rwhp

Just finished updating my transmitter with M9 hall effect gimbals...

[​IMG]

Not completely sold on them as yet. Took a lot of adjustment to get them to feel how I like but I will see once I get in the air this week.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

If one were to be bad at controlling their spending, but lies to themselves well enough to justify a €500 budget for a potentially limited life-span purchase, where should one look for a full racer kit?

Basically, is it possible to get into this on a €500 budget (everything, quad, camera, FPV, controller, etc)?

14. creative

creative 500rwhp

yes you can but you will have to shop around. Usual site is banggood (pay for shipping ... dont go the free route!) such as the eachine wizard with a set of box goggles some batteries from hobbyking like turnigy graphines and a charger such as isdt charger ( you will need a power supply for that though) or a b6 charger

Consumables such as props are best bought in bulk and will break! I buy them 30sets (4 in a set) at a time but they do last me a while. Something like dal cyclone v2 with a 3x5x40 blade will suit most 5inch quads.

That should see you in the air. As with all things, price dictates quality but everything can be upgraded from this point if your serious. Also Shop around... I get alot of stuff from america from companies such as Team Legit or here in australia such as my local shop phaserfpv or Nextfpv

Be prepared to do a lot of reading. These things dont fly themselves and often need setting up with flight modes etc which takes an understanding of what the FC does and software it uses, such as betaflight and Blheli suite.

And once you get addicted its very easy to spend.... alot!

My average build price for just the quad is between$500 and $600aud and typically consists of, with a ballpark price:

Frame: current fave is the CraftQuad LoFlo - $195
    FC: Omnibus f4 - $50
    ESC: Dys XSD30aV2 - $90 for 4
    Motors: Im a fan of Brotherhobby t1 2205/2300kv - $100 for 4
    fpv cam: Foxeer arrow v2/3 - $50
    Vtx: I like the fx800t atm - $75
    Antenna: MenaceRc pagoda - $20
    Props: Dal Cyclone V2 3x5x40 - $5 a set

This is of course variable depending on what components used Eg, Steele motors are $160 a set or a cheap Qav 180/210 clone frame off ebay for $20.

I currently have 8 quads on my quad wall!

I use fatshark dominator V3's with the laforge diversity receivers, Menace rc pagoda antenna with VAS crosshair patch. My Tx is the Frsky Taranis x9d+ with upgrade M9 gimbals running open tx 2.2 with betaflight PID and smartaudio lua scripts. These were the big purchases but are one thing you only need to buy once and I decided very early on just to get the best at the time.

Also be prepared to crash.... alot... and break things.... alot! My best run I had in an afternoon was breaking 4 quads to various degrees including dunking one in a river but it was one of the most fun afternoons I have had flying as we were all in the same position! Its a local model railway track and everything to hit is either a tree or metal...

Last edited: 22 Mar 2017
  15. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

FPV'ing with the Rozzers

16. creative

creative 500rwhp

Another weekend of fun and destruction!

My Lowrider is awesome to fly... But I ended up upside down in the only wet part of the field! Fortunately I was able to dry it off and no component damage this time!

Also an example of a lipo failing. This wasnt plugged in and was a healthy battery until it decided to spontaneously explode whilst in hand!

[​IMG]

Overall a great weekend... and now, back to the bench!

17. Xir

Xir Modder

...I should stop storing these in their original boxes in the bookshelf :eeek:

18. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

+1 I use two of these to store all of my lipo for safe keeping in my house. http://www.bat-safe.com/web/

They are nothing to play around with. Even undamaged ones can randomly decide to go off one day.

19. creative

creative 500rwhp

The addiction never ends! :D

Due to crappy weather and not getting out to fly or anything to fix due to crashes.. I went shopping again! :D

First up is something to fly inside. I didnt want a tiny whoop with brushed motors due to the life of them and with the increase of micro quads, thankfully the choice has also improved! decided to get a 90mm frame that will do everything its bigger brothers can do!

[​IMG]

Size comparison compared to a my Low Rider....

[​IMG]

and the motors are tiny 1103/10000kv brushless units....

[​IMG]

I am having to mod it a bit to get everything to fit but its getting there. Should be fun on a 2s battery!

I also had another delivery today from CraftQuads...

[​IMG]

2 more LoFlow frames with TPU runcam3 camera mounts. I am in love with the way these frames fly so just had to get some more!

20. creative

creative 500rwhp

So good to be able to get out and fly this weekend....