1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Margo hasnt had the kit in a while Bunny has had them since last year, from what I can tell Bunny got them from margo because margo wasnt doing anything.

I have now just told bunny to sent me the parts and im going to do it myself, as I had a reply from him basicly saying its gunna be a while as theres others still waiting and hes got alot on his plate etc.

If margo had the kit i would try but as long as i get all the parts arrive i will be able to sort it myself now, should be a fun project

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've had a similar message from bunnylake saying that he's working through all the GH60 stuff first before moving onto JD40 stuff. About 2 weeks ago he said that he was basically done with the GH60 stuff but I've heard nothing since nor have I actually received anything. I wouldn't mind if he said that I would definitely have it in a month - it's just the fact that he has repeatedly said that he will get it to me in a week and then not delivered.

Edit: I've just had another message from him saying that my GH60 order is finally packaged up (yay!) but that it won't be dropped off until Friday or Monday - why the delay?!

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

This is why i have an issue. I honestly dont mind waiting and being patient, but have over the time had some messages of things like got all the parts on hand now , or similar ones of hope but i never get updates I always had to chase I understand having lots to do but i dont know why hes gone on with more buys untill all the other orders have been completed and fulfilled. Im sure if he had said to say the sophmore buy that im going to delay shipping for x time as i need to get these JD40's finished as these orders are over 18months old and people are still waiting, most would have understood. I realise hes doing this as a hobby and not to make profit (the Ctrl Alt thing) but tbh I have only done a couple of Group buys with him bu they have all gone wrong and been delayed but something. The Toxic set took long enough on its own it took me ages to get my Ctlr[Alt]60 and now the JD40 has taken this long. I think im done with anything Ctrl Alt which i dont want to be as they do good buys but I have honestly felt the service to be fairly shocking.

4. GeorgeK

Yeah - I don't get prioritising new group buys over existing ones. His exact message to me just now was

"Yeah I've been busy as the slider gb arrived so I've been shipping those out, your gh60 is packed and just needs to be dropped off so that'll happen Friday or Monday

As discussed before the 40 will follow after

Whenever something happens I will update you via the ticket"

So again he's put my GH60 order (which is nearly 4 years old) and my JD40 order (which is over 2 and a half years old) on hold for some other more recent group buy.

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I might be wrong, but I've heard that newer GBs were being prioritised to bring in funds to allow failed/old GBs to be completed/finished...

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Part of my last message from him was:

"It at no point was my responsibility to build these boards, they were clearly stated as built by Margo, but due to how things have panned out I'm having to do it, so yes it has to fit in around my schedule of raising a child 5 days a week on my own and having to full fill other personal and work commitments to fund things like making sure you get your order as well and dealing with any other gbs and such, like the time I've currently been donating to fullfill all the gh60 orders that other users abandoned, not to mention my own buys"

As i commented that i paid for the assembly service that was offered by Ctrl Alt as part of the buy. Well unfortunately you did offer it... The other issue is the website no longer lists the JD40 buy or has my order history from back them for some reason so I cant even look properly at the order. All i have is the email confirming my order.

Not pleased. Hopefully can still do group buys form other people but i feel i might just be staying away from Ctrl Alt except for Artisan cap buys such as Bro caps sales as those are just done on the site all the rest i think is done by Bro.

Your right below is a bit of text in my last message from bunny

I do this for zero profit and after using your funds to purchase the components, I have then had to use my own funds to purchase the replacement components without receiving so much as a thank you

Not only this, but I also funded all prototyping on the new PCBs so not only could I replace them for my few outstanding buyers, but also to make sure everyone in Ming's smallfry gb also got taken care of

Although that leaves me confused, as so is the keyboard im getting for the JD40 the original one I ordered or a revised version that was made for the Smallfry GB or what.

7. GeorgeK

The thing that gets me is that he's not even building any of my boards - all he has to do is stick the PCB and plate in a box and post the damned thing.

It's not so much the GH60 stuff that's bothering me - I am genuinely grateful that he's sorting those out - but the JD40 stuff. As far as I'm concerned his company sold me a product which it has failed to deliver. If he doesn't have the time to run all of this stuff then why do it in the first place or at the very least he should fulfill all of his existing commitments before starting / getting involved with new buys.

As for using his own funds to purchase replacement components that can only be down to mismanagement on his part - he was paid for X keyboards and then somehow doesn't have the money for X keyboards and so is having to use his own money to make up the difference...

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Setting up a company i.e. him and maybe a few mates, to manage groupbuys and offer a building service always looked like a shaky endeavour. I've seen the level of interest groupbuys can generate - this was always a likely outcome, IMO.

I'd like to see what guarantees of service (contract with the buyers), if any, this "company" offered. If it's anything like legally enforceable, I'd be pressing them/him ****ing hard to make good on his commitments. Two years is way past taking the piss.

9. GeorgeK

Unfortunately there is no guarantee or anything as they're not really a company (believe me I've investigated whether they're registered with Companies House)

They themselves say on their website
    (although they then contradict this slightly later on by saying "Profit should never be the reason a company exists. While it is no secret that any organization needs funding to function, the less emphasis we place on that the better off we are. Contrary to what some may think, we run largely off of donations only.")

From what I can tell bunnylake is the only person involved in the UK now and so he is trying to do this all on his own whilst having a family etc. If I was in his position however I would certainly keep a better track of my previous orders and fulfill my existing commitments before taking on any new ones :(

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Ah - didn't realise that. He was really quite ill for a spell though, in and out of hospital.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

There's a name for something similar to that. It's called a Ponzi scheme...

12. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Yea well its why i have requested my JD40 from him in parts and i will just build it myself as I have just given up caring. For now I will just keep my eye on r/Mechanicalkeyboards and deskthority for group buys and just steer clear of any ctl alt ones, untill a time when all the current issues are fixed and things are working better.

On a side note looks like i need to practice SMD soldering for the JD40 and my Ctrl[alt]60

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I bought a second hand Corsair K70 RGB and before I return it is wonder if it is possible to cure what I believe is called 'key chatter' When I press certain keys and it seems quite a lot of them it doubles the letters and sometimes trebles the letters I see on screen.

It is a known issue and wonder why the guy did not RMA the keyboard but there you go.

Is there a fix?

14. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

might be as easy as take the switch off and re attach or replace the switch for each key. that would be my attempted fix

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have contacted Corsair in the first instance but your suggestion, which had crossed my mind, I doubt I would have the ability and it is more than one switch so plenty of scope for trashing the kb.

16. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

What colour switches are on it?

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Red.

18. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Havent seen one of these on our forum yet so I thought Id post it.

I was looking to build a 60% board aound a Satan GH60 (my soldering skills arent quite up to doing a complete barebones GH60 like some of you folks were planning and the Satan version comes with all the diodes etc pre attached). I could also only get hold of Gateron Greens which werent ideal as I prefer a linear switch to a tacticle. My other concern was a lack of arrow keys. Although im fine using function layers to do it my kids also use my computer for their homework and it could cause them issues. So basically building 60% was just a bit of a labour of love to see me through the Spring.

I have been following the Tada68 for a while and have wanted one since they became available late last year however stock has been sparse. I always considered this the perfect form factor for me. This week I managed to pick one up from UK keycaps. Ticks all the boxes in that it has the arrow keys while keeping the small form, has Gateron blacks which dont feel too far removed from my favourite Cherry Reds and came in at a price I could have not come close to if I had continued with this build myself. Also build quality is superb.

[​IMG]

Well worth a look if you are considering a small form factor build. The supplied PBT keycaps are pretty good as well with a comparably thickness to GMK caps although not double shot.

Pictured next to my Legend for a size comparison.

19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

This frustrates me a great deal.

Because at no point was I involved in any part of taking orders, buying parts, anything at all, I got asked if I would build a run of boards, I was told it would be about 40, and that's what I did.

I got the parts for about 40 boards, I built them, granted it took a little while, but it was 40 keyboards. I gave all the built boards back in batches.

That's the extent of my involvement in the whole thing - at no point did I give anything back, because I didn't have anything to give back, I'm not sure where the idea of me having a load of stock and me returning a load of stock came from. I never had any more stock beyond everything that I built, and I never have or had access to a definitive list of what needed to be done, I just got given some stuff with a list of configurations and built them all.

Problems I had never really influenced the JD40 stuff, just one guys stuff who I had, who has now had his stuff back for over a year. However it looks like I've become a scapegoat for it, which is, like I say, frustrating.

even building the boards was a massive farce as everything was incorrect, stabs supplied were incorrect so I had to make my own, all the switches were pcb mount and the board didn't have holes for that, frustrating on all fronts. and being labelled as the reason why people don't have keyboards, when I couldn't influence that if I tried, is annoying.

Since building those keyboards, however many years ago it was, i've not seen any other keyboard parts to do with the JD40, I've not got boxes of it at my house because I never got given more than the parts to build the 40ish I built (I can't even remember the exact number, as it was that long ago that I did it)

20. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

It did indeed seem like you were made the scapegoat Margo, and I am sorry about that, Through out my communication with bunny he has usually said its been waiting with you or various other problems and as you can see from that direct Copy and paste.

like i have said I had waited a long time, if all 40 you got were built it would appear either order numbers were incorrect or something else. As from what i can assume now there were not enough built for everyone who ordered one built, and instead of being honest it looks like i have a new set of parts coming that may not have been purchased in the original order or something like that.

Either way, Im glad you have said something as its made me dislike whats happened even more and i do think i will steer clear of ctrl alt's Buys in future now

EDIT: More messages added

Last edited: 10 Apr 2017