1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon on the hook for £56 million of in-app refunds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Imagine how much their legal fees would have to be for them to withdraw and settle for a 56 million max payout. I am thinking they took the easy way out because it has been quite a while since this happened and many of those people will not ask for refunds now because of being lazy, don't care anymore or forgot about it.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I think Amazon would be far more worried about losing in court than the lawyers fees.

So far they have a summary judgement against them, that doesn't set precedent. If they took it to trial and lost it could cause Amazon (and Apple, Google, Valve) all kinds of problems with who's liable for unauthorised or fraudulent in-app purchases going forwards.

As it is they've lost three and a half-ish days of last year's profit, but any trouble they have with the FTC in future starts from zero as it were. It also gives them time to think about and implement more thorough authorisation processes and set standards for apps on the store.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Citing this as a precedent does anyone want to join my class action suit regarding in app purchasing while drunk?

5. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I was assuming they would have lost anyway. That makes sense though, thanks for your insight.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2017
  6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

It is way to easy to easy to buy stuff on amazon as a test when I was on amazon prime video on playstation I clicked on star wars and clicked on the buy button and proceeded to immediately buy the movie with out warning (sky on demand and other on demand places normally asks a "are you sure" type of box of some sort before purchasing) but I had no issues with Amazon as I did the amazon support thing and they cancelled it and refunded it right away (set a pin code now for purchases as that's silly to easy to buy stuff with no confirmation box)

7. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Interestingly Paypal used to be the same way. I accidentally bought Guild Wars: Eye of the North expansion. Didn't even have any money in my account or any accounts or cards linked to it.

I was trying to see the price and clicked buy. It just went though without any warning. Paypal contacted me about it and it was something about a good faith system they had in place on the weekends. At the time I was poor AF so I had no way to pay it and they just let it go. They changed their system since then but funny to think how it used to work.

8. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

WoW!!!!! Not a big surprise though!!:jawdrop:

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Am I the only one thinking the kids just shouldn't have access to their parents card(s)? It's not an Amazon fault if they can't prove the purchaser was/is not the card holder...

Learn to parent better, damn it!

10. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

That is the thing. You don't need their card. You just press buy and it buys with the stored info on their account.

11. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Yes, unfortunately that is the case:wallbash:

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Kids need their own accounts if they are old enough to have any access to any electronic devices and only gift cards should be used to buy anything on them.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

How does one set this pin code?

Long story short I recently gave our Fire Stick to my mother, because I preferred out Fire HD box (it loads up so much faster). Any way, yeah, Mum got a new TV and my brother wrecked her network cable whilst working on the floor so I decided to give her the stick as it works on wireless and she can use ITV player, Iplayer to catch up.

However, she's scared to use it because she's frightened she will watch something that is PPV without realising it. Her eyes ain't what they used to be (she's 70) so I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you put the pin in place. Then she can basically go for it like there's no tomorrow :)