1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Indeed. I think the people responsible for making and selling the boards will know the market a bit better than we do tbh.

However that said I am looking forward to the Ryzen APUs with ITX boards :)

2. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Has anyone submitted actual ryzen results? or are we only comparing against Intel skus?

Here's mine at stock:
    [​IMG]

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Self fulfilling prophecy problem.

They release only a small selection of small boards, less small boards sell, those low sales are used to justify to keep releasing only a small selection.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Until they get it very wrong as with the Ryzen launch

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hardly 'very wrong' - just not perfect.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I understand why we don't have mITX boards at launch but that doesn't mean that I agree with the board manufacturers or think that their approach is a good one.

I mean, you just have to look at how many ATX boards each manufacturer offers for each chipset: there are dozens of them. I can't believe that every single one of those SKUs all sell in any numbers, so why do they make so many models when there's hardly a bawhair between them?

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You guys should be fair to board manufacturers - Ryzen was originally supposed to be launched around now. So if the first ITX boards will show up in 1-3 months, that sounds pretty normal.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Snap, Ive deliberately held onto my Thermalright Truespirit, I cant fit it unless I bin off the graphics card and theres a fitting plate on its way too me for the AM4 socket. I like the idea of an ITX with a huge cooler and nigh on no noise.

9. Vault-Tec

Bit harsh isn't it? maybe you never had a 790i board at launch. Or a Sandy board, that would have had to be swapped out because of the SATA controller bug.

This stuff happens with any new launch. Especially a big one.

If you've seen any of Bindi's posts about motherboard manus over the past couple of years you will know there is no way they can simply make things just because any more. If there's no money in it they won't make it. It's self preservation. Bindi reckons we could see at least two or three big mobo hitters disappear over the next few years. In fact it was so bad that at one point he predicted we'd only be left with Giga and Asus.

MSI started pulling in their drawer strings ages ago. They've stopped making frivolous products like the Lightning ETC and have just concentrated on what they sell, rather than show off products. Even EVGA have severely cut down their Classified editions and limited their Kingpin cards to big chips only.

I know it sucks for you ITX guys but at the end of the day we are in harsh times. Plus I still think that if you sold ITX boards now a chunk of them would end up going back because "I can't get a signal on this HDMI output !".

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Drawstrings, not drawer strings. S'basically a variant of "tightening its belt," a belt being effectively a particularly wide and flat drawstring.

11. Vault-Tec

Cheers. I did think about Googling it, but drawer strings made me chuckle as I envisioned some medieval wench doing up her undergarment :D

12. Vault-Tec

Biostar have released both of their ITX AM4 boards..

350 comes in at $109 and the 370 $129. Good prices, shame they're either not available or bloody hard to get in the UK :(

Overclocking looks to be completely out, though that wouldn't matter so much given how much power you would be packing into such a tiny rig, IMO.

13. Vault-Tec

Not sure if this has been posted, but Buildzoid has "reviewed" the MSI X370 Tit.

Notes pretty cruddy components and only 6 phases for the CPU on £350 motherboard.

Says Asrock and Asus boards far better, use better components.

I wish all motherboard reviews were as thorough tbh. Would be nice to know exactly what it is we are being charged for. As it stands the Asrock Taichi is £120 less, and has over double the phases. Not only that but it has better quality phases too.

14. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

That's rather disappointing as it's a nice looking board. It's funny - I've never really rated MSI. Not based on anything concrete - there are just some companies that subconciously I regard as being better than others and MSI is down the list a way...

15. Vault-Tec

Yup and they are not really doing themselves any favours by using cheap components and getting their hands caught in the cookie jar.

I strongly suspect my 24 phase Big Bang Xpower II (try saying that with your mouth full !) also had crap components and would suspect would be why it died after just 11 months. Lots of phases, but poor quality ones. Unable to sustain the massive clocks my 3970x was capable of it seems.

16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

So I finally, after only about two months of waiting, receieved my Gigabyte X370 board and R7-1700. After fabricating new AM4-compatible hold-downs for my waterblock I installed and started up, but hit a brick wall when trying to install Win7 on it (yeah, I know, but I really don't want to go for Win10 until I absolutely have to). Seems Win7 doesn't recognize the USB-controllers, so I can't move through the installation procedure. Will hunt around at work for a PS/2 mouse/keyboard today though (found an old USB->PS/2 adapter deep in a drawer at home yesterday, but alas that didn't work.

I am quite anxious to get it running and to OC this beast. Temp readings in BIOS did show a lot of promise as it reportet 12C CPU temp under my cooling system.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Personally I’d make the move to 10, I shudder to think how slow Win7 must feel these days such were the improvements in system response through the various interations of windows. Win10 is very good.

Have you tried disabling all USB and 3rd party storage controllers in the BIOS.

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I see your point, and I may just have to bite the bullet this time. I am however, curious to see how the Ryzen performs on Win7 as "there is no official support".

I did not try disabling them all, but I did play around with the legacy-support. If the PS/2 peripherals doesn't work I'll try this as a last resort.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I installed Win 7 on a Z170 board last month, and it runs absolutely fine. Doesn't feel slow in the slightest.

I did have to slipstream USB3.0 drivers into the install media (and then manually load in the NVMe drivers), but it wasn't a difficult process at all. Journeyer, did you use the "Windows USB Installation Tool" from Gigabyte's website? I haven't used it myself but I understand that it adds USB3.0 drivers into the Win7 install media (I used the ASus equivalent to sort out my Win7 installation). The problem is that Win7 doesn't natively recognise USB3.0 ports and even your USB2.0 ports (if you have them) may run off the USB3.0 controller.

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I did not even know about it!
    Thank you; good tip, I'll check it out. :thumb: