1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Elgato announces Stream Deck customisable control surface

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

This is one of those things that no streamer needs, but people sponsored by Elgato will show off and people starting out will think they have to have to succeed. It's really expensive for something you could use a numberpad for and get cheaper than £10. Nice if you're lazy and made of money, a bit pointless for the rest of us.

That being said I've never been won over by Elgato. I liked when they first arrived and gave every YouTuber who asked a free cap card as long as they made a video on it, but after that all their hardware and software has been a bit meh. Personally, I use AVerMedia products, but I am aware they're not a whole lot better, especially on the Support side these days :sigh:

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Don't even need an extra device cluttering the desk and extra cable mess, Logitech G602, Corsair Scimitar Pro, Razer Naga Chroma MMO and so on to the rescue.

But in another way the keys changing what they show on that thing is useful as you could theoretically have them show different things while being used with different software, which makes it much easier to use than remembering what does what.

(of course it remains to be seen if Elgato is intelligent enough to make the software fully open so it can be used for everything and not just streaming related stuff).

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

True.

I'm not totally against this device as I'm sure some people will love it, but I think it's way too expensive, especially in the UK. Hopefully, it will spawn some competition for those who feel if they don't have one they will die (or not be able to stream).

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Wonder if it'd work as a cheap option instead of some of these pro 'control surfaces'. £120+VAT is considerably cheaper than something like this.

6. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I wonder if it's just a standard LCD on top of which is the button layout. Instead of having a whole bunch of small LCD's, probably eh.
    It seems quite responsive from a youtube I checked out. And for people who monetize youtube channels it's likely nothing to pay that money and convenient to have available, assuming it doesn't go bad quickly, and the software doesn't mess up their system.

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Cute piece of desktop bling, but I am highly skeptical of its actual utility. I mean, at least ye olde Optimus was a full keyboard.