1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Home Secretary calls for an end to encryption

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Post removed.

I have some mental health issues, yesterday was not a good day and I said some things online that I am not happy about today.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2017
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Reply removed.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2017
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yet another demonstration of someone trying to meddle in things they don't understand.

I suspect anything brought into play would miraculously exclude politicians another weasel-y types.

5. rmallen

rmallen What's a Dremel?

I'm comfortable with the government having unfettered access to all of my communication just as long as I have access to all theirs, after all we foot the bill for their activities and they are all allegedly done with our best interests at heart

6. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Once again, another MP butted on the subject she doesn't know. And neither a lot of people. It sounded good on the TV programme when she was talking tough and no doubt a lot of people would be applauding her stance. Pah, we don't need experts.

That's the crux of the problem, we have MPs meddling in things and passing laws on subject of computing and web, and they call out the IT dept for the flimsiest reasons.

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

How would it even be possible to monitor every message? There are billions sent everyday. Even a pretty clever filter algorithm would surely flag thousands of false positives.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If you know a way to do that without it also effecting innocent people I'm all ears, in fact i reckon you could make a lot of money if you knew how to decrypt messages sent and received by potential terrorists while preventing access to it from miscreants.

I'd be more worried about the billions of financial transactions carried out across the world each day.

In other news Amber Rudd is calling for a ban on all vehicles that exceed 5mph, knives, and pointed sticks. :p

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As I've said both here and elsewhere when this subject comes up,

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

IF someone was capable of achieving the second without the former they would be swimming in Bill Gates money.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe someone should show MP's how to send encrypted messages using nothing more than a few sheets of A4 and a pencil, having said that if we did they'd probably call for a ban on stationary.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

You'd probably lose them before you got to the demonstration. They have that mentality where IT is all strange and magic, thus, must be feared and regulated as strictly as possible.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Er, wut? The last serious terrorist incident was 12 years ago. And this was a nutter in a car with a knife, not an ISIS sleeper cell detonating a dirty bomb in the heart of the City.

Seems to the intelligence services are doing spectacularly well already. Let's not get hysterical.

14. FatalSyntaxError

FatalSyntaxError What's a Dremel?

This is what happens when you have people that don't understand the sector they are in charge of.

Amber Rudd has a degree in History, how that makes her even remotely qualified to be in charge of policing, national security, internal affairs, and immigration and citizenship for the UK is beyond me. The people in this position should have experience in the areas the role oversees just like any other job.

You don't hire a cleaner to be the lead surgeon in a A&E department. To be home secretary you should either be in the police, in a national security agency, or immigration. And for any field you don't have direct experience in, you refer to experts from that field to build your policy's etc on. I.E if the home secretary was a former police officer, they'd talk to a expert in immigration and citizenship before saying anything about immigration policy let alone propose changes.

Another example is George Osborne, another history graduate who was in charge of the 5th largest economy in the world. Is it any surprise that his solution to the credit crisis was start taxing baked goods and cut spending on benefits to the poorest in our society instead of taxing the rich more proportionately or getting large corporations to pay fair taxes.

Jeremy Hunt studied PPE at university. Why on earth is he the health secretary, he has no clue to the challenges the NHS faces. He just wants to save money by crippling the NHS.

The crap Amber Rudd is spouting is endemic of a larger problem. Our politicians just don't have the qualifications to be in/doing the jobs they are in.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2017
  15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What's happened to the guys phone anyhow, don't the SS have it? If so wouldn't it easier to unlock the phone and read what the message said rather than summon the heads of tech companies and demand they do something.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sometimes I just want to bang my head against the wall...

It seems to me politicians all over the western world found a new hobby in lobbying against privacy for the sake of it. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

#dumb as a stump

100% what FatalSyntaxError said.

18. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

banning encryption is like nuking a city to kill 1 person, you get the person you want but everyone else suffers in the process.

if anything like this were to even remotely pass law kiss goodbye to your identity, your bank account your pension, your business etc etc

meanwhile in terrorist land they are still using encryption because lets face it im not sure breaking that law is at the top of their concerns. alternatively they go old school and the only people who get shafted are me and you

19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Lone man drives car into group for people and stabs police officer to death:
    BLAME WHATSAPP BECAUSE HE USED WHATSAPP AND IVE HEARD OF WHATSAPP, MY KID USES IT.
    So, let's make all communications nice and easy to break into for security forces but not the similarly or better equipped bad forces, oh no. How?... Er...

...Er, wait, didn't the man in question lock his accommodation so it was difficult for us to get in and search?
    Did his accommodation not have an unlocked back door marked "security forces only"?
    No?
    We should all have one to keep us all safe. It was probably Yale's fault.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Thing is, politicians are in the business of just saying and doing things their voters want them to say and do. Recursive dumbness is dumbness squared.