1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Oh, I am quite excited about the movie to be honest. Had not heard about ut until someone started a worklog inspired by it. Seems interesting.

On a different note; once again I lucked out and just picked up Cixin Liu's Death's End during lunch today.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I am almost 100% sure that I will not like the movie at all. There are changes to the story and the characters that I most likely will not be able to live with. But then again, I read all of the books at least twice, many of them four or more times and in two languages. I might be too invested to accept change, especially when it comes to the main character.

You will enjoy Death's End, I'm sure.

Finally, I decided to re-read King's The Stand because ... well, because I felt like it, to be honest.

3. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Just finished Cixin Liu's Death's End last night...

...and what a ride. I'm still digesting it - it is quite heavy, and vast - but what an end to the series it was.

So what do you think; is the universe a dark forest?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's one of my favourite novels. The TV mini series had a nice 90's vibe about it, but I would still like to see it done properly.

5. perplekks45

Having only read Dark Forest I'm not sure, but it definitely sounds like an interesting proposition. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other intelligent beings out there who might even be a lot more advanced than us. The idea of the dark forest are scary but intriguing.

6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Rereading The Dark Tower series of books knowing it will enrich the experience of watching the movie later this year (if you've read the books, you know why the Clint Eastwood-esque has changed appearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. perplekks45

Did I understand you correctly that you can understand Idris Elba instead of Viggo Mortensen after you've read the books? Well, I must've skipped large parts in my multiple reads of the saga because I cannot understand the logic behind that at all. PM me please, if you can enlighten me.

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Don't get me wrong, I queried the choice over both Viggo and Javier
    but if the gunslinger is destined to repeat the quest over and over again in an infinite loop and "there are other worlds than these"
    , you can argue that it doesn't matter what the gunslinger looks like
    as long as he completes the quest to reach the dark tower saving all worlds each time.
    We can only wait and see how it plays out but i believe in Elba's acting chops to pull it off... And let's be honest, it's never going to be able to compete with the books even with the proposed TV shows... So making it a story that can work both for newcomers (a take on the original story) and for existing fans (as a continuation from the books) is a bit of a masterstroke as there will be enough Easter eggs for the fans to look out for but a decent origin story and potential set up for further stories within that universe...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited: 20 Apr 2017
  9. perplekks45

Answered via PM. :thumb:

Back on topic, though: halfway through The Stand and I am surprised at how well the story holds up even today.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The Shadow World: Inside the Global Arms Trade - Andrew Feinstein

Cannot recommend it enough, been by commute staple for the last few weeks.

11. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

The Cycle of Arawn, by Edward W Robertson

loving my kindle unlimited

12. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Lord of All Things - Andreas Eschbach

Interesting yarn about nanomachines; wrapped up with elements of aliens, pre-history & 'fate'...

13. perplekks45

Since The Stand I finished:

The Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter
    The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
    The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

I'm currently 2/3 through Red Dragon by Thomas Harris and will finish Liu's amazing trilogy with Death's End after that.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Marvel 1602 - Neil Gaiman

Last edited: 25 Jul 2017
  15. perplekks45

Finished Red Dragon and Death's End. Liu Cixin is a master. Such a strong end to a beautiful trilogy.

Now reading: By Gaslight - Steven Price.

MeMo likes this.
  16. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I'm slowly getting through his works when I get time, Damn I love his work - he can paint the most vivid of pictures.

I'm also re-reading The Dark Tower books by Stephen King, one of my favourite Fantasy series; the film doesn't look like much, but we'll see.

I also bought an english copy of All you need is Kill by Takeshi Obata after accidentally getting it in french. Love the art, direction, story. If you love the film 'Edge of Tomorrow', All you need is Kill is based on and is much more true to the original novel. The art is beautiful, the kind you'd expect from the creator of Death Note.

17. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

currently i am enjoying Jamie McFarlane and Parley, some space opera about some kids who become privateers for the Mars Navy, i like it, enjoying my amazon unlimited

thoroughly recommend Space Team series by Barry J Hutchison, its very funny in places, great anti hero stories, again sci-fi setting.

MeMo likes this.
  18. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Sounds interesting!!!! I am currently getting started on Arms And Influence. I will let ya'll know how it goes

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Arms and influence by John Schilling

Arms Control Wonk podcast bookclub selection for September :sigh:

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Tom Schelling?