1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Help my find/choose a GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d_stilgar, 5 May 2017.

1. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I have a 3u computer case that I use for my HTPC. I'd like to use it for gaming a little more. It currently has an R7 260x, which is fine for plenty of games, but can't do VR, which is what I'd like this computer to be capable of.

The issue is that I have very tight height restrictions on the GPU. My current GPU has its power connector coming out the rear of the card. I need any GPU I buy to also have its power out the back or else my case won't close.

Does anyone know of any GPUs that would fit my requirements? None of the normal GPU selection tools let you pick where the power connector is. Thanks in advance.

2. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Is there room for a standard side power connector if you use a low profile cable? Will open you up to a lot more choice, can't link as I'm on my phone but I believe ModDiy sell a low profile pci-e cable.

3. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Effectively, no. The top of a reference GPU PCB is more or less touching the top panel that closes the case. I'm realizing this is a pretty big limitation moving forward. I'll either have to solder my own headers onto any GPU I buy (which lets me get most cards), buy low-profile cards (which are all really crappy and almost never require extra power anyway), or try and hunt down any weird versions of cards where the power is coming from the back of the card.

1st world problems.