1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 11 Apr 2017.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Sure. "Horses for courses" as they say.

If I used my PC predominantly for tasks which benefit from that many cores & threads then I'd be all over them.

I don't though, so buying one of the 8c/16t offerings would be a poor choice: higher cost and poorer performance (for what I do).

It'd be like buying a tractor for touring. Sure, the torque is impressive but, ya know... :lol:

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Another car analogy - I'd love a fast 2 seater roadster, and I probably spend more time in the car by myself, but having 4 extra seats there for when I DO need them is handy, and they don't exactly slow me down drastically even when I don't :lol:

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

The tractor easily carries 4 people and you never know, I might want to pull a plough one day.

Edit: before the analogies get out of hand :), I suppose what I'm saying in essence is: why sacrifice performance you will use today for extra capacity that sits idle until you may use it in the future, and pay more for the privellage? :lol:

Last edited: 12 Apr 2017
  4. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

I can see myself getting one of these, or the vanilla 1600, as a handbrake box that sits in the corner.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've got a feeling that like the 1700 the 1600 is going to be the one to have.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

aye it seems to be the part of choice - the non x (1700, 1600 and 1500)

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

£218 on OCUK. Please don't do this to me lol.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Spoil yourself, you've earned it, join the Ryzen club, spoil yourself, you've earned it, join the Ryzen club, spoil yourself, you've earned it, join the Ryzen club:D

9. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

True, dat. My wife's a photographer. I'm building her a new system. Would love to see Photoshop or (cheaper, also used widely by photographers for initial imports / edits) Lightroom.

Probably go Kaby 7600k for her, but considering she's coming off an old i3 2100, anything faster than a mouse on its exercise wheel will be faster. :)

-J

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Since last fall I have been transcoding my optical library for Plex... A cheap work horse or tracker, if you prefer Yadda, is very tempting.

Tags: Add Tags