1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Desk or Floor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 11 May 2017.

?

Case Place: Desk or Floor

1. Desk

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Floor

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Am I the only floor person. I've never had my PC on the desk, always floor. I've ever never had space or feel it takes too much space on the desk.

BUT

I enjoy seeing the insides and never get to see them because no one makes a case with a roof window. No one accommodates floor placements with an eye for the view! Should they make cases with roof windows? I'm not overly sold on the alternative like TT P3.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Currently a desk person when I moved to itx and wanted to use the wasted space behind one of my monitors. Shorter cable runs rather than routing behind the desk to one of the corners and down was much easier.
    Previously I had the tower on the floor. Sat out of the way out of mind and acted as a foot rest when lounging. Turning on involved crawling under the desk but that was only a minor annoyance. Currently it sits behind the TV sucking up dog hairs which saves hoovering :lol:

TBH I think it's horses for courses. I always choose a case based on features such as HDD capacity, motherboard form factor,cable management, Fan placement followed by price rather than look. If it will sit on a desk then I may factor in looks a tad but I've never fully bought into the side pane window or liked the aggressive styling of "gaming" pc's. Usually those other factors dictate size and by extension location of placement. Placing a mammoth case on the desk is asking for it to be knocked over accidentally.

Guess I preference desk but only because I enjoy small builds currently and it's possible to hide them on a desk.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Floor, in between desk and wall in the corner, out of sight.

Not because I have an ugly case, I have a beautiful Silverstone FT-02 limited edition, single aluminium front, really good looking. But if I have the option to have the case in another room for total silent computing, I would. It's all just parts, I only look at them when they are being replaced/fixed.

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Neither. I have my PC on a side table, mainly because my desk isn't that big.

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Said floor but technical my 2 PC's are inside the desk cupboards, their close to the floor

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Used to have the Ncase on a sliding arm under the desk, but the A4 was too small for the arm to hold so now it sits on the desk. Might build a small shelf to move it back under the desk again.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It really has to go on the floor. It sort of dominates the room.

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Floor. I err towards quiet computing but it is never silent, so lets get that s**t as far away from my ears as possible.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I go for desk personally. Partly so I can see inside the case / have a tinker without lugging it up off the floor but also I find that it gets much less dusty that way

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Always on the desk, or in the past when my desk has been too small, on a pedestal at the side. Off the carpet, away from the dust bunnies.

11. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Always desk but then that depends on how silly your case size. Bearing in mind I have 2 GPUs and an atx mobo in a 21L case I see very little reason for anyone to have anything bigger than 40 or so litres but understandably of you have a stupidly oversized case then a desk isn't appropriate.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

BITD I always used to have them on the floor. I ran a cube case for many years, then a modded Chieftec Dragon with a SGI 550 motherboard and dual P3 Xeons in. Both were very large, and tbh back in those days you didn't see what was inside.

Ever since getting my first Alienware Predator 2 rig back in '08 I've either had them on a side table or the desk itself :)

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Technically 'desk' but it's on the bottom shelf so more similar to 'floor'.

It's a MATX cubey style case (Corsair Carbide Air 240) and I have it in 'desktop' orientation (motherboard horizontal), mainly to prevent stress on the graphics card PCB but it also means I can see inside through the window on the top, and gain access very easily if I need to.

Even the Corsair badge on the front rotates so you can have the case any way up you want:

(The desk is raised on bricks, 2 per corner, because my legs are too damn long. :D)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 May 2017
  14. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Floor, on laminate rather than carpet though. I think this is the best of both worlds as I have a pretty small desk, but don't need to worry about excessive amounts of dust.

I replaced my case recently with the Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass, so you get a pretty good view of the innards while it's on the floor.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ooh, that sliding arm thingy sounds like a great idea. Got a link to the one you used? I currently have my M1 on the desk but to be honest it's a bit noisy for my liking so I'd like to have the desktop between me and it, but I don't want to put it on the floor as it'll be too far away to plug anything into easily.

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Like this?

[​IMG]

I always have my PC on my desk, functionally because the one time I did have it on the floor it absorbed twice as much dust, and because otherwise my desk would end up accumulating junk...

17. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

1 on the floor, 3 desks

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yep that's the only one I can find. Shame the reviews complain of pants quality, though. They've just replaced it with the View 28 which is hellaugly.

19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Well it is Thermaltake :p

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Desk, joys of being a large ITX, downsizing is tempting again