1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

1) you need to slipstream the USB3 drivers as mentioned above
    2) but even if you install W7 on it, you will hit a roadblock from Microsoft, which disables Windows updates for Ryzen and Kaby Lake systems.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, you'll need to do something to add the USB3.0 drivers to the install media or you'll just not be able to get anywhere. The good news is that the process should be relatively painless :)

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There was an article two days back saying there was a DLL that re-enabled them.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Whether you trust the source of that DLL is up to you :)

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Yep, I've been reading the instructionals. Should be fairly straightforward. Will try this if the PS/2 peripherals fail (the Gigabyte board has a PS/2 port).

I know, and hopefully I'll get to see if it works. :geek:

Well, what's the worst that could happen? If it bricks my installation I'll just reformat. No biggie.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Seriously just Jump on 10, its generally an upgrade system performance wide, what are the reasons not too? Now all the Metro crap from 8 is cut out it’s like a quick version of 7, TBH, I loved Metro crap on my touch screen tablet so reckon they have ruined windows for touch with 10 as it is now more like 7 :( but I am a minority.

Can’t you still get 10 for free?

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

8. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

For me: repeated crashes during system updates (had to fix by a complete reinstall); crashes due to my old monitor webcam; crashes during install from a USB drive; updates that I cannot delay or reject; and advertising shoved in my face. I'm sure other people will have different complaints as well, but these are mine!

I had none of these problems with Windows 7, and none with my *NIX machines.

The sooner we can ditch DirectX the better - it's the only thing that tethers me to this piece of crap.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sounds like you have some poorly supported hardware, you can't blame win10 for that, you can control the updates now and you can uninstalled the office pop ups etc.

Seems very robust too me, I did have to ditch a creative soundcard but that was a bitch to get working without huge latency in Vista and 7 too because Creative....well less said about them the better, that was poorly supported hardware from launch..... :(

Apart from that zero issues with any machines in my house all on the free upgrade but I don't have much old kit, oldest thing is a Sony Vaio that is 8 years old.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

^Even if it's just to hear the computer go BROOOOOOP :lol:

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I wear specs, so Screen Magnifier does it for me! :p

13. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

And I tested a screen reader once... (I also wear glasses at a rating of -3.25)...

14. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

So...I caved. I am now running Win10, and I did a Blender run on the Ryzen file.
    Here's my result:

[​IMG]

22.86 seconds @4Ghz and RAM @3200Mhz

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Good stuff, a Ryzen build is so tempting at the mo, trying to hold off until things stabilize but the want for new gear is strong.

16. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

While I've only had it up and running for a few days, it seems pretty damn stable. No issues @4Ghz - I just set the voltage to 1.4 (and some change) and multiplier to 40x, and it all went without a hitch. Even the RAM (which apparently have given people issues on current BIOSes) has no complaints running at 3200Mhz on 1.35V. The most recent Gigabyte BIOS (F5) seems very solid. CPU registers at 23C (given our low airtemps these days), and I'm anxious to see if I can persuade it to go further since reviews seem to indicate that 4Ghz is the sweetspot for the 1700. Would love to see a sub 20sec blender run though... :geek:

17. Vault-Tec

That's a bloody fantastic result man. Wish I had Ryzen 1700 money :(

Ah well, maybe soon :)

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Sell the naming rights to your first born. Tell the wife that taxes were horrible this year. These chips are, and pardon my french, damn good (and well worth stretching the truth a bit for)! I'm going to push it further tonight, just waiting for this steam (Deus Ex:MD) download to finish. Here's to hoping I've got a golden one this time... :thumb:

19. Vault-Tec

I usually always get the crap ones :D 5820k is the best CPU I've had yet. Probably because some one didn't get their hands on it before sale.

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Yeah, me too...
    ...although that FX-62 I had back in the day was pretty good now that I think about it. Well, I'll find out shortly. Deus Ex has just finished downloading...