1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

ive found ram a issue, on kingston fury 2400 my 1700 does 4ghz easy but with corsair 3200 im stuck on 3.8ghz but not really had time to tinker with the settings to get more

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

This is interesting - do you know if the Kingston RAM is higher quality in some way other than the frequency?

3. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

What sort of temps are you getting at 4ghz under idle and load scenarios? I saw earlier you mentioned fabricating a water block for AM4 and getting 14c in bios, which is much lower than mine (I was expecting this temp tbh).

I'm cooling with an h115i AIO and really I'm far from impressed with the results... not sure if it's the H115i AIO or the CPU just running hot. Even at default clock, it's around 40-60c idle then <75c under load.

When I OC to 4ghz I've seen temps get to around 96-97c and even have had thermal shutdown :( now i'm running with offsets but nothing too much to avoid the high temps

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I have the same cooler on a 6700k at 4.5ghz overclock and my idle temps are below 25c load is around 52c. You have either not fitted the cooler correctly or the overclock requires too much voltage.

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I'm not sure, yet, what the load temps are, but I plan on testing this later tonight as I hope to get time to play around with it some more. My admittedly very good temps is due to my cooling system though (by the way, that thread is ancient - things have been updated and upgraded quite a bit since those days). I'm running the venerable silver DangerDen TDX block (I just had to fabricate new fasteners for it), but my coolant tank and radiator sits outside underneath the terrace to our house. As we are currently having air-temperatures around the 4C mark - well, that does wonders for keeping the chip cool. ;)

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You can't get down to 14c unless your ambient is at 14 or below.

7. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

hard to say. from what ive read the best ram to use is Samsung single sided, the corsair vengeance led will run at 3200mhz no problem but it has effected my overclock.

I'm leaving it at 3.8ghx and 3200 on the ram for now as asus should be bringing a new bios next month so I will have another fiddle with it then

8. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

True.
    I have been running my cooling system for seven years now, but I am still thrilled at seeing negative coolant temperatures in the winter. Fun stuff. :geek:

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

What is a killer for Ryzen, when it comes to clocks is ranks. Single rank modules are less demanding on memory subsystem than double rank, thus allowing higher clocks. And probably also less limiting for OC - flick's memory controller might have been at edge of stability, and using a dual rank memory or higher clock made the whole OC unstable.

10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Well this is strange looked up info on the ram and found it is supposed to be samsung, tried 4GHZ again with ram at 3200hz and booted fine, ran Cinebench and passed no problem and all with the same settings I tried before

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I finally caved and installed Win10. Until yesterday this has been all fine and dandy, but yesterday evening I sat down and finally found the time to fix the extruder for my 3D-printer, and to install a leadscrew upgrade for my z-axis. Happy with my work I fired it up, installed Arduino drivers on Win10 and started working on calibrating the new z-axis. That's when I encountered some problems.

Pronterface connects to the printer, and I can move the axes around, but when I actually try to print something it fails and freezes after about 10-20 seconds into the print - consistently (and the printer makes a rather unpleasant noise - something akin to torturing badgers). If I connect the printer to a Win7 laptop, it works fine. Possibly a driver issue? I don't know yet, so I will have to apply my google-fu for a bit...

So yeah, not entirely happy with the move to Win10...

The Ryzen however is still beautiful (though I haven't tried upping the clocks more yet ... the printer adventures took most of yesterday evening).

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If your printer receives commands directly rather than receiving the entire print and running itself, then check the baud rate for serial communications is correct. Old serial comms mean you need to configure everything manually, no OS automagic possible here.

13. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hmm, that's a good point. Though I didn't have to do this for Win7 - then it was pretty much plug and play. I'll have a look later. This might also be a good time to invest in that SD-reader for the Arduino. Though, I'd still have to use the PC for calibration obviously...

14. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

you should get one mate, right up your street with lots of fiddling about to squeeze out every bit of extra performance

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I know, the want is strong :D , I just want more PCIe for NVMe drives and GPUs so holding out to see what the HEDT platforms offer before I go settling on the X370 Taichi which is my favoured board at the mo.

16. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

the Taichi was on my wanted list along with the crosshair and gigabyte k7 but the crosshair came up first so jumped on one

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes I would of jumped on the CH6 were it not for the M2 location, having one of my Samsung 961s which can over heat and throttle underneath some hot GPUs is not ideal, the Taichi has it above the 1st GPU.

18. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I know what you mean, I have a intel 600p but its not too bad as I have a 200mm fan blowing over it but I can see crossfire might cause issues, cant remember which one but one of the x370'S has a m2 slot at the front and back if it

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I thought hulk hogan already had the copyright on 'threadripper'.
    [​IMG]

20. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i'm tempted to go back to AMD, my first crappy prebuilt and my first build both had AMD cpu's, i'm getting nostalgic i guess...

for someone who's not in a hurry to upgrade (but with money burning a hole in a pocket) do you guys think it'd be better to wait for coffee lake and see if there are any price drops (and maybe by some miracle reasonably priced new intel CPU's ) ?